My #6 Favorite Thing

edited February 2021 in General

I was talking with a 5-year-old today about recent fossil discoveries related to velociraptors (a highly recommended pastime) and suggested we watch a YouTube video together about the evolution of feathers. He was immediately on board, and exclaimed, "watching videos is my #6 favorite thing!" Of course, I was then compelled by law to ask about his Top 5.

Here is what he said:
#5. I quite like snuggles
#4. And playing with others
#3. And certainly birthdays
#2. And eating yummy and big things
#1. First is, of course, dinosaurs and other prehistoric carnivorous reptiles

I identified with this list so hard. Admittedly, I might make a few substitutions (prehistoric carnivorous reptiles are in my Top 10, but I'm not sure they get the #1 spot). To be clear, what I love about this list is that it's so pure. It's unadulterated joy.

What about y'all? What gives you unadulterated joy? What thrills you just to think about? What could you potentially get so excited about that you might accidentally barf?

Give me your #6 favorite thing, and then tell me what made it into the Top 5.

Comments

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)
    edited February 2021

After careful consideration I have realised that cuddling doesn't even make my top 10 at the moment 🙄

My top 5 are: (I don't know how to not make it header itself if I use the number sign/hash tag)

5: Crafting/scrapbooking
    4: Music
    3: Thrift shopping/antiquing
    2: Animals (especially my dog)
    1: My bestie ❤️

If we're extending it then my top 10 also Includes sunshine, quirky clothes/accessories, escape rooms, penpalling/Postcrossing and magic tricks 😁😍✨❤️

edit: I can't believe I forgot Five Guys burgers (and food in general.) And books! And reading! Oops (buying books and reading books are definitely two seperate hobbies)

• Everyone has to go number 2 unless you have a colostomy bag

• I got it narrowed to 7, but I'm sketchy on the order...

#7. Remodeling/restoration projects
    #6. Good gossip
    #5. Reading books with kids
    #4. Snuggles
    #3. All day bike rides
    #2. Bonfire parties
    #1. Driving fast

• edited February 2021

@BuggleBear, I also love Postcrossing! Definitely competing with dinosaurs and garage sales for a spot in my Top 10.

@FunCartel, I seriously considered listing the BM you have after swimming all day, but it seemed too crass...

• [Deleted User]Ennea2HugU (deleted user)

I think my number 6 if dancing. I think it is such a beautiful form of expression and I'm always enthralled by dancers. Wish I could have lessons, maybe someday I will. As for the rest:
    5- people
    4- kids
    3- playing card/board games
    2- cuddling
    1- reading
    (Though the order may vary)

• My number six is burgers from Five Guys.

1. my cats
    2. warm fuzzy feelings
    3. RuneScape
    4. cuddles
    5. spicy food

Not necessarily in that order.

1. Sunshine
    2. Air
    3. Water
    4. People
    5. Animals
    6. Plants
  • edited February 2021

One) Creating glass art (almost pure joy, except for inevitable cuts handling the glass edges and leaning into glass particles, not fun)
    Two) Listening to/exploring music genres and hits of prior decades (I think NSYC lead singer is quite talented and will do really well)
    Three) Cooking nice meals (next up is Adjaruli Khachapuri, basically cheese-stuffed bread, a recipe from the country of Georgia)
    Four) Connecting (this pandemic has created some unlikely friendships online or in person, up to and including the really charismatic barista whose eyes light up like Christmas trees when we see each other)
    Five) Hiking/Biking/Exercise (I cook like crazy, but I work it off, too, given the near-perfect weather here in California)

• @BellaSera I wonder if you would like PBS Eons?

https://m.youtube.com/c/eons/videos?disable_polymer=true&itct=CBQQ8JMBGAEiEwjmvOyosYvvAhUX18QKHXDsB6I=

It might possibly be a little much for a five year old but I am not sure.

• edited February 2021

@JasonCuddles, thank you! I do love Eons. In fact, the feather video might have been from Eons!

Sometimes I use bits from it in the dinosaur classes I teach, though it tends to be a bit long to watch whole episodes.

Do you also love prehistoric carnivorous reptiles?