Idle Hands

I almost always have something to do with my hands. From fidget jewelry to creating, it keeps my brain somewhat entertained. Today I've been working on knitting a hat. Apparently I knit faster when I'm distressed (therapy and other emotional doctor appointment today) which is kinda a nice discovery. Here's the hat. I only had the ridged beginning band as of last night.

Anyone else have hobbies for your idle hands?

Comments

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)
    edited March 2021

I make clothes for myself. I have sensory processing disorder and I like certain textures and get sensory 'cravings' for pressure or textures in certain places, and I like to fidget and 'stim' when I am stressed/anxious/thinking.

To this end, I have started working on a range of clothing tailor made to my exact specifications to match the sensory needs that I experience most frequently, ie, a heavy pinafore dress with glass bead embellishments and wide shoulder straps/bib front (basically a wearable weighted blanket, though its not noticeable that that's what it is) I'm also making a dress with kind of a goth/punk aesthetic, lots of mesh, chains, lace trims etc. Basically lots of things to fidget discreetly with.

So yeah, making those occupies my hands, as does wearing them 😊

• I play minecraft or games on my phone. Sometimes I’ll doodle. I play drums so my hands are usually playing some kind of beat on my legs if I’m idly sitting or waiting.

• [Deleted User]creedhands (deleted user)

I, too, play drums. Also I love giving massages, and I paint houses, so my hands are always going. Hence my username.

• edited March 2021

My current hands 'occupation' is pulling up weeds. I have a corner house with a large front garden and a large side garden. The HOA keeps me on my toes (or rather knees) enforcing a weed free landscape. Since I don't believe in weed-killers I pull them up by hand one at a time. This keeps me busy for an hour every day.

• Puzzles while listening to audiobooks.

• All very interesting habits!

@BuggleBear I need photos! LOVE the idea if a wearable weighted blanket! That could actually be very marketable imo.

@Sheena123 @creedhands what are your thoughts on face and hand massages? I've found that not many people have heard of them, but they are some of my favorite to recieve!

@UKGuy If I had to pull weeds for an hour a day I would feel like it was a punishment... maybe because that's one of the punishments my parents would use?

@littermate what kind of puzzles?

• @ChefKate

My table has hinges I have to work around!

• [Deleted User]cuddlestogive (deleted user)

My job requires the use of my hands, which I love. For down time, I've played the drums since I was 10, I'm trained in therapeutic massage and enjoy giving them. They relax me as much as the person I'm working on. I love doing puzzles as well as small projects around the house. Ok, even big ones since I just sold I house I bought to flip lol

• I love the puzzles, nice, I have done a few puzzles during recovery of my broken leg, 2 times, same leg. This Coke was the toughest to do. As a motor head, I stay very busy with my old cars/trucks, I have cut way back on my part time job of transporting boats. Some of my restoration's My 59 conv., was 8-1/2 yrs, 59 Jeep was 2 yrs., 59 Ford P/U was 1 yr., 59 Ford fire truck, it only needed some TLC, 6 months, 59 electric car was 1 month. 53 Ford truck was 3+ yrs. and just keeping them all on the road is a full time job. At one point I had 12 cars/trucks all tagged and on the road, way to many so I down sized to 6 now. So I really don't have much idle time for my hands. I guess one could say, I like working with my hands.