Lockdown birthdays

[Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

So by now, everyone here has likely experienced their birthday in lockdown, or at least during a global pandemic. It's mine today (2nd) and I am not feeling remotely into it. At 32, is this a sign of me properly getting older, and growing out of being excited for my birthday, or is everyone feeling this way, where birthdays are no different to any other day, and thus not exciting or special?

What did you do to make your birthday feel more... Birthday-ey?

Comments

• [Deleted User]Handsomewheels (deleted user)

@BuggleBear Happy Birthday! I think at our age birthdays lost their excitement long ago, lol. I actually had a few friends come over drink with me when it was my birthday last, so I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

• Happy Birthday! Have a great time.

• Back in December for my birthday I think we got take out (Detroit style pizza) or we went to a place we hadn't been in a while, with family, then I had work at my fun job, and got to end the day with my haunt family.

• [Deleted User]DeadGirlWalking (deleted user)

@BrianL back up, back up. Haunt family? Are you a scare actor? I was a scare actor and costume department!

• I want to STOP counting them, LOL. But my daughters keep reminding me, I have 1 local, so we always go out to eat and try to get the grandkids to go with us. I think I would go out to eat on my own if no one remembered. My favorite place to eat out is Cody's Roadhouse, the best steaks !!!!!

• [Deleted User]deluxebigmac (deleted user)

I turned 31 back in December and I'm fortunate enough that I've got small group of friends I meet with weekly for game nights, etc. We paused for a couple months when the pandemic started but as we learned to be safe around each other, who is in our bubbles, etc, we started meeting at my buddy's house for our game nights again, taking week(s) off here or there if there was suspicion of exposure.

That said, I normally like to try to go out, have a fancy dinner with a couple friends, or do something a little more upscale than usual for me on my birthday. Given that wasn't a great option this year, it was nice to have my game night to fall back on. We had a good time hanging out as we always do and my friend's wife made these AMAZING carrot cake cupcakes for my birthday. I'll probably remember that one more fondly than some of the ones I spent trying to be fancy haha.

• [Deleted User]percilla_law (deleted user)

Happy birthday @BuggleBear 🥳!
    I had my 21st in lockdown and I wasn't too excited for it since we couldn't do much. My brother got me the birthday cake wine from Olive Garden, my dad cooked me dinner, and I got my dog a little party hat to celebrate with me so that was pretty nice☺️

• Happy birthday @BuggleBear!

I had mine last week. I took a road trip and watched Netflix while on Zoom with my daughter.

I've definitely gone from party yay yay to, what would be meaningful in a quiet way? It's different every year but I still celebrate it somehow.

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

@BuggleBear Happy birthday, I hope it was great!! I'm going to sound really boring and am probably in the minority on this. I like celebrating other people's birthdays, but I mostly use mine to reflect on how I spent the past year and how I want to spend the next year of my life. It's kind of like a second New Years for me. It's important to me but I don't like making a big deal about it, or have people fussing over me.

• @BuggleBear Yep. I've got two haunt families. The first was back in Virginia where I worked an amusement park haunt and got my start, and as of last year I've got a new haunt family here in Texas. I've worked a total of 11 seasons in 9 years haunting, three of those seasons were last year, Summer (three weekends in June), Halloween (late September to early November weekends), and Winter (first three weekends of December), plus there was a special event in there as well. I'm hoping that this year I can bring the character I had for the last four years (I was in the same scare zone all four years) in VA out here in Texas.