Bucket List

I was wondering at what age you starting thinking about making your bucket list, if you have one yet-?
I know there is a lot of younger people here and they may not even have thought about it yet.
I didn't think about it until I hit 60 and never thought about a retirement plain until I was in my late 40's, then I thought, heck, I might live long enough to retire. In my family & friends I have seen so many work up to retirement and save every penny they could so they could do things & travel, then die months after they retire, then the family fights over the money that was left behind. That won't happen with me, I hope to spend my LAST dollar the day I die, LOL. Life is to short not to try to enjoy it.
I would like to go to Hawaii to see the Arizona memorial, the only reason I would go there. We have beaches here in FL.
As a motorhead & a pilot, I want to fly a P-51 Mustang, not cheap to rent one, but hoping for this year on that.
I would like to go back to Europe again, spend more time there, maybe travel by rail some. Go and see Stonehenge
Go to Easter Island to see it in person.
I'm not rich by any means, but in my will, I have friends & family that have made a big impact on me in my life. I mean true friends, not the ones that want to be your friend as long as you can do things for them. I have them listed and they will get a check from my estate and a note thanking them for there love & friendship and I will ask them to spend the money on something that they want, NOT what the need.
I think as one gets older, you think about how you'll be remembered, for me,
I guess it will be, he had fun in life and blew away a lot of money doing it !!!

Comments

• edited March 2021

I've had one for a long time. Progresswise I'm not doing all that well, tbh.

• To kill a man with my bare hands
    • To have sex on the Moon
    • To play a meaningful part in the complete abolition of the current educational system (globally I mean) and it's replacement with something that actually works
    • To have too many children to attempt keeping up with their birthdays or even their names
    • To be by far the largest landowner in Scotland, in order to bring back a healthy mix of disappeared fauna and flora and human communities
    • To die in bed on my 100th birthday, shot by a jealous husband

@waynewv don't waste your time with Stonehenge, it's hopeless. Not the henge itself, but the tourist experience of it. Waste of time. (I've been several times.) There will be a video somewhere online which will do the job. Instead, go to Callanish on the Island of Lewis. Much better.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

One of the joys of growing up in a fundamentalist Christian family is that you get hit with the concept of death really early!

I had the inevitability of my own death drummed into my head starting practically at birth ("and remember, death could come at any moment! it's not only old people who die! this could be your last day on earth!"), so I started thinking about what I wanted to get done really early.

My bucket list has changed a lot since I was five.

I've already chewed some really weird flavors of gum, and read all the Animorphs books, and learned to swim underwater, and tried coffee (I didn't like it), and stayed up all day and all night, and so on.

Last year I finally got a bed with curtains on! It's like a cave, except it's my bed and I can sleep in it! So that's another item off the list.

Currently the list of things I'd like to do before I die includes things like "read every Discworld book," "own every Discworld book," "get a really good stationary bike," "ride the bike while reading all kinds of books," "become properly ambidextrous," "get much better at reading Japanese," "get a copy of 'ξωτικά' by θεοδοσιάδης ναούμ," "draw more pictures"....

Ultimately I guess it all just comes down to "have fun." I want to have fun before I die! And I've already had a lot, so that's cool. I just want, you know... more.

As for how I'll be remembered once I'm dead, well—I'll be dead, won't I? So I won't care.

• edited March 2021

@DarrenWalker staying up all night! Yes that was a good one! What actually happens at midnight?? I mean I know it's nothing, I'm sure it's nothing .... but is it really nothing? Can you tell? I just want to know!

That bed sounds awesome.

• edited March 2021

@DarrenWalker , that's neat, yes I still remember my mom saying, always have clean underwear on in case you end up in the hospital, when I broke my leg, the 1st. time, I think it was in my late 40's and at the hospital they cut my pants off and her words came back to me and I thought, well, at least my undies are clean, LOL
    On Stonehenge, what a bummer, I've seen it on TV, they won't let you get close to the stones it appears.
    I had a blast riding in one of those cabs, we had our motorcycle with us, stayed a few days there, then
    drove to Dover and took the ferry over and stayed in Germany 3 weeks. Driving on the WRONG side of the road was a bear !!!!, LOL

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@CuddleDuncan: I don't know if it's at precisely midnight, but when the sky's been dark and silent for long enough—when the streets have been empty long enough, the houses filled with enough quiet, still bodies, minds caught in dream—the shadows swell for a second, and for a moment (but only a moment) a person alive and awake in the darkness can hear a whispering susurrus of not-quite-human voices all around them in the night.

No, none of that happens. Really and truly: Nothing unusual happens at all. It's the same as any other hour of the clock.

@waynewv: I remember being told that, too. I thought, But wait... if I'm really badly hurt, like hurt enough to need my pants taken off by somebody else, surely my underwear isn't going to be clean!

But I guess I was wrong, since you managed to get a broken leg without, uh, needing your brown pants.

• @CuddleDuncan "To die in bed on my 100th birthday, shot by a jealous husband" 😂😂😂 10/10 my favorite kind of humor!

• Im a Dodgers fan.
    Watch World Series Dodgers vs Yankees.
    (Clarify on tv though)

• I don't believe in bucket lists and I purposely avoid reading books with titles like '100 places to visit before you die'. Yes, there's things I'd like to do but I don't see the point in enumerating them or putting pressure on myself to check items off a list. I had enough of that when I was working.

• [Deleted User]Mmart (deleted user)

@UKGuy I have no list either. My life tends to be very spontaneous. My working life was full of planning, detail and constant follow up.

• I have more of a f*%kit list

• [Deleted User]Mmart (deleted user)

@FunCartel
    Lol. I have a long list of those.