Session

How many of you have actually cried during a session? I almost did at my last session that I had with someone. But I could not bring myself to do it. I must say though it was one of the most comforting experiences I have ever had.
If I do feel the need to cry during a session should I just let it out? For some reason I feel ashamed of doing it.

Comments

• I've never quite managed to cry properly, but I've had a damp eye on two or three occasions.

A very experienced and highly respected cuddle therapist in London reported that clients cry in about 40% of sessions.

So yes, you should just let it out.

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

@Andy1996 I almost did once. It had been a long time since I'd laid down next to someone and rested my head on their chest, and just doing that made me feel a ton of emotion. But I distracted myself and let it pass, because we hardly knew each other and I felt weird about it. I definitely don't think it's something to be ashamed of, though. If you feel emotionally safe with the person you're cuddling, you should absolutely let it out, IMO :)

@CuddleDuncan That's interesting, I had no idea it was so common!!

• If someone shames or judges you for crying, they are the ones with deep, unaddressed issues.

• Crying is cathartic, and good for releasing pent up feelings.

• Personally, I have no embarrassment if I get emotional in front of others. I'm an [extremely] emotional processor. What I usually do when I feel a strong wave of sadness or grief come is let the other person know. I'll say, "I'm getting really emotional. I'm okay but I understand if it makes you uncomfortable."

Nearly always, the reply is sympathy. Recently, I met with a cuddle buddy and this happened as we were talking. This buddy put his arm around me and was kind and compassionate.

I'm a trauma survivor. It's important to me to allow myself the full range of emotions - especially grief & sadness. I would guess if you were to cry, your buddy would comfort you.

• I'd ask your cuddle partner how comfortable they are with it and if they are cool, I say go for it. Not much as deeply emotionally healing as a good weeping session.