Questions about how things work

Okay, so I’ve got a couple of questions on how some things work on the forum, pure functionality questions:

How does one copy a quote from someone’s comment? I see people do it all the time and I have no idea how they do it.

What is this “spoiler alert” thing and how does one do it? I’m not even certain what is the purpose of it. I need this explained to me. I only understand it in the context of giving away a surprise in a movie. In these discussions, it doesn’t make sense to me and I have no idea how it’s done anyway.

Comments

• @Babichev - I’m with you there; I too have yet to stumble upon those answers hidden deep in these discussion topics somewhere.

• edited July 2021

This is a spoiler: >!
    This is a quote: >

Just add those before the quoted or spoilerd thing.

You can also hit the paragraph button above the text box.

As for why, I think the forum has a generic text markdown nonspecific to cuddling, there's also code for some reason

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)
    edited July 2021

Detailed answers:

How does one copy a quote from someone’s comment?
    First, you highlight the words you want to copy. If you're on a computer, you right-click to pull up the copy/paste menu (on mobile the menu appears automatically). Select "Copy."

Then go down to your own, new comment. If you want the quote to be indented and grey

like this,

you type a carrot and a space (like so: > ) and right-click to Paste the words you just copied after the carrot. Otherwise, just right-click and select "Paste."

What is this “spoiler alert” thing and how does one do it? I’m not even certain what is the purpose of it.
    A spoiler allows people to hide text within their comments.

This can be done to save space, to hide potentially sensitive material (like the solution to a puzzle, for instance), to politely conceal off-topic asides, etc.

To create a spoiler, type a carrot and an exclamation mark (like so: >! ) in front of the text you want to hide.

If you want to hide multiple paragraphs, you have to type ">! " in front of each paragraph and in the spaces between paragraphs (this works for quote text, too).

You can hit the "Preview" button to see whether you've gotten things right before posting.

• edited July 2021

XD

This is something new
    The Casper Slide part two
    Featuring the Platinum Band
    And this time
    We're going to get funky
    Funky
    Everybody clap your hands
    Clap, clap, clap, clap your hands
    Clap, clap, clap, clap your hands
    Alright now, we're going to do the basic step
    To the left
    Take it back now, y'all
    One hop this time
    Right foot, let's stomp
    Left foot, let's stomp
    Cha cha real smooth
    Turn it out
    To the left
    Take it back now y'all
    One hop this time
    Right foot, let's stomp
    Left foot, let's stomp

Okay, time for a serious response:

When making a comment or a post, you should see the pilcrow ¶ character. You can select* the text which you wish to format. Then tap/click said symbol which should allow you to select the format you want. Once you get used to it, you can also format manually as it will be self explanatory to do so.

Could be done like this...
    "How does one copy a quote from someone’s comment?"

Though I take it you're talking about this kind:

How does one copy a quote from someone’s comment?

I usually use spoilers to make my writing look even more concise, if I am in the mood to be a little silly/build suspense. Or if adding additional information/side note.

• @Babichev I was just thinking it would be nice if there was a thread called "Super cool things to do with fonts and messages etc."
    There are lots of things on here that I don't understand either.

The reason why I use a spoiler is the idea that maybe my information is off OP's topic or I am bantering back in forth with one specific person OR..... in the case of the most recent thread... I feel like when my response is SUPER LONG people might not want to read my stuff and this way it doesn't take up the whole page. (There are some people that I just skip right over because its sometimes challenging to read an off topic novella)

Its also fun to make it interesting for the brain just like Bold font or the offset gray in the quote. It makes your eye pay attention to the intensity of it. I love having the option of more than just ALL SHOUTY CAPITALS!!! :)

• @DarrenWalker Takes the cake! 😊

• @DarrenWalker is always the hero of the story!

Good, goood. My plan is working. No one will suspect!

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)
    edited July 2021

@DarrenWalker is the bat you bring to a knife fight!

EDIT: Wait... oops. Did you mean this kind of bat, @littermate ?

• [Deleted User]DarkLordChungus (deleted user)

@squeakytoy

I find this hilarious, as Darren usually has a number of knives on his person.

I'm not sure if he can transform into a bat, or a swarm of bats, however.

@DarkLordChungus Wait, what, really? He carries around knives? Knowing that does make the tagline a lot funnier :joy: I wouldn't have guessed.

• Well... I've seen photographic evidence of him in bat form... So... Totally true! 🦇

@squeakytoy

Yup. The number of knives varies. He's only got three on him right now.

@DarkLordChungus Only three...? Wait, what's the upper limit? Just how many knives does he own? And how many has he carried at once?

A few weeks ago we walked to the grocery store and he had eight on him for that occasion. I think that might have been the record for most carried, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm not sure how many knives he has in total, though.

@squeakytoy: How many knives do I own? Hmm. That's a tricky question. Do blades in multitools count as knives? A machete is probably too long to count, as is the blade in my walking stick, but what about scalpels and woodcarving tools—how short is too short to count? And kitchen knives? It's a tough one.

• I carry a Swiss Army knife in my purse. I have to remember to take it out when I fly on a plane or go to City Hall.

@DarrenWalker is da bomb, no doubt about that.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the helpful hints. If others have functionality questions feel free to ask them in this thread, I won’t consider it a hijack.

• This has been very helpful, thank you @DarrenWalker for the deets :)

• edited July 2021

Not to take away from the helpful instructions @DarrenWalker gave, but just for clarification: the > character is called a greater-than sign, and the ^ character is called a caret.

I’m going to guess he was dictating text and the voice recognition heard “carrot.”

“Ehhhh, what’s up, doc?” 🐰 🥕 😉

@nurturingman: No, I'm just that ill-informed about what all the various pointy symbols are called, alas. Thanks for the clarification!

(When I said "carrot," I meant this: >
    I didn't mean <, ^, v, ←, ↑, ↓, →, or 🥕!)

• @DarrenWalker Not Karat, the purity of gold, or Carat, .2 of a gram, usually used in gemstones, especially in diamonds💎, or the exponential operator, aka 2^3=8,🙃

• edited July 2021

Funny that tonight, after this talk of @DarrenWalker carrying multiple knives on his person, I happen to watch S1E2 of Shadow and Bone on Netflix. I highly recommend watching 17:23–17:53!