The Moon:

edited July 2021 in General

It is orange-red-ish tonight. 🤔

Even though I love watching the moon and have done so occasionally. I didn't realize something was off tonight when I watched it, til someone pointed out. 😅

Who else got to see it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

Here in North Dakota, @DarkLordChungus and I noticed it when we walked to the grocery store earlier. Fires in Canada, apparently.

• Did not see the moon tonight. What was up?

• @Babichev according to one article I glanced at, it seems the 'color change' will occur from July, 16th - 26th, 2021.

• edited July 2021

Can you post a link to the article?

I thought the color of it a lot had to do with weather conditions. It tends to be more orange and yellow in the warmer months.

Ha, maybe not so much weather conditions as that the moon hangs closer to the horizon than in the winter.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/24jun_moonillusion

• Oohh wow! Thanks @Lovelight for posting this I’m going to keep a watch on the moon now.
    Did you get any pictures?

• I missed or, or we hardly get the opportunity here in the city 🏙 ….. if you guys are able to stargaze you are soo lucky! 🌌

• Someone please click pictures

• edited July 2021

I accidentally posted my comment twice and can’t find a way to delete.

• The sun was orange here in Ontario. I haven’t been watching the news recently - are the fires in BC/AB or Ontario as well? Amazing that the smoke would travel so many miles. Not looking forward to flying home in the morning, my poor freakin’ lungs will suffer.

• @DarrenWalker awesome! I was taking a walk. :)

@Babichev "Catch the famous dwarf planet, the shadow of Earth, and a Full Moon in the sky from July 16 to 23." - https://astronomy.com/observing/news/2021/07/the-sky-this-week-from-july-16-to-23

Interesting, I'll try to take note of that. I want to watch it more now, cause it seems even more fascinating.

@Melomaniac9 I missed it. Hopefully if I spot the difference again tonight I'll take one or two. :)

@cuddles_ndream I think you will got a chance.

@Catloaf me neither, though checking briefly there appears to have been this month/within the last couple of days. :/

Yes, that's an interesting silver lining.

• @Catloaf it has been pretty bad the last few days here :/ hopefully you're not too sensitive to it.

• edited July 2021

@Melomaniac9 Hope they are okay, took with my phone and no tripod. lol. :P

PS. They look kind of(?): close to the real deal.

• Minus the blur and the color of the moon is a lot more subtle in person. Likewise, the orange ring around it is even more subtle. I don't know if it disappeared by the time I got to the second spot. Though in person the orange ring went away when I saw it from another spot.

PS. This photo is terrible. XD

• edited July 2021

@Lovelight thank yoouuu so much!! Those are lovely pictures🤩

• @Melomaniac9 no worries. 😊

• edited July 2021

@Lovelight Friday Fullmoon for you🤩 this picture does not do justice to how wondrous the moon was last night 😍

• edited July 2021

@Melomaniac9 I know, right. I just spent a few seconds being amazed by one of those lights, cause I thought it was the moon. :pensive:

Edit: Actually, I realized I still can't really find it. Feels like a "where is the moon" game. 😂

Though it's a good picture nonetheless. :)

• These are from my home in Ohio Friday July 23rd.

• edited July 2021

@Lovelight It is a game😂😂you have to find the moon😜‘Twas a fullmoon & we were unsupervised 😂😂and a bit tipsy while that picture was taken🤦🏽‍♀️

• Omg!! @Lovelight ~ Find the Moon game!!
    🤣😂🤣 Thought I'd won when I saw @OhioMike 's photos... But nope! It didn't make up for completely missing it in @Melomaniac9 's!! 🌕

• @quixotic_life the moon was playing tricks😂
    Hide & seek eh!!