Extrovert or Introvert...or ambivert?

https://psychcentral.com/health/how-to-find-joy-in-being-alone-guide-for-extroverts-introverts-and-ambiverts

Interesting article I thought I'd share- always like to hear other's thoughts and ideas on this. The topics of psychology and different personality/social types intrigues me. Which one are you? Or both? And why?

The great thing about cuddling is that you can recharge by being together in a low key relaxing way with no pressure or need to be "on" if you are an introvert and just want to recharge- as introverts of course like quality time with others too.

And if you are an extrovert, it's a great way to reconnect after feeling isolated and enjoy time together- my extended social sessions are especially great for that!

Feeling like you're having an especially difficult time in transitioning back to being social or missing that time? A cuddle session can be a great way to "practice" being social again if you are unsure of how you will be in different situations or when you return to the workplace. You can spend time "alone" together during a cuddle!

Comments

• Emotional energy is, for me, a finite resource. I'm notorious for suddenly deciding I don't want to be social anymore, and leaving or going to another room. I wasn't always this way, I remember my early life I was very outspoken and interacted with others without care. I experienced some difficulties in childhood and became less trusting of others and more conscious of myself. I put on something like a mask to better fit in, because my true self wasn't acceptable.

Keeping up the facade takes energy and for most people I have a limited time before I need a break.

For some people, I don't need to pretend and I can just be myself. Those people don't require any energy and I feel like I can be around them 24/7 without needing to recharge. My wife and close friends to name a few.

Part of my coming of age was realizing that I don't need to wear the mask at all, and my genuine self is enough. Harder to do than to say. Part of the problem is I don't really know how to interact around others, I learned mirroring personality traits early on to become more 'normal'.

I think I'm an extrovert in my truest self, and I've created barriers that are difficult to maintain. I love meeting new people, and public speaking is an incredible rush. I'm still working on figuring out who I am and what that means.

• Introvert in real life

Extrovert online

• "... alone together during a cuddle" ~
    I ♡♡♡ this!

I'm an introvert who enjoys semi-structured 1:1 time. So cuddling has been great for me in that way.

And there have been times where I have felt "alone" while being cuddled. Like when they fall asleep, and I'm wrapped around this person, or them around me, and I'm grinning like a goofball listening to them drift off. It just makes me so happy to be at that level of comfort with another being. Plus, sleepy noises and involuntary twitches are hella cute!!

And I know at least once my cuddle buddy felt that too. Though not cute at all. It was a time I was so far into the depths of my mind and emotions, I wasn't able to give back. I was just being held and felt safe to be sobbing.
    clarification note: I'd asked him if I could take my wreck of a self over there for that first. He said yes and totally took care of me all night (it was a true Cuddle Comfort moment right there).

• [Deleted User]CharlesThePoet (deleted user)

At my core I am a familiavert, meaning that I have a family group that I never really tire of turning to, and enjoy having them turn to me.

Pragmatically I am whatever I need to be to complete the task at hand, and make it home safely.

• @CharlesThePoet Love this term- “familiavert”- always appreciate a good play on words. It has the sound of familiar and shows how we can create our own safe space or cuddle cloud of people around us who can be like family.

• Wow thanks for this, great read! I thought I best defined myself as an extroverted introvert but it seems ambivert is more fitting, seeing the "situational" trait there.
    Too much to think about at midnight haha.
    Loved the "... alone together during a cuddle" part too, even when I want to be alone and wonder my own mind in peace, would love to do this while cuddling even more so.

• Extrovert, Myers Briggs ENFJ! I love meeting and communicating with new people. Social interactions energize me, rather than much alone time.

• Ambivert. Familiavert is a great word and concept, and I personally believe chosen families are in many ways more powerful than genetic considerations and circumstances. My tribe is my tribe - empathy and respect are earned, not granted because of blood. I get charged by social conditions, but I also require some solitude to write, create, zen/chill, and unplug.

• [Deleted User]HeatherW (deleted user)

I’m most definitely an introvert but I open up around those I know. I also am better at opening up in a smaller gathering rather than a larger one. I love being introverted, honestly. I keep my circle small and it’s perfect. I love my alone time, too. It’s very precious for me to refresh my energy. Then I’m happy to connect with individuals. ☺️

• Online: Introvert
    Offline: HUGE Introvert

• @HeatherW im going to 2nd every single thing that you said!! 😊

& @BrianL lmao 🤣 I honestly don’t know if you’re being serious or have a really upbeat sense of humor but I’m always Lol’ing @ your comments 😅

• With all the boner and boundary pushing threads I am surprised there aren’t any perverts.

• Interesting that you posted this as I revamped my profile last week and added a bit about how I am an ambivert! I enjoy being social and am outgoing but I do need time to recharge.
    This photo is definitely me at times, hahah any one else feel the same way?

From the Latin, per means "thoroughly, to ill effect", leading to words like persecute, and persuade, but also interestingly to perfect and persevere...

Vert is from the root word vertere meaning "to turn".

So a pervert is simply one thoroughly turned to ill effect. Which is why we often, and usually unconsciously, associate words like bent, twisted, and warped with perversion...

• edited July 2021

@jasmineluv lovely article!
    Definitely an AMBIVERT!!

Bring an extremely sensitive empath, I realize I need to recharge, I learned this later in life. I do feel energized in groups but I’m also exhausted after being around many people. I’m learning not to absorb energies that drain me. My natural tendencies are to give and take care of the next person (I do this without an ulterior motive) more often I’m happy but sometimes in certain circumstances it leaves me exhausted.

@CharlesThePoet I love that word Familiavert! As @Sideon explains blood doesn’t make you family.
    I have a LOGICAL family that I have chosen to surround me, my tribe as Sid mentioned, the ones that have my back always. Since I didn’t really have a choice in picking my biological one😂

@FunCartel they are just hiding incognito
    @CharlesThePoet definition 🤦🏽‍♀️ Spot on

@SnshineScarlett I am that meme😂😂😂

• @CharlesThePoet Yes I am well aware of what all of that means.

Qui perdis aliquis a iocus

• My natural tendencies are to give and take care of the next person (I do this without an ulterior motive) more often I’m happy @Melomaniac9 💯 🌌 ♥️ 🤗!!!

• Ambivert / social anxiety. 🙋‍♂️

Clarify not shy or introverted.

@FunCartel

In this scene am I Johnny Ringo, or Doc Holiday?

• [Deleted User]squeakytoy (deleted user)

I'm a social introvert! I wouldn't call myself an ambivert because I only get re-energized from spending time alone. But I love spending time with other people, as long as my social battery is well charged :)

• @cuddles_ndream Here, I'm completely serious. I've only left my room today for food and to use the restroom.

• @BrianL now I know you’re serious … I’ll take that perspective from you now from now on.

• @Melomaniac9 ty !!!’ 😊☺️

• @cuddles_ndream If I'm joking I'll indicated it somehow. Like "heh" or "lol". Only exception is inside jokes, which I don't have with anyone here, so not really relevant.

• I’m ambivert/mostly introverted as being with a few specific people re-energizes me but being with most people/social interactions drains my energy.

It’s not about how social we are but from where we get our energy restored: Alone or with others.

• I’m 90% introvert. And then occasionally the pendulum swings to the other side and I can’t stop talking. In these moments I find that if I talk continuously, I don’t get a chance to feel self conscious.
    Sleep is what restores me. I don’t know if that’s intro or extro. Most of my dreams are conversational. And as far as I know I’m in a social setting. Until I wake up.

• Maybe I'm just cat like...