New Name for Virtual Cuddle

We need a better name for virtual cuddles. Suggestions please!

If in doubt, write it down anyway. We might be able to bolt it together with another half-suggestion to make something good.

(This post is about the name of the activity, and comments about the activity itself are off-topic in this thread. If you would like to make negative or disparaging comments about virtual cuddling, please feel free to put a bucket over your head and sit in the corner.)

I thought this thing would tend to disappear as we headed out of lockdown but it's just not.

1. What should we call video 'cuddle' sessions?30 votes
    1. Virtual Cuddle
      36.67%
    2. Remote Cuddle
        6.67%
    3. Video Cuddle
        0.00%
    4. Virtual/Remote/Video Cosseting
        3.33%
    5. Virtual/Remote/Video Snug (_not_ snuggle)
        0.00%
    6. Transient Emotional Bonding at a Distance
      10.00%
    7. Human Value Enhancement By Electronic Means (HUVEBEM)
        3.33%
    8. CuddleDuncan, mate, I love you man but these names are all shite. I've posted something below
      40.00%

Comments

• Because I use Skype, I just call it what it is. A Skype session. So I guess it would depend on what medium others use. But there’s no confusion in what Skype is for the most part and by calling it a session, that means it can be more than a chat. It can be yoga, board games, word games, singing. In the end, it’s a session.

• [Deleted User]Chris55555 (deleted user)

Agree with above. It’s a virtual chat (zoom, Skype, etc.). For me it is my least favourite way of communicating. I would rather speak in person or even write a well thought out letter.

• edited July 2021

Yes but a Skype session of what? Sure, you can have a virtual chat, and it blows my mind every time that we can do such a thing. @Sheena123 you are describing what might be called 'virtual companionship', and it's something the world has really needed over the last year. My family have been doing that occasionally over lockdown and it's been great, we'll probably keep doing it for ever since we live all over the place.

As another example I do what I call 'Skype Sessions' all the time: they are most commonly physics lessons.

But we're not talking about all the wide array of wonderful things that you can do in a Skype session, we're specifically looking for a name for an online session that is designed and run to evoke many of the feelings and benefits of a physical cuddle, and succeeds in doing so.

• Ok. That sounded a little sarcastic/rude… I was just trying to help. I’ll butt out. Carry on.

• edited July 2021

@Sheena123 What? No, I didn't mean it like that at all. Sorry.

Edit: I've edited my previous post for tone.

• edited July 2021

The transient emotional bonding from a distance aspect is the closest other name which I could relate “virtual cuddling” to.

While cosseting, although it is a cute word, has a bit of a negative connotation, as it has connections to the word ‘coddling’ for me, which is a negative word to describe helicopter parents who overprotect their kids from challenges and ultimately from development and growth. So I unfortunately cannot support the cosseting name, as it has too much negativity tied to that word (for me).

• edited July 2021

@CuddleDuncan I think they should be called Virtual Companionship Sessions. Since there obviously isn't any actual physical cuddling possible virtually, a video cuddle session is really more of a companionship session in my eyes. Also, I'm not surprised the virtual cuddle/companionship sessions are still popular because telehealth sessions with your doctor or psychotherapist are still popular too. The pandemic made video calls much more commonplace, so I think they will still be around in a much greater capacity even when we are totally through this pandemic.

• edited July 2021

@MattsWeather

a video cuddle session is really more of a companionship session in my eyes.

They are utterly different. I mean shockingly different. It is entirely impossible to confuse them. A companionship session is much more like a physics lesson than it is like a virtual cuddle.

If you think they are even vaguely similar (beyond the mechanics) then you are doing one (or both) of them wrong.

I think they will still be around in a much greater capacity even when we are totally through this pandemic.

I entirely agree with that.

@NicoSuggs I didn't think of 'coddling' but I believe you're right, it's not helpful to us in this question.

• I like initialisms so I'd go with, "ACC"

Alternative Connection & Comfort
    Ancillary Connection & Comfort
    Adapted Connection & Comfort
    Augmented Connection & Comfort
    Etc. ~ There are a lot of good, "A" words that could work (I put them in order of what I'd use).

Or the, "CC" in "ACC" could stand for, "Cuddle Comfort"

Alternative Cuddle Comfort
    Ancillary Cuddle Comfort
    Adapted Cuddle Comfort
    Augmented Cuddle Comfort

You down with ACC?
    Yeah, you know me.

I know... I'm dating myself with ridiculousness... 😜

• Online cuddle chat, if you just can't handle saying "virtual" anymore.

I mean, we're in a cyberpunk dystopia, we may as well use the most simple-effective terms.

• Excellent discussion topic. A name change might help this activity gain broader acceptance. I believe the resistance you have seen is related more to the name than the activity. But the activity is so novel that you may not be able to find just a couple of words that convey the meaning. Right now, you probably need a paragraph to explain it to someone.
    I like the suggestion from @quixotic_life. A catchy acronym that can be pronounced as a word and would make someone curious. ACC is a little short (imo). And option 7 (HUVEBEM) doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue. My first attempt (admittedly inadequate) would be something like RECUVING (REmote CUddling / Virtually INteractinG). The emphasis would be on the single word and not the expanded version. That’s all I got. Good Luck, I hope it works out.

• @cualtzin I like RECUVING! It sounds cute and for whatever reason it sounds like something pleasant too!!

• Lol Duncan 😂 I just call it a video session. I have many platforms I can work with like WhatsApp, Discord, FB Messenger, Skype, FaceTime…

• [Deleted User]Cuddleslikeapro (deleted user)
    edited July 2021

• @CuddleDuncan

@MattsWeather ~ "a video cuddle session is really more of a companionship session in my eyes."

@CuddleDuncan ~ "They are utterly different. I mean shockingly different. It is entirely impossible to confuse them. A companionship session is much more like a physics lesson than it is like a virtual cuddle."

"If you think they are even vaguely similar (beyond the mechanics) then you are doing one (or both) of them wrong."

Why would you say that? If it's not a for "companionship" (see definition), then what would be the point?

Further, in what ways do you equate a companionship session to be more like a physics lesson than a virtual cuddle?? Because, IMO, that makes zero sense. IDK ~ but I think maybe you're the one doing them wrong.

• [Deleted User]Cuddleslikeapro (deleted user)
    edited July 2021

• edited July 2021

@quixotic_life A sense of companionship does create the foundation for a successful virtual session. The virtual cuddle as described by OP would expand upon this companionship. It would include exercises/activities that attempt to recreate some of the benefits of actual cuddling. So it would be like an "enhanced virtual session". In practical terms, it might boost the oxytocin that helps make cuddling so enjoyable. And I believe this is why OP was looking for a new name. The new name could help distinguish the activity from a standard virtual session. And it might help to overcome some reluctance and skepticism. However, the original intent is possibly becoming obscured due to communication issues,

• @CuddleDuncan I think our differing perspectives on this simply shows us how much you can truly do within a virtual cuddle session. As long as it's platonic, there are no limits. This is probably why it's hard to pin down one clear and concise name for us all to use uniformly when talking about a virtual cuddle.
    I think we only started calling it "virtual cuddling" because I'm sure most of us that love to cuddle had a hard time abruptly having to stop cuddling when the pandemic started. So to try and band-aid that, people had video calls with their cuddle partners and called it virtual cuddling to try and have an alternative that is "cuddle session like" during a time when actual cuddling was discouraged, which piggyback's off of @cualtzin 's point about people's desire to create an enhanced virtual session that included experiences that boost oxytocin.
    I say this because if virtual cuddling was born in some other situation without a pandemic being the catalyst, it probably would have been called something different entirely.
    @quixotic_life I'm glad you resonate with my perspective.

• edited August 2021

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread, thank you everybody. I'm going to read it all again and think about it when I have time.

I quite like RECUVING :)

A certain amount of companionship is essential for a virtual cuddle, and it's extremely helpful - although not quite essential - for a successful physics lesson. But virtual cuddling has the same relationship to companship as physical cuddling does. If you are sitting in two separate chairs having a meaningful conversation you may be enjoying a wonderful sense of companionship, but you are not cuddling. Similarly, having a warm and lovely chat online (perhaps sharing an activity) can evoke a great sense of companionship, but it's not virtual cuddling.

A good physics lesson with somebody you know well can evoke very strong feelings of companionship. Not only do you have the cozy chat element and the shared activity, you have the additional bonding element of teaching/learning. So I partly retract my earlier statement: in fact a successful online physics lesson with a somebody you know well is more like a virtual cuddle than is an ordinary companionship session, because - like a virtual cuddle - it has specific bonding elements that a simple companionship session does not have.

• "The activity formally known as virtual cuddle"

• edited August 2021

🖥🤗 👈 The symbols for the activity formerly known as “virtual cuddle”

• I just call 'em virtual sessions because a 'session' is just that - an organized meeting between two people. I have significantly discounted the price of my virtual sessions given that they are more suitable for getting to know each other before planning or booking for a physical in-person session.

My 30 minute consultations for clients interested in booking sometime in the future are free, and explicitly for asking and answering questions. Basically just a relaying of information to the client on how this works. If you book a virtual session with me however, it's more than likely I am going to end up doing some emotional labour, or caring for you in some way. At that point, and because we are not in-person with each other, I price that at about $20 per hour.