How do I best politely tell a potential client to "Get to the point" without being mean?

I am wondering if any of y'all have had any luck letting a client know they need to give you relevant details without being mean or upsetting.

I am soooo sick of people wasting my time for hours or days, because they're not letting me know basic details like their name, when, where, and for how long.

It's on my profile that I need X information. I started out just blatantly asking, and have tried gently hinting that I need relevant information.

For example:
When I blatantly asked, I got this response: "John, night time, your house."

When I tried gently hinting I got this response: "I like cuddling, and I work at X place for 4 years."

Please help me waste less time.

Comments

• edited August 2021

Many people are terrible communicators, especially online. Sometimes I find it takes many messages back and forth just to get information that could have easily been communicated in one or two.

That said, I have two suggestions:
    1. shorten your profile to focus on the most important information you want somebody to know before they message you. Most cuddlers don't reply to messages, and consequently few potential clients are going to invest several minutes reading all those paragraphs before they even know if you'll reply. Sorry.
    2. Be very explicit about what you're asking for, more explicit than you're being here. "In order to schedule a session, give me 3 dates and times you are available and how long of a session you would like."

And a third, alternative suggestion that may supercede the others...
    3. Just block people who can't manage basic communication. For me, it's no longer worth dealing with these people. You may agree or disagree.

• edited August 2021

Option 3. from above sounds good, as it may be an indicator of their behavior in person.

Though I'm not very great at communicating online, that just motivates me more to keep it short and simple and get to the point faster.

You can also ask them if they'd like to schedule a virtual consultation session, whether free or for a small fee before proceeding.

Though, I'm not a professional cuddler so I may not give as good advice as another professional cuddler might.

• It would be a shame to trim down that profile. My only suggestion would be to move the requirements up near the top so that they're easier to find. (And as sunnysideup suggested, consider a short video chat or phone call to set up the session. It'll double as extra screening, as you might get a broad sense of their intentions from how they conduct themselves.)

• I have found, through bitter experience, that the only way to get simple answers out of about 50% of the population is to frame the conversation so that even an unusually stupid 6 year old, who is drunk and speaks limited English, could not possibly get it wrong.

• Anyone incapable of reading and answering my relevant questions are always a problem. Always.
    Speaking from experience.

Look, the members who have a genuine interest in cuddling, want to connect, make you comfortable, and have not only yours but their safety in mind. They will have no problem reading profiles after making contact and answering important questions when prompted.

If I have to beat or pry answers out of you, you're getting blocked. Go find someone else to play 20 questions with. You're not worth my time or potential trouble.

• Thank you all, I appreciate your helP and responses.

• @Jessica_Rabbit "It's on my profile that I need X information. I started out just blatantly asking, and have tried gently hinting that I need relevant information."

You can try saying:
    "Hi, thanks for reaching out. Have you had a chance to read my profile? Once I get the exact details it asks for, then I'd be happy to move forward with our discussion about setting up a meeting."

Perhaps that'll help. Though generally if people ignore the details on the profile, I wouldn't waste energy reiterating it for them.

• edited August 2021

I would be direct and to the point:
    Tell them exactly what you need and if they don’t give it, say sorry, friend, but this conversation is over. And I’d block them after that. No one needs a client who can’t give them simple, relevant, required information. Either they are up to no good or they are too clueless to do business with.

If they are wasting time with endless questions, at a point I’d tell them listen, this is taking up a lot of time. When you’re interested in booking an appointment, let me know. And not answer them after that unless they are actually booking an appointment. If someone is playing games, who needs them? Besides, if they are just jerking someone around, they aren’t going to book so there’s nothing to lose by putting an end to the conversation.

I guess that leads me to a question for the pros (though this could happen to enthusiasts, too): Do guys who waste a lot of time like that end up booking and being a halfway decent client? Or do they inevitably end up just wasting time?

I have a low level of tolerance for such things (I have had to deal with similar situations in my own work life) and I’m fine with getting to the point with people who seem unable to do it themselves.

• [Deleted User]CharlesThePoet (deleted user)

Speaking from a professional artist and musician point of view, time wasters are never good clients.

Good clients feel almost organic and effortless.

• edited August 2021

@Babichev

I have quite a few really amazing repeat cuddlers that I put a lot of time into. I definitely understand that time is money so the idea of spending months chatting with someone before a pro-client relationship starts can be overwhelming or seen as a waste of time.

I’ve had quite a few that maybe just booked one little session or had a Skype session with me and that’s it. They spend all their time talking with me afterwards without booking me again. If I have time, I’ll always answer them but if I feel they are getting pissy or entitled to my free time, my generosity ends quickly.

But for some people that I’ve put a great deal of time in that others would deem time wasters, they ended up being a constant Skyper or repeat weekly cuddler. I find that some just can’t push themselves to get there or be comfortable enough to book so they want to feel a connection first. I don’t recommend every pro do this because it does take a lot of patience, but honestly, I have a lot of cuddlers come out of that and become regulars, making that time spent well worth it!

Truthfully, even if they never book, I’ve always loved talking anyways. So if I’m bored or have a lot of spare time, I love messaging back and forth talking about any and everything without feeling the need to push for bookings. Once again though, that’s not for everybody!!