So the bike 🚴🏼 technician just canceled on me

edited September 2021 in General

Don’t know if anyone here is into e-bikes … but after waiting a year & 3 months after soo many countless delays due to parts shortage & cargo shipping , i finally received my ebike yesterday … I’m not handy at all & I know it should be pretty simple to set up the bike up, but I decided to reach out online & found someone that knew all about this world & willing to do it for $125 … I thought this was perfect because stores charge $250 … he told me he would reach out today to confirm but after waiting & no message I decided to reach out & he said he had to cancel due to his schedule … this is completely understandable, kinda wished he had told me sooner as it seemed as if he was already decided, & I can always drop it off at a local bike shop but they want me to leave it there & come back the next day … what worries me is that the group in my waiting list all received upgraded bikes for waiting, & I fear that the authorized dealers with the stocked bikes will change certain parts - maybe I shouldn’t think this but I do … I can also try & go off the guide & set it up myself , but I’m concerned about safety … (the bike goes over 30mph & I don’t wanna mess something up & hit the road … should I A ) Try to find another technician , B ) drop it off at an authorized dealer & stop thinking they would change a part with an older one C ) break out the manual & go for it, even though I’ve never hammered a nail on the wall to hang a frame 🖼 D ) offer the original technican more money than he originally asked & be willing to wait when his schedule frees up?

1. What should I do 😔19 votes
    1. A ) find another technician
      21.05%
    2. B ) Drop it off at authorized bike shop pick up next day
      42.11%
    3. C ) break out manuals & build it
      36.84%
    4. D ) offer more money to the technician
        0.00%

Comments

• edited September 2021

I'd go with option B because it is the most anxiety free and fastest way to enjoy your e-bike. If anything should happen to the bike installation related, most reputable shops should stand by their work. If you have a little more time, I would try to find another freelance mechanic.

• Thank you @sunnysideup … just feeling like I’m gonna have to get over the fact that I feel they might switch something, also the positive of having a technician would be me helping with the process to learn as well, should I not find something quickly I’ll just go with option B

• edited September 2021

Why do you think an authorized technician is going to switch parts? Find a bike shop with a good reputation. I know so many bicycle mechanics in my town, also bike racers (I used to work with bike racers) and if someone started swapping out parts like that, word would get around and their name would be mud. Serious bicyclists are a tight knit community. Reputations mean a lot to the good bike shops.

As for the guy who offered to do it for half the price - they’ve already shown you they are unreliable. How do you know they know what they are doing? And won’t this invalidate your warranty?

• Check shop reviews and go with one that feels right to you.

Better yet, check with the manufacture for an approved shop near you. Then anything that goes wrong with it moving forward will more likely be covered (and a random tech may actually void your warrenty). Plus, an extra $125 to have that reassurance is a pretty good deal.

• @Babichev I just deleted an entire paragraph I wrote because no matter how I try to explain it it’s wrong no matter what, but I have a mistrust in mechanics through bad experience (not all were bad experiences I’ve even had mechanics for many years) also I would love if I didn’t have to drop it off but that isn’t an option, & I know they don’t want me there looking as they build the bike, & I completely understand this as I don’t want someone looking at me & breathing down my neck while I’m doing my job … so I’m conscious of the fact , but I don’t trust dropping it off & picking it up next day …

@quixotic_life you're both right … I’m gonna try once again to try & find another tech & if I don’t I’ll just go ahead & do plan b which is dropping it off …. As far as the warranty , as long as I don’t do no electrical changes or additions like adding turn signals / motor speed ect I’m good as they allow aesthetic modifications but not electrical or motor…

• Build it yourself. There is no guarantee any so-called expert technician will build it correctly. Every time you ride the bike you will have a sense of achievement that you built it yourself.

• edited September 2021

If I were close I’d do it and show you how to become a better handyman. Nothing more satisfying than putting something together yourself. I agree with UKGuy. I love building things.

• Thank you @UKGuy & @TheMidnightOwl … you guys really motivating me … In about 2 hours I gotta go pick up the bar end mirrors & I think I’m just gonna say f it & do it myself.

• @cuddles_ndream - do consider checking out a local bike shop. You don't have to leave the bike. Call ahead and let them know you have a new bike, want help getting it assembled, and then the next and most important part: adjusting the handlebars and seat height for YOU. They're the pro that can quickly adjust things to make sure you're riding comfortably and safely. They're not tuning up the bike or cleaning it, so the charge, IF there is one, should be minimal.

Good luck and happy riding! I've had mine since March and have less than 500 overall miles, but wow, it's increased the range I can ride by about 5-7 miles. 1 hour is normal, but 2 hours and my butt is hating me.

• Thank you @Sideon , my cousin told me the same as far as pricing, he got his bike several months ago & told me there’s no reason they should be charging $250 because there’s no tune up going on (although he did pay this initially not knowing) … as far as the seat I keep hearing that I’ll go through a 3-5 day period where my glutes is gonna transition from pure discomfort to finally getting used to it … the seat seems comfortable from the pics & videos I have seen but I’ve yet to try it … happy riding can’t wait.

• @cuddles_ndream What bike did you end up getting? Missed that somehow...

• @quixotic_life i got the Ariel Rider Grizzly, really wanted the Ariel Rider X-Class 52V because that’s wayyy more of my style & I love the aesthetic looks of it (don’t really like the look of the Grizzly lol), but decided to go with the one that will completely take care of my commute to & from work with the 2 batteries & motors …

• Way cool!! @cuddles_ndream ~ Be safe out there!!

• edited October 2021

So @TheMidnightOwl never put my bike together 😒 so I had to figure it out just now (with the help of my cousin) … he kinda did everything lol 😂 😂 (batteries now charging can’t wait for tomorrow 🚴🏼

• [Deleted User]CrouchingAUTigr (deleted user)

@cuddles_ndream Did you finally decide to just do it by yourself?

• @05vita21lov21 I didn’t, my cousin stopped by and asked me about the new t.v. sitting there, I was like no its a bike, & he asked, “let’s build it” 🙈

• As long as you participated in the build, even if just watching, you learned much more than by taking it to a shop.

Happy riding!

• Ty soo much @Cessna_guy i really appreciate that! midnight owl was right! & I feel very comfortable doing it myself next time.

• edited October 2021

I agree with @Cessna_guy ☝️
    1 time i forgot to my computer 👨‍💻🤦‍♂️ password,then I took it to the shop. They said $60 another $40 to unlock the passwords 😁 i was smiling. My friend ☝️ suggested to buy CD 💿📀 from Ebay $3 and open it for free.
    Another one i lost my keys 🔑them broke then broke the door handle🔓🚪 the black smith 👨‍🔧 told me $70 😳 i just fixed it myself 🔩🛠
    🖼🎨 i can do paintings i use special cilotape not to miss a up the wall.
    basic construction painting🎨plaming👨‍🏭carpentry 🚪🛠 very important also mechanic and computer .
    Plamer 👨‍🔧unblock the sing for $200 i can unblock myself
    Always work out the problem before you take it to the shop. It's easy just use 🧠 .
    So many shops especially phone shops they fool us because of lack of knowledge we have . In YouTube you can learn everything @UKGuy is right

• edited October 2021

☝️ i have good idea book a package to America for 2 days I will try to fix it for you 😁 . i don't need nothing except book me 2 sessions with beautiful pros 😍 .

• @Ahmedali999 you just destroyed me in your response 😅 (yes everything 💯 % true 😌)

Ty @TheMidnightOwl 🌌