Do you believe in karma / astrology signs / purpose 🌌

What’s your sign / does it fit your personality?

Comments

• Interesting that the star of David is at the center of your picture. In the book of Numbers or Bemidbar chapter 2, the tribes of Israel were arranged in a circle and given their banner or their standard. 12 months, 12 tribes, 12 signs. 12 astrological signs. No coincidence in my opinion. The claim of Genesis 1 is that the stars were given for signs. Do I attribute my own personality traits to the stars? No. But do I believe they were put there to tell us something? Yes.

• @cookiecrumb really good observation

• quantum mechanics tells us that things only have meaning in context to other things. star alignment at birth is just contextual information about the Universe at the time of our birth, so why can't that information affect who we are?

• A year ago I would have completely dismissed anything to do with astrology as utter nonsense. Today, I am not so sure. I have recently seen evidence of things that I used to not believe in so I am more open minded than I used to be on things like this.

• I'm not sure that I have things in common with people just because we were born within the same 30 day window. I think reading personality, path, desires is a nature/nurture split, and the "device" used is arbitrary. It's a tool, a frame with which to tie what you're reading to, as you would weave a fabric using a frame. The frame isn't important after all. You could similarly use tea leaves, smoke, lines on your palm.

• [Deleted User]Kelly149 (deleted user)

No.

• @Kelly149 interesting perspective.

• No. No astrology. No karma. No tribes. No months. I believe in astrophysics and chaos theory. Man looks at everything to find a perceived pattern to explain things the way they want them to be explained—this is also at the heart of modern misinformation dissemination. You look for a pattern and weave your own narrative to suit your own purposes. JMO.

The star that really matters is the sun as we could still keep the time and seasons with a sun dial. The north star is just a point in the sky for direction. A few other stars can be used for navigation. But imbuing them with meaning? Giving cosmic meaning to stars are just stories with no more viability as stories than any other story. Anyone can assign any meaning they want to them but it is only one’s perception.

• No.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson explains why your astrological sign is probably wrong:

Tyson, Carl Sagan, and others discuss the fallacies of astrology:

• edited November 2021

@FunCartel don’t forget the energy & warmth as well from the sun.

Edit: and vitamin d

• edited November 2021

@FunCartel the universe has rules. There is some randomness to who we are, and any good programmer or mathematician knows there is no such as a truly random number. Maybe the state of the universe is part of the input to the function that defines who we are. People born in similar conditions have partially similar inputs.

• @MCcuddles2 Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and it does not reject that there is an order to things but that there are degrees of randomness that destabilize order. This idea permeates several disciplines in academia as a point of theory and research—philosophy, literary theory, nuclear physics, etc. The irony of chaos theory is you can “prove” randomness as a general rule. But to say a “good mathematician” is ignoring the fact that there are “great mathematicians” at MIT, CalPoly and other institutions currently doing some groundbreaking work in chaos theory. I have a very close relative who just finished a graduate course last spring in Comp Sci about “Applied Chaos” which attempts to utilize anomalies in computer languages which can lead to a computer DNA. He lost me there but I got the gist.

• There is zero evidence to support astrology. Zero.

• @Babichev You are wrong. Read the National Enquirer and get your facts straight. đŸ˜‰đŸ€Ł

• Evidence is never necessary or required for something to be real, to prove & support it - Yes, for it to be real - no , Zero evidence required. Zero.

• Mine 💯 fits. I like astrology because the deeper you get into it, the more you realize how complex of a person you are, and why you may have conflict within yourself or with others. I'm a Virgo sun, but my rising/ascendent is a Leo-so people think I'm a lot more wilder than I actually am. I look like I like to party, but I really just want a low key evening and someone to cuddle and craft with đŸ§¶

• @jaycuddle that’s really cool!! & lol @ “I look like I like to party, but I really just want a low key evening & someone to cuddle & craft with” , that’s awesome 😎

• My zodiac actually is pretty accurate for me, hope it doesn't make me a predictable person lol.

• I don’t really know much about astrology, and I don’t even know my “rising” sign or ever looked into anything like that to go deeper, the most I know is that I’m a cancer, and based off what I have read about them, it basically is summed up to be caring, nurturing, empathetic, and beyond emotional is the biggest of them all. And I have to say I can’t disagree with any of those descriptions.
    But life is what you make it. I’ve met several people who seem to be different than their description of whatever their sign is, but maybe they don’t show the parts of them that are described to me personally. So maybe I just don’t see it always. Or maybe it’s a huge placebo affect where your mind relates to whatever it wants to relate to. Who knows, this world is a giant floating rock surrounded by nature that seems magical. I don’t think anyone truly has the answers to how the world works no matter how much they claim to “know” .

• @Brandi I love your answer! I feel I don’t fit the description of my sign / don’t know what my rising sign is either & just overall never believed in astrology (even to this day). “This world 🌎 is a giant floating rock surrounded by nature that seems magical” - I truly love this quote & I know I will use it in the future 🌌. there is this perfect ecosystem here on earth, we are just in the perfect distance away from a star / and just the right amount (& specific) elements in the periodic table for life to thrive / I find the universe fascinating & all its wonders & everything beyond , I remember a very well known actor being interviewed & being asked wether he believed in certain things 
 he said no to all the questions, but in the same sentence he said that even though he answered no, he chooses to do good. This was very uplifting & made me wonder & think about purpose.

• edited November 2021

One of many interesting social experiments: Someone had an astrologer draw up a chart for a certain person, then give a description of that person. The investigator then gave this description to several different people with various birth dates, told them it was their astrological description. Every one of them agreed it fit them. The chart turned out to be that of some famous serial killer like Jack the Ripper.

There have been lots of studies, both formal and informal, on this. For instance, random horoscopes taken out of the newspaper and given to people who are told it is their personal horoscope when, in fact, it is not. Yet people will insist it is accurate.

Here’s a description of what is called The Barnum Effect which describes this phenomenon in more detail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

My former roommate is a scientist by day and a magician by night. One of the things he used to do was give cold readings. They use the same kind of techniques.

What’s the harm? Well, when people are gullible they are easily exploited by those who would take advantage of their ignorance.

Besides, which system of astrology are we using? And the one most commonly referred to in the west is not even accurate, it’s based on the positions of certain constellations that were in the sky 2,000 years ago. Our relationship to those constellations has shifted so that if you are told you’re a Cancer, that was the position of that constellation 2,000 years ago on your birth date, not the actual constellation that was in the sky when you were actually born. Modern astrological charts are based on outdated information.

But belief is not swayed by facts. That is what allows pseudoscience to survive and often thrive.

Personally, I think nature tells the best stories. Actual science is cool enough for me.

• edited November 2021

For once, I completely agree with two people here that I usually don’t. The stars have aligned. lol

According to western modern charts, I’m a Leo which is as opposite from me as can be. But I’m on the cusp with Cancer and was born like two weeks late, and that one seems a bit more accurate, but as @Babichev highlighted, the descriptions of daily readings and charts and all that are intentionally vague and could apply to just about any average person within a shared culture if they stretch far enough. I’m more like a primarily Capricorn/Cancer/Virgo mashup. But so are a lot of people born all throughout the year. I consider it junk science. Apologies to any diehard subscribers.

• Woahh @Babichev thats really fascinating!! Thank you for sharing 😌 definitely makes me further think that it is just a placebo type situation where we believe what we want to believe and if we think it’s something that will help us, it will. & if we think it will harm us in any ways, same thing. The mind is such a powerful thing.
    I’ve always been fascinated with oracle cards and they have truly helped me so much and push me towards a lot of self help techniques like meditation, healthier diets and self growth in a lot of ways. But just like horoscopes, I think it’s all in my head, and even if i “asked the oracle something” completely different than my best friend who is asking something, and we received the same exact card, that we could apply it to our situations in different ways to fit our story.
    if it helps, that’s wonderful, but On the negative side, I have also seen someone count on and read so much into oracle readings and horoscopes to such an intense extent that I could see it actually causing more harm than good, like anxiety about the future, or thinking they were doomed to be unhappy forever, and that’s never a good mindset to be in :/

• edited November 2021

I’m just throwing my viewpoint in here. No one has to agree or disagree. Kindly do not tag me in any response as I do not wish to engage further or have a back and forth.

Astrology talked about in the forum is western astrology. Fixed date window and fixed signs. Of course it’ll be off as it’ll divide the population in 12 categories or whatever it’s basis. Plus relying on a newspaper tabloid to get a sense of who you are?!

I’d suggest looking into Vedic astrology if curious or not. The ascendants change every couple hours. Planetary degree positions in a house change (subtle) even for twins born minutes apart. And that gives a different reading, characteristic and a trajectory to that person.

And also this branch has different and more robust calculations, sub charts specific to areas of life, time periods to denote ebbs and flows.It’s deeper and yes it also needs a well versed-studied astrologer to decipher the charts. Some are accommodating newer planetary bodies while some astrologers use the old planetary system. Whatever gets the person the degree of result they seek. And the results won’t be absolute as it’s a predictive science but predictability is only bettered by analyzing past trends and applying corrections. Not to mention the human desire/will does affect an outcome. You can’t be an athlete if you never hit the gym. But if it’s meant to be in your chart you could be a keyboard ninja warrior winning gaming championships.

I personally have looked at birth charts of a few members from this site and friends in whose case certain events/happenings in their life were predictive. Here are a few.

• Female #1: I could tell she’d have marital issues involving assault.
    • Female #2: her chart conveyed her preference towards women in romantic relationships and she’d be backstabbed/wouldn’t further in business partnerships if it was with a male. Her chart showed her career path in music/performing arts. She is a Professional string instrument artist.
    • Female #3: I follow her on IG. After looking at her chart I immediately said she was born on an eclipse (no I did not google the date) and would’ve had rough upbringing including parents divorcing, fights or involved in severe negligence. She had run away as a child.
    • As it so happened i was watching a documentary about the female British terrorist called “white widow”. Her birth certificate thereby the details (date, time, place) were shown in that documentary. On charting it I observed that she was born on an eclipse day which only covered parts of Northern Africa. The same region where she’d later in life align her terrorist allegiances to.

Sorry it turned out to be longer than expected. I’m not even an expert and yes these basic readings done by me are after the fact. But a good astrologer could see it in advance with the knowledge of critical birth details. On a totally side note (political), Trumps defeat and Biden’s victory was predicted too by this system. Another prediction just based on Tom Brady’s chart is Tampa Bay making deeper run in playoffs and possibly winning upcoming super bowl and him hanging boots around Mar/Apr 2022. Would be interesting to see if it does pan out.

Again, no one has to agree or disagree. Kindly do not tag me in any response as I do not wish to engage further or have a back and forth.

• 😟oh man , my horoscope today says real soon something really bad is gonna happ

• edited November 2021

• Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Everything in this cosmic universe has a purpose. While maybe astronomy signs might not play a dominant role I do feel as though they do play a role in a generic form of personality traits.

• edited November 2021

• edited November 2021

Yes. I have grown into a deeper understanding of astrology over the course of my life and it has become the perfect overlay to what I know about personality types. I can tell every time whether a person is earth, wind, fire or water by my thirty year study of The Color Code (Which is also based on the elements. Blue [Earth or intimacy], Red [Fire or power] Yellow [Air or fun] and White [Water or peace]). Whenever I get an impression of a person, their word choices, body language and behavior align with their charts. I'm not even a pro and I can hone in on a person's element configuration and it always coincides with their chart.