Pros - Tell us about your experience with workshops and any other pro cuddler training you’ve had

edited November 2021 in Professional Cuddling

In another thread about what makes a pro a pro, the subject of training came up. Although it is occasionally mentioned that there is training and/or workshops available, exactly what the training covers is almost never discussed. It would benefit pros, clients, and enthusiasts to know more about what training is available, what material is covered, how such training is conducted, and how it impacts one’s practice. So pros, tell us about your experience, how it affected your practice, and what kinds of trainings you’d like to see offered in the future. Also, are there professional organizations?

Comments

• Great thread @babichev 👍

I've not attended cuddle training but thought it might be useful to others to mention various types of training and certifications for other roles that I have also found to be incredibly valuable and relevant to my cuddling practice (but if you consider this pulling the thread off topic I'll be happy to remove). These include:

Counselling
    Safeguarding
    First aid
    De-escalating violent situations
    Supporting vulnerable adults
    Working with disclosures (child sexual abuse)
    Complaints/customer service
    Self defence
    Psychology

All of these have either helped me already directly in my cuddling practice and/or have given me confidence in my ability to handle situations that haven't yet come up. As such I feel more comfortable cuddling and having people put their trust in me while feeling vulnerable.

Look forward to hearing about others' experiences!

• Doesn’t someone require testing and licensing to sell paid for counseling ? I always thought pro cuddlers were listeners not counselors.

• @cuddlerforu24 I certainly don't offer counselling sessions, but I have counselling certifications that I completed when working in family support and on helplines. I'm in no way suggesting that any cuddler should be expected to be a counsellor or therapist, just outlining some of the "non-cuddler" training that I have also found beneficial to cuddling.

• @cuddlerforu24 - I’m not sure exactly what the laws are since people do various types of “counseling” that are not licensed. I’m thinking of “life coaches” and similar. But yes, I think most states require some sort of credentials to do actual counseling. However, even if someone is not licensed as a counselor, having a background in some form of psychology can be useful to anyone in a profession where you’re closely involved with people, especially vulnerable populations. For instance, my day job is that I’m a massage therapist. I’m not a counselor but I’ve had some education in some aspects of psychology that help in my interactions with clients. One area in particular that has been helpful is my understanding of obsessive-compulsive disorder. People with OCD can be a real challenge to work with. I would never diagnose a client with OCD but because I recognize the signs, it helps me to navigate the situation when I encounter someone whit certain behavior patterns. It also helps me recognize when a client may be at risk and try to find a compassionate way to urge them to get help. In some ways, it’s no different than being informed of physical problems that may need a doctor’s attention. I’m not practicing medicine, not diagnosing, but I’m in a position to recognize worrisome symptoms that should be checked out.

@GracieGirl - that’s quite a background and yes, all of those are potentially useful for anyone practicing as a pro cuddler.

• edited November 2021

I miss the pre-covid days... 😔

My favorite was CuddlExpo In Chicago, but it just happened once (though there was an equivalent virtual one earlier this year, which was also great). I also did cuddle sanctuary training in long beach which was overall useful and a great experience. I have done the online Cuddlist training, which was helpful, but virtual courses only help so much, in my opinion.

In addition, I took a mental health first aid course and an applied suicide intervention skills training (ASIST) course, both were (I believe) essential for all human beings to take.

Currently reading The Body Keeps the Score. Highly recommend.