$25 Budget to Make Lunch

edited December 2021 in General

Say you've a $25 budget to make lunch for you and a friend. Takeout is an option you can purchase for $5. What would you make/order?

PS. We can assume that you've condiments and spices at home.

How hungry? I don't know. Hungry like you both had a good, satiating breakfast. So you could skip lunch with ease if you had to. Lol.

Comments

• How hungry are we? I have a great recipe I saved from HelloFresh that I like to make as a short snack-and-chat option.

https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/charred-tomato-herby-ricotta-toasts-61a8e570b9bcf94ce77bfe3a

• Not my own recipe, but I am plant based now and I made this one recently from the Forks meal planner. Pretty tasty and filling.

• edited December 2021

Assuming pounds for dollars, and modest portions .....

Scallops and black pudding

Roast partridge with juniper and parsley
    Bread sauce, game chips, carrots and parsnips roasted in a little garlic, braised cabbage, and redcurrant jelly

Rose posset with a ginger tuile

If the budget was $25 each I'd add a bottle of nice Saint Emilion.

• I would pull the lazy route and take us both to Wawa. A fast food/gas station here in Florida. I actually really like the food, they make amazing frozen cappuccinos and smoothies and they have a hoagie and soup deal for $5 🤩 so you can get a nice toasted, packed to the brim hoagie and a delicious soup with an incredibly tasty salted caramel iced cappuccino for around 8 or 9 dollars.

• Pizza is also a great way to feed multiple on a budget. And you don't have to even do standard stuff - for well under $25 you can make this gourmet style pizza and have change to spare for drinks, etc. You can simplify the process using a premade crust and still be well under budget. https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/caramelized-onion-fig-goat-cheese-pizza-arugula-video

• I would make this any day of the week.

And it's even better as leftovers because the sauce soaks into the rigatoni.

https://www.centercutcook.com/spicy-chicken-rigatoni-like-buca-di-beppo/

• Cooking at home, pizza maybe. I don't eat out really. Pizza is a nice cook together thing I find.

• edited December 2021

Those look* quite good y'all. :)

Omnivore lunch:

Sesame seeds, Smoked steelhead salmon, basma frozen okra, whole wheat tortillas, 2 lemons, mint, organic kale, 3 crown peppermint tea, mango, garlic, 2 kiwis, canned chick peas. Total: $24.20 with tax.

Lunch: Tortillas, salmon, kale, mint, okra, with hummus.

Drink: Peppermint tea.

Side: Spicy mango and kiwi.

Or vegetarian lunch:

Sesame seeds, okra, whole wheat tortillas, 2 lemons, mint, mango, garlic, 3 crown peppermint tea, cremini mushrooms, fresh chick peas, 2 kiwis. Total: $23.50 with tax.

Lunch: Tortillas, spicy cremini mushrooms, mint, okra with hummus.

Drink: Peppermint tea.

Side: Spicy mango and kiwi.

• Salmon cooked over coals with a balsamic vinegar reduction over it, steamed broccoli with a little melted butter and parmigiana over it, and some pan fried potatoes on the side. Maybe a small green salad. That would be easy to pull off within that budget. It’s too cold to cook outside, though, so I’d have to cook the salmon on the stove.

• I would make beef bourguignon. I already have red wine.

• [Deleted User]atmosphere114 (deleted user)

35 bags of Sour Skittles and spend the afternoon jumping up and down together!

• [Deleted User]creedhands (deleted user)

4 large orders of Cajun fries from Five Guys Burgers. And a large soda to share. If you eat in, all the peanuts you can eat for free to top off. Followed closely by a cuddle-food coma.

• @Babichev "Salmon cooked over coals..." that sounds delish!