Seeing the ☀️ and the 🌙 at the same time

Today is the 2nd day in a row I’m able to see the moon & the sun clearly at the same time, I never thought this was possible? I decided to take pics today… what does this means?

Comments

• I believe it has something to do with the orbital geometry of the moon, Depending on its phase and where it is in the sky relative to the Sun, the Sun illuminates it more or less. I think it's that the further away from the Sun the moon is, the more of it you can see. If it's closer to the Sun, it gets lost in the Sun's brightness and we can only see a little of it, if at all.

• I live in Tennessee and the moon is almost always visible during the day, maybe it has something to do with your location.

• edited December 2021

@cuddles_ndream great photos !

Please be careful looking at the sun ... our Retinae are too delicate.  

Several Cultures use the Lunar Calendar to guide their Religious festivities.  Because of Earth's rotation and the "visual difference" between the Sun's travel and the Moon's travel across the visible sky, the Moon is visible in the night sky for about 1/2 the month and in the daytime sky for about 1/2 the month.  Most times, though, the Moon is not easily visible in the daytime because of the glare to our eyes, from the sunlight.  But the Moon IS there in the daytime sky for 13.5 days ( the visible lunar cycle is just past 27 days per month ).  Great points @WriterGF .

The question is ... will cuddle therapy work on the Moon with all that weighlessness ?   :-) :-)   

• Thanks @WriterGF , I’m reading soo many conflicting info online, although it is really cool especially experiencing it twice in a row.

• @Travismo that’s cool to know, I don’t know if I never payed attention before but that’s awesome!

@RespectFun thanks for that info!

• edited December 2021

The Moon is very frequently visible during the day. It doesn't mean anything. It's just the way the orbits work. Much of the time is is very easy to see, from anywhere on Earth.

The idea that the Moon 'comes out' at night is a total fabrication. It's just that the Moon is slightly more obvious at night than it is during the day.

The New Moon appears - or rather, doesn't appear since you can't see it - when the Moon is roughly between the Sun and the Earth. The Full Moon is when the Earth is roughly between the Sun and the Moon. (If a person is standing between you and a very bright light, it's hard to see who it is. However, if the bright light is roughly behind you, and they are roughly in front of you, it's very easy to see who it is.)

You may wish to reflect on why you didn't notice an object that was clearly visible in the sky on perhaps 1/3 of the clear days when you went outside.

Cuddle therapy will work fine on the Moon, since there is no weightlessness: gravity is about 1/6 that on the Earth.

Never look directly at the Sun. Ever.

• I love the sun and the moon. There is also a planetary alignment now (peaked a couple days ago). And cuddling is pretty amazing too.

• I have seen the Sun and the moon together 25 years ago and I still remember , when I'm walking i was really wondering 🤔 why they following me

• @Ahmedali999 you may wish to reflect on why you didn’t notice an object that was clearly visible in the sky on perhaps 1/3 of the clear days when you went outside, in the past 25 years lol (sarcasm) 🤪

• I’ve often seen the moon in the sky during the day. It depends on the phase of the moon.

• @cuddles_ndream 🤣🤣 I'm blind sometimes i don't even know what's today or tomorrow, too much distraction in life, I'm just waiting for next session 😈

• @Ahmedali999 😅 better than me, I’m just still reflecting on “why” 😂🤣

• edited December 2021

@cuddles_ndream 🤣🤣🤣 u know when i was young i used to wonder , why the sun☀️ and the moon 🌚 follow me wherever i go ? The answer we are just atoms in this big universe.

• edited December 2021

@cuddles_ndream wonderful even the sun ☀️ is atom in the universe,

• That is what’s called the moon in the seventh house . Which means your on the dawn of the age of Aquarius

• @cuddlerforu24 looking it up now thanks

• edited December 2021

@cuddles_ndream what a fun topic! I love the planets and moons and stars and stuff. It was super fun to take an astronomy class AS AN ADULT!! I learned so many things for the second time. When I was in HS I just remembered the things I wanted to. What a fun video share. It is truly incredible when you think about the -------universe------- even what we KNOW let alone what we don't know!! I used to always think the moon comes up and the sun goes down. Even Steven! There is so much beauty that surrounds us in the way everything works together..... thank you for the thread. 😊

Wait a minute..... @sr182 are those trees in MY BEAUTIFUL ROCKY MOUNTAINS???????? Gorgeous pic. so so so beautiful.

Maybe this will be a thread with Sun and Moon pictures!!! YAY!!!!

• edited December 2021

@sillysassy Ty 💙! growing up in the city you barely get to enjoy the night sky 🌃 … you never think of its wonder because its not really there (at most you’ll see the moon & maybe some scattered stars, but nothing to grasp your attention. I started going to several camping trips in junior high, the first being in Alpine New Jersey, & I was like Wow … it felt like the universe (all of it) was right infront of me 🌌 the moon felt like it was literally just a few miles away & you could see the entire sky & all its wonders …

I started loving going camping trips 🏕 because I knew they were always going to be high up in the mountains , regardless if it was in jersey or upstate Ny. I also remember having a school trip where they went to take us to the museum of natural history where they have a planetary show , & I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it, or like it would be nothing to me because I’ve been experiencing the real wonders in the sky, but nope I was wrong, even the planetary show was amazing, it was a circular room where everyone takes a seat, leans back, & the entire ceiling is this carefully crafted planetary 🪐 stars ✨ & galaxy shows that takes you through its journey all first hand (I recommend everyone to see it Atleast once .

I love it! I love the night sky 🌌 (I haven’t experienced it in a long time) / I haven’t been to the planetarium show in several years now … I want this escape & look forward to making one or both of them happen before years end … I love that you you love the planets 🪐 moon 🌙 and stars ✨ , I hope that where you live you’re able to enjoy all 3 by just taking a look at the night sky 🌌 …. That’s an amazing picture, ty!, If you ever visit nyc, just tell me you’re here & that you want to go to the planetary show , I would 100% take you! ☺️

• @sillysassy yes these are your Rocky Mountains and trees and snow and lovely Luna too. Could I request a cuddle session with you? I guess this is not the cuddle request forum, so I will share another moon picture as penance for my error.

Oh, I guess that picture did not have the sun and moon, but the stars and all look pretty amazing.

• @sr182 that’s a reallyyyyy nice picture 📸 & yes! @sillysassy stock went up after her admiration for the universe 🌌 lol

• Fun thread!

Reminds me when I finally found out the moon doesn't actually change shape...blew my mind.

Also don't forget about eclipses!

• I do REALLY appreciate the way you can go outside of the city and see such amazing things. I lived in farm country for quite a few years and being able to see the moon and stars at night because there isn't as much light from the city was an extraordinary experience. (Whether there are cuddles and night stargazing or not!!)

It is so funny how we look at something every day of our lives.... We might even go to the IMAX or a NY planetary show and then one day.... It just sort of sinks in.... How vast our world is and how much we think we know but we really have no clue. You don't know you don't know it!!

Goodness me.... That's right!! Winter Solstice is today!! Thank you @OhioMike for reminding us of our 2 extra seconds of daylight tomorrow!!! It makes me feel happier already!!