How to/where make platonic friends these days(single parent)

[Deleted User]DMO888 (deleted user)

First off I would love to say I am very grateful for this site, it has given me the opportunity to meet/chat with so many great people. I enjoy getting to have a session and the intimacy of the physical connecting and just as much getting to have really great conversations as well. I have been a single parent for a few years now and I have always struggled to make friends especially ones with other children for my daughter to play with. I’m always open to suggestions of people where and how just to make friends, I know it’s kind of a vague question. I feel like of all the social media or any other sites the people I have met off this platform are the most amazing and special. It is just tough because this is not necessarily a site for making friends and I respect the boundaries of the site. When I have sessions I have such a great time and a great connection with that person and the thing that gets tough too sometimes is it can become expensive.

I hope everyone has a great holiday.

Comments

• When I was younger, I used to take my daughter to the park and sometimes I could strike up a conversation with another parent there. Beyond that, I have struggled with this too. Most of my current friends are the people I was friends with 35+ years ago in high school.

• edited December 2021

Other single parents can probably answer this better than I can. However, here are a few standard suggestions.

Some dating apps have 'friendship' sections or options
    Seek out volunteering opportunities
    Participate in your local area forum or facebook group
    Take adult education classes of some kind
    Join local clubs, societies or activities
    Find excuses to get to know your neighbours
    Take full advantage of any opportunities offered by your work place
    Find a suitable bar or cafe and become a reliable regular
    Acquire a dog

If the thing you want doesn't exist, start it.

Remember, you are not necessarily trying to make friends with the people you meet at all those places, although obviously that would be great. You are trying to tap into their social networks.

• @DMO888 I moved to this area and met my ex on the very day I arrived - so, I had "friends-in-law" that naturally drifted away after the divorce. There are a few families that still kept in touch - with kids around my daughter's age (10), which is awesome, and we meet every now and then. But, besides them, nobody will propose a playdate in my place - e.g. parents of her classmates; I kind of get it but on still feel a little offended and frustrated for my kid.
    Personally, being an introvert, it's a struggle to make friends at this time and age (and 'my' age too, for some reason :# ). @CuddleDuncan suggested some great options and, I guess, in the end of the day we have to be pro-active and try to do our best.
    Happy Sunday!

• Ideally, you want to spend some time time at a Man Park. That’s what I do on occasion:

• I've met a few people off Bumble BFF and Meetup

• "Some dating apps have 'friendship' sections or options"

Yes, just brace yourself for possible hostility from people here and there who don't perhaps know that. Where someone gets mad at you cause they think it's just for dating. :P

Or agrees to try becoming friends in hopes of soon after trying to take it elsewhere. I experienced this with men, though could happen with women too.

• [Deleted User]Cletus (deleted user)

As a "man parent" of recently young children, I would spend a lot of time with them at parks, the public swimming pool, the zoo and children's museum- we had membership to them all. Of course I live in a great city that has EXCELLENT zoo, kids museum, etc. and there were book stores and events for kids that I would find. I was fortunate that I was the "stay at home GI Joe" so I got to do a lot of activities while they were younger (ages 4 until they were about 11 ) and I met a lot of other parents and kids with similar likes. Plus meeting in these types of situations you can gauge if your kids get along or not. I met some great people this way and the kids had the opportunity to build friendships. Oh and as NicoSnuggs posted: the man park :) It was surprising how many guys I met at the park with their kids.

• edited December 2021

Some resources:

I've not tried these apps, though these are* one of the apps I found for arranging playmates:

Maybe you could also find single father groups, virtually for now to get to know others.

• Awesome post! Following 👀

I heard about the app called meet up from a cuddle buddy who has had a lot of success meeting people and making friends.
    Personally, I’ve made friends when I’ve taken classes or joined gyms.

• [Deleted User]Saysoh (deleted user)

Nature_lover_ is right. The meet up app is solid. I used to use it when ?I was mountain biking. Made friends I still hang out with.

• @Lovelight - I've experienced the same. Though there are some people on those apps who do actually respect that people are just looking for friends (thankfully).

@DMO888 - I suggest if you do try this option (the dating sites that have friendship options) that you add in your bio on that site that you are, in fact, seeking friends and not a relationship.