One Web Site. Two Versions

edited January 2022 in General

I access CuddleComfort from my desktop computer and also from my laptop. In both cases, I use exactly the same Web address, and the same version of the same browser. I would expect to see the same thing on both computers, but I don't. All other web sites that I access look the same on both computers

On my desktop, there is a blue banner at the top of the page, that contains eight icons, each with a label: "Home," "Cuddlers," "Messages," "Visitors," "Favorites," "Friends," "Forum," "and "FAQ."

On my laptop, I still get the blue banner, but without either the icons or the corresponding labels. I finally noticed that the icons all appear at the bottom of the page, but without the labels. If I place the cursor over one of the icons, a label will appear.

Do others experience this? Is this normal? Is it intentional?

Comments

• @GreatHornedOwl Based on a past foray into web design, I would guess that the server is checking to see what environment is displaying the page. The information sent by your computer can include operating system and version, browser software and version, screen resolution, and other information. Some things happen automatically as a result of this information, and other things happen by a designer's intention.

Because of the number of variables at play, it would be difficult to say which is causing the difference you are seeing, unless the site designer wants to hop in and tell us whether it was done on purpose or not.

• @GreatHornedOwl, your description sounds like the mobile version on your laptop. Do you have a smaller-than-average laptop screen?

• edited January 2022

@BellaSera - No. The laptop has a 15.6" screen, which is large for a laptop. My previous laptop had a 14" screen, and didn''t do this.

• The operating system or the browser on the two computers probably has different settings. Even if you have the same operating system and browser versions, the settings can be different and affect how web pages are displayed.

• Most websites have a desktop and a mobile version. I’m not a web developer but the reason is so that the sites are viewable in either format. Typically, the desktop version will have a few more features and functionality.