4 FREE at-home COVID-19 test kits in the mail

edited January 2022 in General

Hello fellow cuddlers! For those in need of Covid-19 test kits, they are giving away 4 FREE at-home COVID-19 test kits in the mail. I just ordered mine. It's always good to have them handy when needed. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Comments

• My coworker already ordered some today. This is great to have for people who don't want to leave there home

• @CaringSoul Yep! Got my text about it today and order is placed. Only issue I had was that I put in my office address and the site recognized it as a workplace and said they can only send to private residence. I live out in country and snow plows clobbered my mailbox over weekend into a cornfield. I will look for my mailbox tomorrow lol! But other than that, pretty cool!

• @OhioMike - you know what no mailbox means...

NO BILLS!!! YAYYYY. 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though - that really does suck. I'm sorry. 😕

• edited January 2022

@Green_Eyes out here you get use to it. Happens every year. No biggie. Our dept of transportation , ODOT, is actually pretty good about replacing it for free if its destroyed.

• @OhioMike - Glad they will replace it for free!

• I will be looking for those test kits … either mailbox or cornfield 😂

• @OhioMike - 🤣🤣🤣 I'll help!!!

• We've had this in the UK for nine months. You can have them sent to you, or walk into any pharmacy and collect a box. It's been an expensive project and the statisticians haven't yet worked out it if it was worth it, but it's been jolly handy. They are a routine part of life here, and many events and gatherings (e.g. cuddle workshops) require a negative test.

• People still found a way to complain about this.. "...but my tax dollars are paying for this!". Most social media sites, especially Facebook, are toxic.

• @Mike403 Hah ... tell'em more tax dollars would be used on medical care if someone who didn't have a test available went out and infected more people!

• @Love2Cuddle757 - In the U.S., we pay for our own medical care.

• Thanks for posting this information @CaringSoul.

I have ordered my test kits.

Everyone should be aware that not all test kits can detect the Omicron variant. Currently, I have read that the Abbott BinaxNOW and Quidel Quickvue both detect Omicron as well as prior variants. Data has shown that even these tests take three days longer to detect Omicron than a PCR test, so keep that in mind.

The tests we receive by mail as part of the free program may not be these tests and may not detect Omicron.

However, as of January 15, 2022 a US federal mandate requires that all private health insurance companies cover the cost of eight FDA approved at home Covid tests per individual subscriber per month. Contact your health insurance company for a reimbursement form. I have already purchased two BinaxNOW tests online and submitted my form.

• Ha, a little late no? A ton of people already got Omicron. This is a waste of money and resources, not to mention all the hazardous waste that'll pile up. Is it really safe just to throw it in the trash? These tests aren't even that reliable. You need a PCR test to really confirm. A good portion won't swab correctly, premiums will probably go up to cover the cost, and people are going to develop a phobia of testing every time they get a little sniffle.

• Nice! Anyone know if there's something like that going on in Canada. :)

• @MrPaul You're welcome. It's for anyone interested in getting their at-home COVID-19 test kits in the mail & it's free. Sometimes it's not that easy to get a PCR test in time, like last month during the holidays, one of my friends in the neighborhood tried to schedule his PCR test at the testing locations, but nothing available for 3 weeks. So he had to get this at-home COVID-19 test kit instead.

• It's simple to get a test, vaccine, whatever you need here because this state is filled with ignorant people who still thinks COVID-19 is a made up hoax.

• @Libra0 the tests we have here are sufficiently reliable that PCR testing has been scaled back considerably, and may be stopped altogether. The instructions are simple and clear and there is no substantial problem of incorrect use. There is no hazardous waste. Everybody does these things all the time, they just work. Anecdotally, omicron seems to have a higher rate of re-infection so the protection you get from having had it appears to less. There is no evidence whatsover that anything is "a little late" since we might not even be halfway through this pandemic. However, as already mentioned the US is very late to this particular party, as we've been doing this for nearly a year.

Our tests are of the lateral flow type, which is a very standard type of test. They include a check that the test has worked, and give a result in half an hour or less.

• @Mike403 we don't just pay for it....we get absolutely *&^&%$ while doing so. Insane costs

• @CaringSoul ~ Yay!! Thank you!!