Winter is tough for our unhoused neighbors

edited January 2022 in General

So, if you are in the northern hemisphere it is currently the brunt of winter.

Winter is especially tough for our neighbors who are temporary experiencing houselessness.

I've found that that thinking of them as neighbors who are temporarily experiencing houselessness humanizes them and forces people to empathize.

All that said, one of the most requested and least available item by these neighbors are socks and underwear. Warm socks become especially essential in the winter.

If you want to help, donate socks and under garments.

I typically buy socks in bulk from Amazon, and donate by either going to visit the unhoused people in person or adding the socks to care packages made by local outreach programs.

Going in person and witnessing all the human suffering is often a heart wrenching and humbling experience.

This is the current box.

One challenge I've realized though is that giving out the same colored clothing creates a problem, because houseless people can't just lock away their belongings, so it can potentially create conflict. They feel safer having identifiable clothing. So I will have to figure out a way to create bulk variety.

Comments

• Thank you for posting this. It's an issue that's close to my heart, and I work with an organization that provides support for people experiencing homelessness. I can vouch for the need for socks and underwear.

If anyone wants to help, but doesn't have many homeless people in their local community, Bombas is a company that donates one pair of socks for every pair of socks that they sell. They partner with organizations that distribute then where they are needed.

• @MCcuddles2 - Great idea!

There was a drive here in my area for jackets for the homeless, which I am in support of; Stuff like this is helpful.

• @JoyfulHeart I was going to mention bombas!! They’re great, comfortable, cotton socks to boot! I love the cause!

• This is really nice & great of you !! I’m really feeling it for stray animals outside … before it got this cold I started feeding 2 feral / stray cats I discovered on my way home … its gotten to the point where they either wait for me, or when I call out for them they come out running to get fed … 3 days ago the weather dropped to 14 degrees, I was off from work & did not want to go outside because it was just too cold, i thought about them & decided to say screw it & went over to the spot incase they were waiting for me & there they were … February hasn’t even hit yet, which is when it really gets brutal, & I know what I’ll have to face, but I feel guilty not wanting to do it during those extremes just to stay warm because I’ve already gotten them used to wet food they love so much at around 12:30am everyday. I know tonight They’ll be waiting for me 🙂, I hope I’m not doing something bad by getting them used to this… If anyone has any thoughts / experience or wants to share anything about feeding feral cats plz let me know. (do they need our help during these freezing months or is it best to let them be?)

• edited January 2022

Also wanted to explain:

I think the word unhoused vs homeless is better.

Almost every human has a home or something that feels or once felt like a home. Home is about feeling, experience and identity. House is about location and shelter.

Some people just are not currently sheltered from the environment.

@cuddles_ndream this is a great thing you are doing! I have a soft spot for stray animals as well.

I understand your dilemma about whether you are helping or hurting. I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in.

• Houselessness could be completely solved within a decade if we really wanted to in North America. We would just need the will to do it.

• @JasonCuddles

How would you solve homelessness?

• https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/03/its-a-miracle-helsinkis-radical-solution-to-homelessness
    A little article to show a good start. The people there seem to care so I am sure they can do it.

• @JasonCuddles awesome article- very thought provoking and shows it can be solved and how once the foundation aka the base need of housing is provided, (refer to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs) then it helps people have the security they need to solve their problems instead of “having to solve all their problems first.”

I like how it delves into the support systems needed as well for people dealing with mental health issues or other limitations.

Thank you for sharing this informative and enlightening article!

• edited January 2022

This is from last Sunday.

I don't have a religion but I often find that religious organizations have really good distribution infrastructures. The city requires a permit to distribute food, so the org takes care of that.

When I work with this organization, we meet early Sunday and pack 300 lunches. Then we drive it over to a shelter and distribute the food and the socks. I like doing the distribution part.

What I also enjoy is that this organization doesn't proselytize. So it's not like "here is some food and clothing, listen to our sermon." We are also very careful about pictures and not taking pictures of suffering people as to maintain their privacy while they are undergoing a hard time.