Gas Prices Are High as a Kite!

[Deleted User]LatinMan1963 (deleted user)
edited March 2022 in General

Does it mean prices here will also rise?

1. Will it rise?46 votes
    1. No
      26.09%
    2. Yes
      73.91%

Comments

• [Deleted User]LatinMan1963 (deleted user)

:p

• edited March 2022

You can thank Biden and Putin for that!!!

• edited March 2022

So, @bigboy125 , could you explain exactly how you think Biden controls the price of gas in the U.S.? Please take into consideration how politics and world markets that are beyond our control pretty much govern the price of oil.

We think gas is high here. I have friends in the U.K and New Zealand. Gas prices as of yesterday were the equivalent of $8 - $12/ gallon where they live. We pay a lot less than in most countries. If you want to blame Biden for gas prices - and, frankly, that’s ridiculous because he has no control over the price of crude oil, which hit $100/gallon on the world market recently - then you have to give him credit for the U.S. having among the lowest price in the world.

In some oil producing countries like Venezuela the oil production is owned by the state and they keep domestic prices artificially low as a benefit to their citizens.

This graph is already outdated but you can use it as a comparison. Gas has risen $.30/gallon in the last week here in St. Louis, it was $3.44 a week ago when this graph was made: If you look on that chart, that price would put us at approximately the 25th percentile with about 75% of other countries paying more - a lot more, like at least twice as much and in some cases three times as much.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

• I drive a tuned BRZ, e85 gas for me is not too bad right now but premium is ouch.
    Generally I only host so I don't drive to clients , so pricing doesn't really effect me as of right now, but if prices keep going up I'll probably offer my clients a small discount for driving to me.

• edited March 2022

@Rezz nice!! New Model BRZ that just came out looks pretty good. Whats your gas mileage on e85 compared to premium?

• @Babichev his decision to shut down the construction of keystone XL, has something to do with it. That wouldn’t have been completed for a couple of years but that lets oil speculators to price that into oil.
    His decision to not allow new drilling for oil or fracking on government land also plays jnto it.
    Just because we shut down here but then ask opec, Russia and Venezuela to pump more causes emissions over there which harms the globe.
    We were energy independent in 2020 and actually importing gas to Europe. We didn’t purchase oil from Russia anymore nor OPEC.
    All these decisions of his have added to the price of oil.
    The invasion of Ukraine by Russia has bumped it up by about 20%, again Biden and the Europeans could have done more to stop Putin, but Bidens lifting of the sanction for Nordstream 2 definitely emboldened Putin. Europe and especially Germany buying Russia oil and gas has emboldened hmm as well.
    Germany shut down all its nuclear power plants because of Fukushima has been a disaster for Germanys. It’s created a new class of people called energy poor.
    And yes we pay less than most people around the world but that’s mall solace to people who were only spending 30 to fill their tank under Trump to now 60 or more under Biden.

You guys are way off target. This is not about politics.

• @bigboy125 @supadupa

Gas prices are rising globally! I didn’t know Biden controlled the whole world’s gas prices. I didn’t know a pipeline that was 10% complete would be such a global advantage.

It seems some people don’t understand the basic law of supply and demand. And, how this basic concept not only affects gas prices but also causes inflation.

With the pandemic shutting down in many places, the need for oil increases. Plastic production is up. Transportation up. Business begins booming again. GDP growing faster than ever before. Too many people need stuff and there isn’t enough of it! And, now a war with Russia. And, many people complaining about gas prices are the same ones that seemingly want WW3 because they say Biden should bring in the military. The Russian people need to realize Putin is following the Hitler playbook and stop their tyrannical leader before he destroys Russia from within.

Please research topics before you blindly follow some ideological stance perpetuated by a news source with ulterior motives. We need to come together as Americans. We need solidarity. I wish you both the best.

• @Babichev Excellent response.

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

@LatinMan1963 To answer your question, cuddling fees might not increase (they may in general with inflation, experience, etc), but travel fees might increase with the cost of gas. Every pro calculates travel differently. Some charge per mile, some per hour, most though only charge for travel after the first so many miles or first hour.

• @PositiveNRG4U for someone who is supposed to be positive you’re quite dismissive of others and telling them they need to do research and not follow talking points. One could say the same of you.
    Nowhere did I say he controlled oil prices but you chose not to read that. I said his decisions did lead to some increase s did the war. But you didn’t address any of my points but hey people will always go to bag for their tribe.
    If he allowed new leases for drilling and fracking on government lands that would help with energy prices.
    If he allowed for keystone that would help.
    Like I said we were energy independent in 2020, what happened?
    But what’s the point? Peace out.

• @supadupa

I was responding to two comments at once so perhaps I grouped you in with the other and shouldn’t have. But, most of your points don’t have merit.
    You mention leases. There are 1000s of open leases. So you may ask, why aren't the oil companies drilling? Because their leadership doesn’t care about gas prices. They care about profit. It’s been that way for years. They are the ones holding back our ability for increased supply. (See source below)
    You mention energy independence. Do you know that we were still importing oil but our exporting of refined petroleum is what balanced out the imports to make us “independent”? Now we need lots more oil due to increased need. Business is booming.
    Clean energy - wouldn’t it be awesome if we didn’t need all that oil? I love your point on nuclear. It’s safe and the toxic waste byproduct is easier to deal with than a rising sea level or global climate change. Wind,
    Hydroelectric, solar, geothermal, wave energy… this is how we truly become independent.
    Keystone wouldn’t be done and we were already getting that dirty tar from Canada. It wouldn’t be helping right now.
    I studied energy processes as part of my degree so perhaps I am extra sensitive when it come to discussions on energy usage. Didn’t mean to be a jerk to you. Sorry about that. I also just really hate how our country is tearing itself apart. Unfortunately I don’t thing either political side has a leader to bring us all together. That’s why I say: Dwayne Johnson for president! Only The Rock can help us now 😁

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/environment-and-energy/oil-gas-industry-stockpiled-
    drilling-leases-before-biden-pause

• As a child I remember the gas crisis of the seventies.

We've had 45 years to transition into more renewable domestic energy sources. We did basically nothing.

And a lot of the reason is the money at the top doesn't give a damn about the people at the bottom. And that is across-the-board regardless of political affiliation.

And until people realize that nothing will nothing will change. The finger pointing, the blame shifting and the complaining will continue as ineffectively as it has for decades.

• I don’t really understand how the global oil trade works. We both export and import oil. However, in 2020 we exported more than we imported, which is a good thing, I suppose. Eventually we’re going to have to reduce our dependence on oil for multiple reasons.

It has been recently discovered that off the shore of Guyana in South America lies possibly the largest oil field ever discovered. I know someone who has been working on it. That’s going to be interesting.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/exclusive-exxon-talks-build-fourth-oil-production-rig-guyana-2021-11-11/

• edited March 2022

I would remind everyone to refresh their memories on Forum Rules which discourage discussions on politics & religion because they tend to generate flame wars. If you don’t want this discussion shut down then mind your manners. If you’re feeling emotional about a comment, walk away from the keyboard and take a break. Would also encourage you to read Sideon’s comment at the end. [Babichev]
    https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/forum/discussion/2999/forum-rules-your-moderators#latest

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

@Babichev I really don't know anything about how any of it works but just had to say - I read all of your comments and am always fascinated by all of the interesting things and people you know!

• I thought that we shouldn’t talk about politics. But I would nonetheless encourage all people to look to all sides of politics real deeply on their own, including all news sources without assuming names or labels of something just because they heard it. We can talk about gas prices without trying to point fingers so people won’t feel discouraged from talking to others. But one crazy thing is that in my state the gas has climbed by over a full dollar in just one week, this really is crazy. Yesterday it was on upper $5, now it is on mid $6 per gallon! Will I be seeing $10/gallon by the end of the month? This does alarm me like a lot.

• I thought this Forbes article from 2021 was pretty good as explanations go.

Excerpts:

The gist of the article is that there are few actions a president can take to impact gasoline prices in the short term. Those few actions historically have been 1). Release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve; 2). Increase gasoline taxes; or 3). Engage in a war in the Middle East.

President Biden did none of those, but he did take actions that were hostile to the oil and gas industry, thus driving the belief that this drove up gasoline prices.

For those who insisted that Biden’s actions had quickly driven up gasoline prices, I asked them to explain. They would respond that these moves could eventually restrict oil supplies. True, but not for years. Keystone XL might have impacted oil supplies a decade from now. The oil markets don’t react in real time to events like this.

If Keystone XL would reduce oil supplies in the future, why wouldn’t it impact oil prices today? Primarily because we don’t know the oil supply/demand picture at the time Keystone XL would have been completed. The oil markets react to moves by OPEC that quickly impact oil supplies, not to actions that may impact oil supplies in the long run — at a time we don’t know what oil demand will be.

So, What’s the Explanation?
    Note when oil and gasoline prices began to rise. That rise started in May 2020. Between the first week of May 2020 and the last week of December 2020, oil prices had tripled. Was President Trump to blame for this?

No, the reason oil and gasoline prices rose is that the economy started to open back up from the Covid-19 shutdowns. Those shutdowns had negatively impacted a couple of million barrels of U.S. oil supplies, and those supplies were slow to bounce back once the economy opened back up. That’s why we have soaring oil and gasoline prices.

Keep in mind that the entire world has experienced this. Do people honestly believe that cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline drove up gasoline prices in Tokyo? Further, this price rise has taken place across most commodities. We have seen soaring lumber prices, base metals prices, cotton, oats, sugar — all primarily associated with the Covid-19 impacts on the economy.

One major irony is that if you are a supporter of the U.S. oil industry, you should cheer higher oil prices. Low oil prices in recent years drove many producers out of business.

This year, oil prices have risen, and so have the share prices of oil producers. For example, ConocoPhillips, the world’s largest independent publicly traded pure oil and gas company, has risen 64% year-to-date. Other oil companies have experienced similar gains. Should they thank Biden? No, because he isn’t the reason oil prices rose.

Either Biden is driving up gasoline prices, which helps the U.S. oil industry, or Biden’s policies have nothing to do with higher gasoline prices, and thus his policies are doing nothing to help the U.S. oil industry.

It is in fact the latter. Despite the sharp rise in the price of gasoline this year, Biden deserves neither the credit nor the blame — although in the longer term his policies are likely to lead to higher future gasoline prices.

• @Moxytocin - I do. My ex-BF is working on both the environmental impact review and also surveying the terrain where they plan to build a pipeline. Someone is drawing it on a map but they don’t know exactly what it looks like on the ground, exactly what terrain they will encounter, what landmarks. That work is being done now. That’s the practical construction part of it. Environmentally, they are surveying the wildlife. His areas of expertise are fish and birds and they are specifically doing surveys of the marine life in the areas where they want to build. It’s been interesting to hear about. It’s going to have a profound effect on Guyana, which is a small and mostly poor country.

I think we here in this country are so accustomed to living privileged lives and we go nuts when something disturbs us. Most people here have no idea how good they have it. Putin sent planes with nuclear warheads to Venezuela a few days ago. We’re accustomed to war being over there in some other part of the world, usually involving people who don’t look like us. It’s easy to be detached about it. By some accident of birth, for most of us, we’re here and they are there. That can always change. It’s not that I don’t cringe as I watch the price of gas jump sharply in one week, knowing that it will probably continue. I do. But I also realize that in the scheme of things, even though I live on the margins, I’m still fortunate.

Lol! Only 1 person responded to my question. The rest took off on a rocket to Mars.

Ay

• Just wait till gas prices are $10/gallon by end of year and 2023

• @LatinMan1963 I can only speak as an enthusiast, so , any one of my regular cuddle individuals that travels to see me will be welcomed with dinner, movies/audible book, possible campfire (weather dependant) along with an invitation to stay the night.

But my screening process has gotten more intense, I don't click with everybody and my free time is limited.

So, I'm either quite the bargain or not worth the investment. That's up to each individual to decide I guess.

• edited March 2022

@LatinMan1963 - I did not think the question was very clear. By “here” where are you referring to? If by “here” you mean general prices in the U.S. then I don’t think the question is very interesting and ignored it because it seems obvious. If by “here” you mean this site i.e. will pros charge more - who knows? As it is, not that many with pro accounts really make all that much. It’s a side hustle for most that they fit in around the rest of their lives. How much will the market bear? I have no idea.

I just heard an economist on the BBC say that they anticipate that oil could double to $200/barrel. That certainly would throw the entire world economy into chaos.

Every Single President since Nixon has said we need to cut our dependence on foreign oil but no one has made it a priority. Louis DeJoy, the PostMaster General, just signed a contract to overhaul the Postal Service’s fleet. He could have converted to electric vehicles but no, he’s locking the Post Office into another 30 years of oil dependence. The Post Office would be an ideal customer for electric vehicles. Their local delivery trucks don’t travel that far, drive the same route every day, return to the station in the evening and could charge overnight when demand for electricity is lower.

Meanwhile yet another acquaintance in Australia is chiding his whining American FB friends, “Come here to Australia where gas is $8/gallon.”

• @LatinMan1963 i don’t completely Understand the concern about members answering your post. 29 members and counting have responded to your post unless they don’t count of course 🧐

I think it’s only natural process thinking that rising fuel costs at this historic level will increase prices on probably just about anything! My concern every time this happens is that the most economic vulnerable shoulder the weight of this . That’s been my experience living through historical fuel costs increases.

• @LatinMan1963 I have constructed an elaborate detailed list of where gas prices are increasing and where they are not:

There: Definitely increasing
    Here: Maybe
    Over Yonder: slowly increasing
    Everywhere: The jury is still out
    Back East: Yup
    In the Vicinity: oh hell yeah
    Overhead: Everything is going up from this location

I hope this scientific breakdown answers your question.

• edited March 2022

When gas goes up everything goes up because everything has to be delivered, even cuddles. At my local gas station a gallon was $4 last week, this week it's $4.50. I fully expect it to go to $7 or higher. I don't drive much, but grocery prices are going up fast too.

• @LatinMan1963 To answer your question, there are a few very important aspects. I can't really isolate your question from all this stuff, because it is layered, intertwined, and fundamental towards trying to provide you an answer. To just answer yes or no, would be insufficient.

Petroleum is all about power and money. It is a commodity that has a futures market. This means that I pay what I think is a good price, and in the future, someone will have to provide that fuel. I pay for the expected, future price of fuel. I don't pay a "current cost" and take immediate delivery. Instead, I am really, just gambling.

People bet on which way they think the price of a commodity will go, and they make or lose money depending on if they guessed properly. The guess is largely based on recent market moves and political impacts of the availability of the current supply. Future market behavior requires a lag between your observations and whether you feel you should bet one way or another on the commodity's price.

Because suppliers are always buying petroleum, based on those guesses, the realities of the supply (like war, impacting the availability), there will always be... a lag. The supply price-changes will take the shape of a big, long, slow wave in the water. So, simply because of how the markets behave, you will find that anything that has an impact on prices, will start one of these patterns that spread to affect everyone, eventually.

There are political components. Because some governments stockpile fuel, it acts as a reservoir that can be used to soften the blow of rapid market changes. That can induce a lag in pump-prices.
    Political groups and governments can use fuel as a tool or weapon. Politics introduces it own timing factors. Again, the local market has a lag to the global market.

Consumer expectation also has a delay, though it is usually causes more rapid local changes in the price at the pump.
    War generates fear. Fear causes hoarding and drives up demand. The increased demands for fuel allow me to sell my stuff at a higher price, so I will. Market players manipulate people expectations, and the outcome of that is that prices will go up here, eventually.

And don't forget profit. The world is full of greedy SOBs.
    1) The market does not work like this... Oh, the supply is up, let me pass on savings. No.
    2) It is, "I will price my fuel, at whatever people are willing to pay."

I've been spewing a bunch of words and concepts, that I barely understand, but you should get my drift.

All this stuff functions on lagging timelines. It is just part of the nature of things that, "Yes, prices will go up here", (wherever you are) because the system is designed to do that. Both the market cost of fuel, and the cost at the pump will follow trends that tend to have global coverage and affect everyone.

Peace, Daniel

• Gas and inflation will continue to rise, and eventually get out of control because of the current inept administration. Their failed policies domestically and internationally are fueling this. This is a tax on the working class. Pros will raise their prices if they have to travel to you.

• @TheMidnightOwl how’s the gas prices in AZ ⛽️?

• edited March 2022

@cuddles_ndream - In Tempe, AZ the price was $4.50 per gallon the last time I got some. A week prior to that it was $4. Before the war started it was $3.50. In southern California, prices are usually $1-$1.50 higher than AZ.

This discussion has been locked.