Vacation

[Deleted User]highfive5 (deleted user)

Two questions
Where would you move if you could move anywhere in the world and still find a job and maintain a reasonable standard of living? And also What country or city do you never want to visit?

Comments

• This is a really good question which I don’t know how to answer …

• @highfive5 There are two threads that could be had in your initial post because moving somewhere and visiting someplace are two entirely different concepts.

• I really like Salzburg in Austria. A place I have no desire to go to is Japan.

• [Deleted User]highfive5 (deleted user)

Those are two great countries, I wouldn’t mind moving or even just visiting either one of those two places.

• 1) I'm planning a trip to the Philippines to suss-out whether or not the lower cost of living is enough to get me to move there, in retirement.
    2) I would visit any country/city, for the experience of it. I've been in 3rd world environments. I've been in slums and dirt barrios. I've been in places where people are treated as a commodity.
    I go down-hill rapidly in environments where poverty and disparity is normalized and rationalized. In a slightly similar way, I suffer in places where there are other race, and social justice disparities. So, there are many places I would not choose to move or even visit.

• This is a hard one to answer!! If I were to stay in the states...Key West or near there. International, based solely on places I have been: Thats the hard part, either Dingle Ireland or Prague.

I don't have any urge to travel to India. I could be way wrong but any portrayals I have seen of it makes it seem filthy.

• I would really like to visit Vietnam as a tourisr this time instead of as a soldier. I would not ever visit Russia.

• edited March 2022

@Chad8205 nobody would claim that India is the cleanest place in the world (maybe Japan?) because .... it isn't. Except in the field of laundry: on a number of occasions my clothes came back significantly cleaner than when they were new - I didn't know stuff could be that clean. It can be an intense place to visit, especially in the north. But when I came back from Jaisalmer I said, "If you die, and you haven't been to Jaisalmer, you've screwed up." I visited the Taj Mahal twice and amazing as it was it didn't even make my top five.

@GreatHornedOwl I have been to Vietnam as a tourist and it was great. As I'm sure you already know, they are the nicest people in the world. As for Russia, nobody is visiting right now on principle. Having said that .... I bet there are some really cheap deals. I follow The Hermitage museum on Instagram, and that's the place I would live. In the museum.

As for places I wouldn't visit, I can't think of any. Why would you not visit a place? I once had twenty minutes to kill in Ostend, and I saw everything there was to see (except one thing, which was shut) and still had five minutes to spare. But it was a perfectly good fifteen minutes.

• I'd move to Iceland in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to live in Reykjavik, however. Mainly due to the large amount of tourists.

As for countries I'd never want to visit...hm. North Korea! While the country does fascinate me, every aspect of my visit would be closely monitored. And, of course, whatever money I'd spend would directly benefit a tyrannical regime.

• If I stayed in the US, I would either move to Florida or Texas. If I left the United States, it would be Northern Sweden (Lulea area) April through October then Wellington, New Zealand area October through April. I have been to both of these cities and they are both incredibly beautiful.