Unusual precipitation

Last Friday afternoon in the Nashville, Tennessee area I saw what I thought was strange snow, unlike any I had ever seen before. When I watched the weather that evening the meteorologist said it was graupel, also known as hominy snow. It's not snow and it's not sleet. I had never heard of it and was glad I had the opportunity to see it. I'm just curious if any members have seen it or other unusual precip. If you have pics, even better!

Comments

• edited April 2022

Yep graupel showers in Ohio all last week

• Graupel is German and means “snow turds”.

• @achetocuddle I missed that strange precipitation last Friday in Nashville though last night’s precipitation was not lost on me. Wild storm indeed - how did you fare with that? We had a temporary loss of power, some brutal winds and luckily ~ no damage 😊

• @FunCartel Interesting and funny. I don't know if you are joking or not, but I have read that some Germans have a preoccupation with human waste so it could fit.

@Nature_Lover_ I made it fine thru last night's storm. Very short loss of power. Bad storms always go around my neighborhood. I'm very fortunate that way.

• Haven't seen this myself yet but chances are I've heard it & didn't realize. For all I know, this is what I could've been listening to from my bed last night lol

• @Shake49 Lol. Always enjoy your posts.

@OhioMike I hoped you would respond to this post and not surprised you have a really good pic of graupel.

• edited April 2022

@achetocuddle ....I have other pics but too large for site I guess. Too much graupel I suppose 😂

• [Deleted User]GoodRightHook (deleted user)

Here where I live if there is any combination of water, freezing, and from the sky, we see it at least once a year...

• @GoodRightHook Interesting answer. I've looked at your profile before. Great pic and about me.

Meteorology is hardly cuddle-related but this discussion is great for finding people I find interesting, just as I had hoped.
    Thanks a bunch everybody.

Now I'm wondering if anyone here has studied meteorology.

• [Deleted User]GoodRightHook (deleted user)

@achetocuddle

Before I moved here I lived in Los Angeles. A city where the meteorologists can literally sleep through the forecast, and the 5 times a year it rains are an EMERGENCY!!!

So, yeah, not much interest in learning about the weather then. (Always sunny, always with a light breeze, most often between 80 to 100 degrees)

Here in the new place I am suddenly breaking out Almanac's and studying weather patterns.

• Yeah, I love Southern California weather. I got a taste of it living in Bakersfield, CA 6 years in the 80s. That low humidity will spoil you. I still miss it.
    I didn't know til now that sky water can come down so many different ways.
    @OhioMike I think your weather and mine parallel each other. I wonder if this is the norm.

• Crazy ~ We get that here all the time and I never knew it was called that! My friend from the south was insisting it was sleet and I was certain it was hail. Lol ~ Thanks for the new thing learned today!!

• @quixotic_life Thanks for being an interested learner. It's also called soft hail.

• Unusual precipitation is the norm up here in Minnesota. Drove thru about 5 min of a blustery graupel squall this evening. It looks like tiny foam packaging balls. My son thought it was hail and the new car was going to be damaged. Typical April weather!

• It seems there is no gentle graupel. Glad Cobalt's car didn't get damaged.

• Brand new Audi, my son was freaking out. It just splatters like raindrops when it lands, nothing to worry about. My farm to the south got hammered by hail the other night though. We can have thunderstorms/tornadoes and snow in the same week during this time of year.

• @achetocuddle I’m so glad to hear that you have remained safe through the storms!

• edited April 2022

Weather related tiktok

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdQnG6rU/

• @Nature_Lover_ Ditto! I like your profile pics.

• Today we're getting bright flashes and big booming, slow-rolling rumbles from above 🌩 ~ one lasted for at least 7 seconds!
    Wicked cool!!

• @quixotic_life Between the snow, hail and the thunderstorms it’s definitely been an interesting week of April in the PNW.

• Now I'm wondering if anyone here has studied meteorology

I have a degree in meteorology!

Graupel is interesting. There are many types of winter precipitation!
    Snow flakes, snow pellets (essentially graupel), snow grains, ice pellets (sleet), freezing rain, freezing fog (not technically precipitation, but still neat) and hail. Although hail is not really winter precipitation, sleet is commonly mistaken for small hail.

• @quixotic_life Nicely descriptive.

@blisscuddles I believe many of us in the USA are having interesting April weather. I would much prefer the mild, uninteresting weather Tennessee used to have in April. Lol.

@quincyq03 I love this synopsis. Thank you.

So many interesting people so far away. Sigh.

• @achetocuddle Sure is unpredictable weather…it’s becoming more common than not. Yes to mild predictable weather!