Funny girl

13»

Comments

• @snugbuddy I never said one group will be replaced by another group. That is an either/or supposition on your part. I said “make room for marginalized voices” which is a very clear distinction and one that implies sharing. Are you saying oral histories have no place?

But your lens does narrow when it comes to religion and citing a fantastical book as fact. That is your evidence? That is your thorough research? Faith is not scientific, it is akin to the faith that sheep put into the lead sheep who of course are pretty much winging it.

• Every verse I listed deals with that to try to counter the focus on religious hatred in this thread. If people want to look them up that's their choice. I don't think it's either/or. The goal you mention can be accomplished both by example and scripture.

Well folks, I tried.

To all those reading and/or participating in this thread, religion has certainly been a problem throughout human history, and continues to be. If you hate religion, you're in good company. Jesus hated it too.

I wish all of you peace. Spiritual peace and every other kind of peace ❤️

• edited April 2022

@FunCartel Faith is not science or history. It is faith The bible is not a book of science or strictly history. It's a theological book. We live in secular society and I'm not pushing for the Bible to be taught as history or science or even taught at all in public schools. I was talking about the field of history. I didn't say you were saying that one group's narrative would or should replace another group's , nor am I saying that all groups don't deserve a voice. Only that there has been some recent history fads that are being pushed and promoted that are deficient in historical facts and scholarship.

• I thought there was going to be a funny girl. So disappointing, I need a good laugh today

• @snugbuddy My point was you are using the Bible to argue against a position. Now you are saying that it is a theological book. As such it does not carry weight as a factual reference to someone who does not buy the religious view you support. You can’t say that secular arguments must be supported by science and facts and then use the Bible in that manner. It is a supporting document to its adherents only.

• edited April 2022

@pmvines i thought it was about Barbara Streisand……. !

• @OhioMike and @pmvines You should take your act on the road! I would buy a ticket. Lol.

• edited April 2022

@Cuddle_RN I don't believe that anybody said anything about hating religion. As far as I'm concerned, anybody can believe in any religion they want. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, when some fool's belief causes him to begin hating people that have a different belief, then I take offense.

Let me direct a question to those of you who profess a belief in any religion at all. Why do you believe in your particular religion? Or, to rephrase the question, have you actually given any thought to why you believe that the teachings of your religion are more correct than those of any other religion?

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect that at least 90% of those who answer my question honestly. will answer that they believe in their religion because it's the religion that their parents believe in. In other words, it's a pure accident. If you had had different parents, you might now believe in a different religion.

Of those idiots who blindly hate people of other faiths, I would guess that it is at least 99% who hate who they do because of the accident of who their parents are.

• edited April 2022

@GreatHornedOwl: Well said.

Personally, I hate false beliefs. Take that whole "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing—if my parents hadn't believed that, they wouldn't have beaten me. The false belief came first. And when it left, they stopped beating their kids.

Or take the concept of an atheist ideology: that not believing in a supernatural person comes with its own system of ideas and ideals. Do all a-unicornists have a unique set of ideals? What about those people who don't believe in ghosts? What does an a-Loch-Ness-monsterist ideology look like? What's a round earther ideology; what horrible things does it lead to?

Believing that all people who don't think gods really exist have a shared system of (terrible) ideas and ideals... this leads to fearing or even hating anyone who doesn't believe in the existence of a deity.

Certainly you wouldn't vote for them. No matter how good a job they would do.

False beliefs suck. Religions teach a lot of things that aren't true. They also teach some things that are true! I approve of that. But when I look at all the falsehood... well, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

To me, note well—to me. Like GreatHornedOwl, I don't care what anybody else believes unless and until it starts hurting folks!

• I'm personally a semi tolerant heathen with a fairly decent code of ethics ~

Unless it's consensual I don't like anyone causing harm to anyone else ~ And that people minupulate scriptures or hide behind an organized religion to perpetuate hate, incite wars, etc. is obviously incredibly harmful.

I believe the majority of religious folks are probably decent people, but there are some within those circles who make easy prey of those who follow without question.

So believe what you will, but keep in mind no matter your faith (or lack there of), we're all on a spectrum of susceptibility. And since the beginning of history there have been crafty story tellers able to move masses to do things against an 'other' they likely never thought they'd do to anyone.

TL:DR
    Question authority and consider motives.