Share Your Love Languages

edited May 2022 in General

Hey everyone!

I see many references in profiles to Physical Touch, and have had some wonderful discussions with you in PM about the Love Languages.

Have you taken the Love Languages quiz before? I thought it would be super fun if we took it and shared our results! Here is the link - you do not have to enter a real e-mail to view your results: https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/love-language

Let's all pretend to be surprised when we score high on Physical Touch! 😛

~ Sunset Snuggles

P.S. It's interesting to note that this is for what makes YOU glow and feel loved...how you express your love to others can be completely different!

Comments

• Here are my results...same as usual, Quality Time is my number one, almost neck and neck with Physical Touch.

Nothing fills up my love tank quite like spending time with the person I love. If that can happen while wrapped in each other's arms...true bliss.

Gifts rank at zero...I have a lot of anxiety around equal gift giving/receiving.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• Gonna take the quiz now … for my email 📧 I’ll put JohnDoe@JohnDoe.com lol

• Our results are nearly identical! & I love how we don’t require nor need gifts 🎁 ☺️

• @cuddles_ndream high five

~ Sunset Snuggles

• For me:
    1 Quality time
    2 Touch (very close 2nd place)

Gifts and actions were waaaaay behind at the bottom.

Interesting little quiz.

• Quality time is first and physical touch and words of affermations are tied for 2nd!

• my love language is you calling me weird like I'm the most expensive wine no one's been able to afford until now.
    my love language is stillness, waiting... maintaining the question for half a decade, maybe longer
    8 hour hugs, synchronized breathing
    my love language is to halve the distance infinitely
    hearing no, saying no
    having my boundaries honored, having my boundaries celebrated, when my no is held with care, like a gift instead of an inconvenience.
    my love language is being touched like worship
    directness
    ambiguity
    ambiguity that leads to directness
    weird. weird like a child, like what if the trees sang to you, what if we were tigers, what if just you were a tiger and I was a ghost
    I'm only on this planet to hit peak weird, and it's only happened three times. If you ever go there with me, you're a universe I will struggle to exit
    my love language is living in the feedback loop where the stranger I get the more your eyes shine- like you're daring me, and I can't not
    my love language is seeing someone alchemize feedback and make changes
    when people tell me the hard things, the things no one else is bold enough to hit me with
    my love language is maintaining eye contact to the point of hallucinating
    loss of control in the controlldest of control freaks.

• This is surprising since I obviously love to cuddle lol (Physical touch is 0% wow!) but this also makes sense that it’s not my primary love language

• @SunsetSnuggles Great post! My love languages are almost perfectly equal in all categories 🤷‍♀️😊

@vivalalife - love your take on this and several of your professed love languages hit my heart, including honoring my boundaries and especially all the weird stuff 💜

• @vivalalife I have long felt that there were lots of holes in the 5 love languages. It really just grazes the surface. Thank you for digging deeper & sharing. I can relate to a lot of yours.

• 1- physical touch
    2- quality time

• No surprises here.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

I think I fit in this 6th language.

• @elfdog21 I see you got the whole hand symbol. Why did I just get the middle finger when I took the test?

• Have never taken a percentage based test. But this still tracks with what I have known for several years.

Also I have found that reading the book to understand the theory behind it adds context. We 'speak' our primary love language to others.

I find it interesting as well that so many of us are very low/none on gift giving. We seem to rather give of ourselves instead.

• I did one that measures 7 types of receptive love...

The results don't match what I'd have guessed, but upon reading the desriptions these actually track.

Emotional 30%

Those who focus on the Emotional love language feel loved when their partner is able to connect with them and support them through difficult and scary emotions. Being present for the highs and lows is very important to those with the Emotional love language.

Physical 28%

People with the Physical love language feel loved when they receive physical affection—hugs, holding hands, and snuggles. They want their partners to show they're attracted to them and initiate loving touch.

The remaining qualities came up as the following:
    Appreciation 20%
    Activity 14%
    Practical 3%
    Intellectual 2%
    Financial 0%

Appreciation
    People who focus on the Appreciation love language feel loved when their partner gives them compliments, praise, and thanks. They appreciate hearing explicitly what their partner likes and admires about them.

Activity
    People who focus on the Activity love language feel special and valued when their partner takes an interest in their hobbies and activities, and makes an effort to enjoy hobbies and interests together.

Practical
    People with the Practical love language feel loved when their partners chip in with everyday duties and responsibilities. They feel cared for when their loved ones do chores and offer help.

Intellectual
    People with the Intellectual love language like to connect through the mind. They feel loved when their partner values their intelligence, respects their opinion, and takes part in thoughtful discussion of important issues.

Financial
    People with the Financial love language feel loved when their partner is generous with resources, and sees value in spending money to bring their partner pleasure and joy. This love language may be expressed through gifts, or just making space in the family budget for your partner's enjoyment.

Follow-up:
    Does anyone happen to have a link to a test for what types we like to give?? I think that's where my discrepancies may come from (between what I thought vs what my results were).

• @SunsetSnuggles Nice thread! I'm also surprised with how many people are showing up with 0% Gift Giving. (Well, maybe not) Gift giving just seems too material for me, unless it's a give that allows for us to spend time doing something together... and receiving a 'high end' gift... WAY too stressful... :anguished: I'd rather spend time cuddled up with someone, sharing each other's thoughts and feeling, and DEFINITELY building each other up... :smiley:

• [Deleted User]pianomann (deleted user)

I’m wondering if there is a broader correlation between scoring high on physical touch and low on gifts…

• edited May 2022

I feel like gift giving becomes increasingly more valuable when you've got long distance friends, especially because I have friends that I swap stuffed animals with because we can't hug each other over long distances - it's all about how you use it or what you mean by the gift.

Gift giving isn't about materialism, it can be as simple as making your friends desserts or giving them cute stickers or something physical when the person can't be there physically so I really really value gifts from close friends.

Here's my love language chart!

Edit: I also want to note that I don't like big flashy gifts, but its little things that are more like a "Hello! I saw this and I wanted to give it to you" or an "I made this for you!"

I keep little drawings or cards my friends give me in envelopes, I have a little rock and stress toys and stuffed animals from my friends in little places around me most of the time.

I really respect that some people don't need or want gifts and the anxiety that comes with gift giving but I also think that it can be something beautiful especially when it's casual, or when you put a lot of thought into it.

• My book club is going to be reading the 5 love languages book soon! I love all the conversations that it sparks because before ever hearing about the concept, I never really thought of asking / expressing a need for acts of service in my relationships, like I’m hyperindependent and always thought that was an inappropriate thing to want from people, I still struggle with asking for help when I need it but I’m better than I was lol. The love languages definitely aren’t perfect but it was so validating to realize that there’s nothing wrong with me being like “I don’t want jewelry, I just want you to do the dang dishes “ 😂

• @SunsetSnuggles i love your threads! You always have the most interactive topics.

My love language came out as quality time and words of affirmation as the top 2. I like when they are combined together. I’m all about positive speech while doing activities together. But it also means I’m a sucker for sweet talkers lol. I think gifts are important too but in little notes here and there and possibly food sharing.

Physical touch seems about right to be in the middle lol it’s still important but trust building comes before touch

• Rating myself without that particular test, my two highest ones are touch and quality time at 39% each. Words of affirmation is maybe around 15%, acts of service probably around 7% and gifts is 0.

• This
    was neat!

• @SunsetSnuggles Thank you very much for another awesome forum topic!

• I’m always interested in this topic. I have taken the test several times over the years and it will change up slightly. Here are my results today.

• edited May 2022

Thanks for sharing your results! @cuddles_ndream @Chad8205 @CozyWolfy @krissybear123 @Nature_Lover_ @robroo @elfdog21 @CSnMUS87 @pianomann @JasonCuddles @munkg @saltwaterlover So interesting to see how we all shake out.

@butterflyqueen posted: "i love your threads! You always have the most interactive topics."
    Aww, you're so sweet! Thank you!!

@SuperManCuddles posted: "Thank you very much for another awesome forum topic! "
    You bet'cha! Thank you!!

@vivalalife I like it!!

@Btown haha Nice. ;)

@KYtransplant posted: "I find it interesting as well that so many of us are very low/none on gift giving. We seem to rather give of ourselves instead."
    Love this, yes! Our time and friendship is valuable.

@quixotic_life posted: "Does anyone happen to have a link to a test for what types we like to give?? I think that's where my discrepancies may come from (between what I thought vs what my results were)."
    I would love to see that, too; how I express love can be so different from what is most meaningful for me to receive!

@jaswbrown posted: "Gift giving just seems too material for me, unless it's a give that allows for us to spend time doing something together..."
    The gift of an experience! Love this. Tickets to a concert or game or movie, coupons for back rubs or head scritches, taking someone on a road trip or out for a picnic, going to an event or conference together, all awesome gifts that focus on Quality Time.
    You posted: "and receiving a 'high end' gift... WAY too stressful..."
    I'm so with you, here! My gift score is so low because I find it so stressful...I always want to give something equal to what the other person has given, both financially and as far as the emotional thought/impact. Very difficult trying to make that happen.

@Elthira posted: "I have friends that I swap stuffed animals with because we can't hug each other over long distances"
    This is so sweet! I've mailed one of my stuffed animals to a friend, before. Have you ever been to Build-a-Bear? I used to get on a phone call with my ex-boyfriend in another state, we would both walk into a Build-a-Bear while on the call, and make our bears at the same time. So precious!

@CupcakeAlli posted: "it was so validating to realize that there’s nothing wrong with me being like “I don’t want jewelry, I just want you to do the dang dishes“"
    Yes, this is totally Acts of Service! I saw a really cool video once (can't find it, I tried!) where couples were asked on the street what they gave each other for Valentine's Day or a birthday...most couldn't answer the question. Then they asked them to share something that their spouse does every week that makes them feel loved. They all had an outpouring of responses! So sweet. Acts of Service can be so huge. :)

Thanks for sharing, everyone! <3

~ Sunset Snuggles

• Although I am a professional cuddler -I actually do not LOVE physical touch. I have sensory processing issues so cuddling especially with people i dont know or have no other attachment to is really a labor of love for me. I do like mild touching, hand holding, hugging, but most of the time I am okay if I'm not constantly touching someone and I would go even further to say that sometimes physical touch can make me feel SUPER uncomfortable like nails on a chalkboard. I would say my love language is quality time over everything and gifts