There’s no such thing as yesterday or tomorrow

We’re constantly living in the now, & we’re a product of our experiences. Our experiences makes us who we are! … We are who we believe we are.

Comments

• [Deleted User]GoodRightHook (deleted user)

True... except that THIS now is influenced by THOSE now and will effect THAT now coming up... NOW.

• Ok, Dr. Strange.

• [Deleted User]dontmasktruth (deleted user)

Took me a while to process Multiverse of Madness (btw it came out Mother's Day weekend and it's M.o.M 🥲) but ultimately I think it was a blast. I agree we're always in a cognitive now, about 240 ms in normal conditions (your thought periodicity in laymen's terms), but now is inherently a limit as the past approaches the future. The issue is that time is relative so there isn't an actual universal now, so time can be accurately conceived of as a direction you are constantly traveling in no matter where you are in the universe. Thus, picture a spiral (3 dimensional filament) growing infinitely longer. A 🧬 DNA helix with no ends is a great analogy, or a 3d sine wave. Enjoy your present and future nows, may they involve some cuddling.

• edited May 2022

Yeah ..... except that as @dontmasktruth suggests there is no such thing as the present, or now. That's just something humans made up .... and turned out to be wrong.

[Quick google google.] Here's a random article to get you started if you're interested.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandezelizabeth/2019/11/10/are-the-past-and-future-real-the-physics-and-philosophy-of-time/

We are who we believe we are.

No, no, we're really not. Believing something doesn't make it true. I suspect what you mean is that some people's aspirations are unneccessarily curtailed by false beliefs about themselves or the world. Entertaining fantasies about who they "really" doesn't help such people. Identifying the false beliefs, proving them false and abandoning them is what's helpful.

• @GoodRightHook yes

@MrMarkAndrew went & looked up dr. strange… was getting ready to crush you like a beer can

@dontmasktruth thanks for the technical analysis… was the movie good? might go watch it

• We cannot even be certain that now exists. But if there is existence now, how can we relate two locations such that their positions and spatial dimensions are registered in relation to each other accurately, assuming that those relative positions are in flux? We could receive the incident light from those objects and calculate the distance at a certain point in TIME, which assumes that time exists. The speed of the objects will also create temporal inconsistencies in space-time relative to other objects. So how can we really say there is just now? Our now might be somebody's future or past. Perhaps time does not exist. If that's the case then there is no now, as it cannot be differentiated from future or past. There is just matter and motion. Maybe.

• This is one of those murky, chasing your tail questions. Kind of like if you are burned alive at the stake will you receive a deep discount on cremation from the funeral home?

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

I believe I am Albert Einstein.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

Oops, I take that back. A light just went on in my head and I believe I am Thomas Edison.

• edited May 2022