Why Have Recent Popular Thread Titles English Incomplete, Yes?

edited August 2022 in General

I'm just curious why all the recent popular thread titles are sentence fragments, a strange assortment of misplaced words, or words from Yoda?

Yes, I do spend time pondering empty trifles. Cheers.

Comments

• Well, you see, no one's really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like a title thread good, so they thing say fast to move on to talk when they think.

It's simple, really.

• @DaringSprinter Omg I was reading that and it felt like my brain got scrambled 😂

• edited August 2022

(I can start to stutter and I really feel this kids pain)

• Most people are pretty bad at expressing themselves in written form. It’s not a new phenomenon.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

@DaringSprinter You continue to amaze me.
    @Charlie_Bear Cute video

• @Btown haha thank you. I feel like him too often 🙃

• @CuddleWho Maybe, but it doesn't explain how their actual posts were composed of complete sentences or even a paragraph. I just wonder humorously to myself how come the actual titles look like the refrigerator word-assortment magnet game. Lol

• @Charlie_Bear and @Btown: Happy to help!

(In all seriousness, I think it's probably an attempt at replicating click-bait article titles.)

• @cylee1180 I never expected to laugh so much today. Thank you!
    @DaringSprinter I know I sound like a sycophant, but even when you are incoherent you are brilliant! Lol.

If I ever get the nerve to start a thread again, I'm gonna make sure it's a complete sentence :)

• @achetocuddle Glad to make the goat laugh!

• @cylee1180 That shoplifter one made me do one of those deep guttural laughs. The only problem is a few people would take that as a compliment. Lol.

• @achetocuddle Those are the best kind! I doubt you have a judgemental audience now! Back to imaginary cuddling...

• @achetocuddle: I think you disagree with me on enough subjects to never be considered a sycophant. I appreciate your appreciation of my writing even when you disagree with the ideas!

...And yeah, the shoplifting sign cracked me up, too. Oh dear.

• @DaringSprinter I am glad you know better than to think I am a sycophant. Lol. It's late and I'm so out of it that I was thinking about the shoplifter thing rom the john's perspective at first. (My thoughts) "How is that gonna be a punishment to him?"
    This means it's time for those of us who are truly incoherent to go to bed. Ha!

• @cylee1180 dang so if you get caught shoplifting, you gotta work the streets until your debt’s paid off 😂

• @Charlie_Bear Yes, I'll have to change my screen name to:

• So Hung Lo
    • Mai Long Dong
    • Kremov Sum Yung Gai
  • @cylee1180 haha hopefully the shopkeeper will spare you and let you off with a warning

• I have to admit I’m really bad at it. Sometimes I have my moments where I’m like wow I wrote that, but most the time I read back and I think gosh I wish I could have someone write it for me and posted it. When I get to read an intelligent sounding post it always thrills me. I may not always agree with what they’re saying but I love how they word everything. @DaringSprinter , @SunsetSnuggles, @JohnR1972 , @Btown, @CuddleDuncan. There’s so many more to mention but you guys really know how to write and express yourself.

If you ever hear me saying anything especially intelligent know that my son help me proofread it.💛💛

• @KozyKim You're so funny and sweet and appealingly honest. I feel the the same about what I write and I love reading the smart and well-put-together posts here, whether I agree or not.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

@KozyKim @achetocuddle I like it when people just write whats on their mind.
    It's authentic and doesn't need to be corrected or judged. You both are valued members of this community so worry not about the small stuff.

• Thanks @Btown. Nowadays I don't even sweat a lot of the big stuff. Sometimes I don't sweat the things I should. Lol.

• Oh... pondering trifles (not truffles or tribbles)...
    Yeah, I do that too...

Silly me ~ Cylee meant these:

Not these:

Or these like this:

Such a goose... 🤪

• edited August 2022

As someone who speaks several languages, I've always found the tendency of English speaking online forum members to pedantically assign a value to someone, based on their grasp on the minutiae of the English language, as an odd thing.

My first language is Urdu. My second language is English. My third language is Spanish. Fourth is French. I can read Arabic and Farsi, but I don't understand most of what I'm reading. I can understand someone speaking to me in Punjabi, but I can't speak punjabi back to them.

I know plenty of brilliant people who don't necessarily have a firm grasp on the detailed rules of the English language. It's not at all a good metric to judge them by.

Frankly, the whole concept stinks of the remnants of colonialism and imperialism of English speaking nations.

Edited this part out of your post. Comments like that can lead to arguments. You should know better by now.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

However, It makes me feel really sad for my immigrant parents, who were brilliant in their fields and had to face the hardship of moving to a foriegn country in their old age and starting over. I can only imagine them having to deal with people like that except face to face in real life.

• @MCcuddles2 Thanks for sharing your background. My family is also an immigrant family (Cantonese Chinese), and I can also stumble my way through multiple languages.

The OPS are definitely native speakers because their posts were well-written and correct in mechanics. In addition, usually the people who are the most picky about grammar cannot compose a complete sentence if their lives depended on it - I was just poking fun. That is all. I also didn't understand why there was a correlation between strangely composed post titles and popularity - yet there was!

No one (I hope) is getting an ego rise out of being able to speak a language that we grew up speaking, nor are we making fun of other cultures.

Have a good one, man. Cheers.

• edited August 2022

@KozyKim We love your contributions too! Always coherent and well-thought put.

@quixotic_life Trufflers need not apply! There's no room to mush here! But I consider myself a fun-gi! :)

• edited August 2022

@cylee1180 You are a fun-gi and really smart. I hope you continue to enjoy posting on the forum. I even enjoy your posts when I don't know what's going on. Lol.

@cylee1180 I'm gonna venture a guess that you can more than stumble thru the languages you know. Lol. And I have noticed some of the picky grammarians post frequent mistakes that don't seem to be merely typos. They should quit while they are behind :) Also, could you post that Triflers Need Not Apply meme/sign/whatever it is in EVERY thread?
    I'm just playing around. Carry on. Please!

Edited due to gaining some much appreciated insight from a couple of people. :)

• @achetocuddle Clay Aiken! I can't even find the original newspaper ad. It came from a female serial killer putting newspaper ads to meet men - and ending them w Triflers Need Not Apply! Lol. I feel bad for the non-triflers...they had trifled their last truffle... :)

• One of my key hurdles for deciding if I want to know somebody I have met online is, can you write a complete sentence in correct English? Obviously this does not apply to people I know or suspect to be non-native speakers .... although such people frequently jump the hurdle at once.

What is a yellow flag for me is the obsession with textspeak, abbreviations and typos. What's going on with that? I don't know, but there are some people who will not write even the most trivial of sentences without making it harder to understand in some unnecessary way. I don't care about the English per se, but this behaviour is, in my experience, heavily correlated with flaking, ghosting, taking offence at innocuous remarks and the like. (It doesn't work the other way around - some people who always write in perfect English do these things too.)

• @CuddleDuncan Maybe text speak and abbrev correlates w a short attention span or easily distracted- they might double book, change their minds, or pple pls often and back out.