Greatest comedian of all time.

George Carlin... R.I.P. This guy was legendary.

Comments

• edited August 2022

For stand up, either Dave Chappelle or Bill Cosby. TV show, Larry David.

• @Mike403 - first let me say I am happy to see you back on CC, many of us missed you.

Second, when I saw the title of this thread, before I even clicked on it, my very first thought was George Carlin. I also liked Dennis Wolfberg (a more family friendly comedian) as well as Rodney Dangerfield. Unfortunately all of them have passed. One of my favorite still performing comedians is JP Sears.

• So many in stand up...

George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby (although tough to think of him as good at anything now), Robin Williams, Andrew "Dice" Clay, Steven Wright, Ellen Degeneres in her time, Jerry Seinfeld, Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, Margaret Cho, a little respect to Rodney Dangerfield, Steve Martin... This list can go on and on and can be pretty subjective to the person judging, huh?

• My favorite was Robin Williams, then second Steve Martin, I really loved Harvey Korman and Tim Conway. That might aging me a little bit. I met them when they came out of there dressing rooms one time when I saw them had a show. My mom said let’s sneak back and see if we can find them, after the show. She was all we can do is get turned around but sure enough they came out of the dressing room and I got to say thank you for so many years of laughter. That was before cell phones so I didn’t get a picture. What a great moment though to tell someone how much you enjoyed them over the years.

• @KozyKim always so so so funny to watch Tim Conway and Harvey Korman trying to keep from cracking up at each other in the middle of a skit.

• Dave Chappelle hands down!

• Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Norm MacDonald, Rodney Dangerfield, Sam Kinison, Roseanne Barr, Jerry Seinfeld, Colin Quinn is underrated. Nick DiPaolo was great too before he went racist.

• If you haven't heard of Dan Cummins, his stuff is dirty but HILARIOUS

• They were/are all hilariously great, although it took me a minute to pay attention to Dave Chappelle; what I missed all those years. When I was a little girl my maternal grandmother hated, hated Bill Cosby. 🤔 maybe her intuition was on point.

I met George when I was 10-12 years old by way of back-in-the-day TV, probably on Johnny Carson. I recently watched the 2-part Prime Video, George Carlin’s American Dream documentary, it was great.

• Mike403 is back!! YAY!! Richard Pryor. Dave Chappelle and George Carlin are right up there too. There is some Dave Chappelle video on one of the old threads. Good stuff.

• there is so many that comes to mind! Just to name a few i'll say Betty White, Whoopi Goldberg, Eddy Murphy, Wanda Sykes, Melissa McCarthy! I also love love love Margaret Cho & Tiffany Haddish!! 💘

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

Lenny Bruce, Bob Saget, Jeff Foxworthy, Jonathan Winters, Ron White.

• I don’t think there is one “greatest”. Maybe top 5 who kind of invented their own sub-genres

Carlin - invented the observational minutae and making fun of media and consumer society
    Richard Pryor - he went there with race and drugs and though it seems tame now it was astonishing at the time
    Joan Rivers - the original Ms Maisel
    Steve Martin - abstract goofball comedy. The smart guy pretending to be a dumb guy who thinks he’s smart. Absurdist.
    Steven Wright - kind of forgotten now but was able expert joke writer. Set up and punch

Every great comedian today is from one of these five schools. Chapelle heavily influenced by Pryor. Bo Burnham, Eddie Izzaed is from the Steve Martin school. Sebastian Manuscalco - Carlin style observations. Seinfeld too.

Steve Wright style bang bang joke writing seems to have gone out of style.

I never saw Lenny Bruce or heard his albums but anyone who saw him says he is on the Mt Rushmore.

• Steven Wright was good.

• For me, it's gotta be Robin Williams. I got to meet him and talk to him for a while. He came to see us during a USO tour (can't say where) and while EVERY ONE else in the group actually looked like they'd been flying for the last 24hrs, he was excited to meet us. He ended up doing an impromptu routine for roughly twenty of us with the energy you'd expect for a performance in front of thousands, and had us in stitches.

Afterward, when the other celebrities were given time to talk to the group, he approached me and asked how I was doing. I said that I was "doing well" and he asked "Are you sure?" and smiled. "Doing better now, thank you." I've gotten mostly "thank you for your service" from celebrities (and a hug from Allison Sweeney 😁), and I appreciate it, but Robin Williams was the first one to actually check to see how I was doing. As anyone could imagine, I took his passing pretty hard. 😢😢😢 RIP

• I don't think anyone touches Carlin and Pryor at their peak. The combo of biting social commentary and hilariousness has only been simulated since, and not at all well.

• I give Steve Martin props for inventing a style that had no obvious influence David Letterman also invented a new form of comedy with his first show. One of the most gifted ad libbers that ever lived.

• Ali Wong , Russell Peters, Elayne Boosler @achetocuddle 's recommendation, Jo Koy, Sebastian Maniscalco

• Gilbert Gottfried has to be my favorite.Rodney Dangerfield was really good. Love Chapelle and George Carlin.

• I was inconsolable when David Letterman left NBC. There is nobody like him, especially in his younger days.

• @jaswbrown that is so awesome! I loved Robin Williams in every role he played. He is probably my favorite comedian.

• A male for me would be Red Skeleton
    A female for me would be Lucy from the tv show. I Love Lucy
    For the the younger generation you can go to U Tube and search and you’ll find them

• edited August 2022

Outside of standup, for recent times. Robin Williams and Tom Hanks. However for all time great, you can't beat Charlie Chaplin, with W.C. Fields a close second.

I think that The Man With One Red Shoe with Tom Hanks and John Belushi was one of the all time great comedy films, but it never got the recognition it deserved.

• Let me throw out some more contemporary names, Kyle Kinane, K Trevor Wilson, Tim Dillon, trying to list more but i don't have the time right now. Louis C.k. George Carlin and Dave Attell are some of my favorites from the old school.

• George Carlin is great. I also like Garrison Keillor. My family had a cassette of A Prairie Home Companion that I nearly wore out with listening. Ah, yes, the delicious and endangered arbutnot....

• edited August 2022

@waynewv lucy was incredible in the first show. one of the greats for sure, especially for physical and facial comedy. The situations were so stupid and ridiculous, but she made everything work beautifully. So many iconic moments that are still funny.

• @achetocuddle Letterman's first show was amazing. I've watched some of the bits on YouTube, like some of the phone calls, and I like them even more than I did at the time.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

@DaringSprinter So glad you mentioned Garrison Keillor. The stories of Lake Wobegon are great. I got to meet him twice and he is very comical and engaging.