Seems Cypher was right

Cypher, for those who don't know, is the secondary antagonist within the third and fourth act of the pop culture smash hit movie "The Matrix" released in 1999. In Cypher's first interaction with Neo, he is clearly disillusioned with the world he is in and his position within it. He laments his decision and his most quotable lines are "why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?" and "ignorance is bliss". His attitude is polarizing to everyone else's and the name "Cypher" is that of a greek god who dwells in deception and shape shifting. "Cipher" is also the name for a secret form of writing or code which is why the word "decipher" is used to solve something hidden. Cypher's role in the plot is clear and his machiavellian intentions are all but obvious. This then culminates in him betraying Morpheus(and ultimately Zion) in exchange for being re-inserted into the Matrix by Agent Smith. Prior to this, Cypher's exposition with Smith in the matrix was short but concise. The theme of his micro monologue aligned perfectly with the movie's solipsistic underpinnings and he made his point clear; reality is only what you BELIEVE it is..nothing more..nothing less.

When we think about what the real world, modern day equivalent of the beginnings of an actual Matrix, it isn't Mark Zuckerberg's metaverse that comes to mind. As a matter of fact, for most, nothing really comes to mind as the distance between the immersiveness of the virtual world's we peruse today and the fictional matrix seems so indescribably vast. Yet, there is a parallel and it can only be found in the world of VR Chat. VR Chat(VRC) is a game created in 2017 where players can create instanced worlds where they can interact with other users via avatars. Full body tracking (including eye blinking & movement) is a feature and half of it’s 24,000 concurrent users play in VR headsets. The game supports tens of thousands of completely custom user created worlds with a plethora of built in games that users can play together though its primary use is simply socializing and hanging out with friend. While it is essentially a very rudimentary precursor to the Wachowski’s Matrix, it is the current zenith of digitally simulated reality. At face value, VRC appears to be a child game with the worlds being hyper-vibrant, colorful, and animated yet most users are between the ages of 18 and 34 despite the minimum age being 13. VRC’s terms of service relative to user content and experience is relatively liberal as any violation of ToS and a concurrent ban can be subverted by simply creating a new account. At the same time, there is a ranking system where users acquire different name badging after a certain amount of hours on the same account and users with the highest badging often avoid talking to new users who have the lowest. This incentivizes adherence to the ToS and social etiquette for the sake of connection. Still, similar to real life, the VRC experience is expansive, variable and volatile.

You could enter a world that is a giant sandbox with mostly kids playing virtual catch while discussing another game, school, or their family life. You could enter a world set on a 3D platform in space with teenagers having deep, intimate, thought-provoking conversations about philosophy, religion, and mental health while gazing out at digital cosmos. You could enter a worlds that is literally VR church with real world pastors giving sermons and reading through the actual bible. Is the opposite true? Of course. There are actually 18+ worlds that are literally dim-lit, high end, neon strip clubs with professional dancers in fully nude avatars pole dancing where people play party games involving consuming drugs and alcohol, and have non-sarcastic, simulated sex in private rooms….yes, I’m not even kidding with the last one. It's actually called erotic role play(ERP) and people were doing this before the commercialization of haptic feedback suits so I’m sure you can imagine what’s going on there. Every level of decency and debauchery can and does happen in this game. VRC even has an economy where users pay other users to do any and everything with them. Users even form organizations that run donation derived funding channels that pay developers to create custom worlds and avatars for the group. Some people actually make a living developing VRC specific content. I know this is hard to believe but, despite the bulky, uncomfortable headsets and necessary proximity to their computers, many users sleep in VRC. They are entire worlds designed for this. People date in VRC and some even meet up in real life and eventually get married. VRC isn’t just a game. It is a prophecy; a cultural revolution that tech conglomerates like Facebook, which is now Meta, are betting their entire $572B brand name on.

So I've said all this to say what exactly? Well, people cuddle in VRC too. Don't worry, I had the same bewilderment...and the same questions; mainly "why?" and "how?". Well the "why" shouldn't be too much of a mystery to anyone on this site. VR cuddlers perceive the same problem we do...their solution is just drastically different. Still, for as much as we go on about the undeniable power of physical touch and affection, it is understandable to be highly critical of a non-physical solution to what we perceive to be a physical problem...and that's where the "how" comes in.

There is a phenomenon called phantom pain where someone who has lost a limb or an appendage feels perceives pain in that missing body part. Some scientist say this is a product of the shorting of the nerves that were previously connected to the limb while others say it is a consequence of the latency of the brain in reconfiguring it's body map. There is little research on the mechanics of this phenomenon but it doesn't actually matter to much how it happens but it does...and so does the opposite. Phantom pleasure is perceiving physical stimulus where none actually exist. VR players report feeling sensations in the body parts that are being touched on their avatars within the game. This seems to be especially prevalent when they first start playing as the extent of the immersiveness is still novel to them. When you really think about it, we've all experienced this. Most people have watched someone or a video of someone getting significantly injured in a certain body part, winced, and clutched at our own equivalent body part. It's like we "feel" it too and there is even an evolutionary imperative for this. As a tribal species, it is important that we feel the pain and pleasure of others as it incentivizes helping heal them or rejoicing with them to promote social cohesion. So, in this way, VRC players are hacking the brain into experiencing, to varying degrees, the bliss of touch and affection purely through virtual simulation. After all, reality is only what we believe it to be and metaphysical phenomenon like phantom sensations and even the placebo effect prove that the mind is powerful and so are it's delusions.

I have always been a naturalist and am highly critical of those who sacrifice natural experiences for virtual one's but what is "natural" but a belief? No one in The Matrix ever pondered if Zion and the war against the machines was just another matrix itself. Surely, that line of thinking would've only lead to madness for reality itself can never actually be proven to be real. If we claim to understand this than we can't simultaneously judge VRC players for creating theirs. What is weird today is often normal tomorrow and if the illusion is convincing, then I don't honestly care whether the person I'm cuddling with is "real" or not...as long as it is real to me. That's why it seems that Cypher was right.

Comments

• edited September 2022

So, are you saying nothing is real, or real is only what you feel at the moment or what's the most Real thing that you know,or what's real doesn't matter? Cypher knew what was real and what wasn't, but chose the momentary pleasure to the painful reality. I couldn't do that. To each their own.

• @cylee1180 I'm saying real is only what you feel is real. I don't think Cypher knew what was real....he just realized that the concept of real is entirely subjective...in which case, he choose the most hedonistic reality. I also wouldn't say that the pleasure was momentary as plenty of people died in the matrix completely ignorant to the system that controlled them. If you think about it, the options are fight deadly cyberpunk war versus programs and giant squid like robots or "normal" life. Some might call it cowardice, but I'd pick the latter anyday. I mean I imagine that's why Morpheus is so vague about the truth. Many people would take the blue pill if they knew.

• @DaringSprinter It is fascinating, isn't it? I feel like a good story leaves room for vast interpretation. While I do have some issues with some facets of the trans ideology, it is interesting to learn that the theme of self actualization or self isolation within a world that vilified the concept of one's true nature was the original intent.

• @slowblink: An ideology is a system of ideas and ideals—the singular idea "I'm not what everyone says I am" doesn't fit that definition.

Maybe you meant 'discourse'. There's a lot of talking from a lot of people trying to figure all this trans stuff out, and I suspect everyone has some issues with one facet or another of the explanations that seem to be coalescing!

But yes—art. Good art is art that speaks to just about everyone on some level, isn't it?

Though there's a fine line between that and leaving everything up to the viewer: at a certain point it's tough to tell the difference between art and junk someone's left by the sidewalk.

• I'm kinda horrified but also legit want to see Jack skellington grinding on a stripper pole

• @DaringSprinter Yes, the ideology and the theme of the movie are two different things but this particular theme is the prerequisite for the ideology and people could assume respect for one is respect for the other which is not necessarily the case.

Yes, that fine line is what good writers are always trying to tow; too much mystery and the art means nothing and stands for nothing. Too little mystery, and you stifle interpretation while alienating your audience for the sake of connecting strongly to the minority.

• @biancalovecraft NGL most of the user's avatars are anime girls which is a whole nother dissertation lol. But yes, Jack twerking his bone booty would be hilarious.

• Was there a thread where people were criticizing VR cuddles or something? I'm confused.

• So what is “real” is determined by what you feel?

• edited September 2022

someone took an epistemology into my brain vat

• edited September 2022

@zerocantaloupe Nope. Just thoughts poured into the digital ether.

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

I don't know, I definitely don't agree with his choice of facial hair, but then maybe I'm not one to speak on that topic.

• @Babichev what you feel is real, yes. After all, dreams are real until they're over and we suddenly ponder all the clear incongruencies. So cuddling in a dream is just as good as cuddling in "real" life and discovering it was a dream doesn't invalidate the experience, right?

• @Zundar LOL yea, that combined with his baldness really emphasized the cliché malevolence of his character...it was almost a little too on the nose, ya know?

• @slowblink The Christian caricature of Satan is heavily influenced by the pagan god Pan, which is a god of nature. And so we go full circle.

• edited September 2022

I happen to think there's such a thing as objective truth. You may not believe in gravity, but you walk off a cliff...splat. or you may believe walking around naked is good and healthy...you'll get put in the slammer. You may not think the sky is blue or driving on the left side of the road is right in the US...until there's a head on collision. Just my opinion.

• @slowblink: I'm pretty sure there is no "trans ideology"—that is, no system of beliefs which one embraces to become trans.

Embrace Marxist ideology and you're a Marxist, feminist ideology and you're a feminist, but all you need to be trans is a desire to be seen as a different gender to the one you were assigned at birth. That's not an ideology, it's a state of being. The discourse is around how and why that happens, and how people who are trans should be treated.

That said, toeing the line between "meaningful to many" and "meaningful only to those who can also find meaning in a discarded soda bottle" is definitely tricky. The mystery of what the meaning is can't be too mysterious. You put it very well!

• edited September 2022

@DaringSprinter I see what you're saying. The same way a woman isn't inherently a feminist, a trans person doesn't necessarily believe certain things that could compile into an ideology to be trans. Still, there are clear tenants and notions that underpin the inertia of the trans movement which, if you want to declare yourself an ally of the movement, you must assimilate to. So one could say there is a trans ally ideology, no?

• @cylee1180
    This is going to sound annoying, but...

You may not believe in gravity, but you walk off a cliff...splat.

Unless you have a self-activating parachute, or the cliff is like 3 feet high, or (insert increasingly-ridiculous qualifying statement here)

or you may believe walking around naked is good and healthy...you'll get put in the slammer.

In some countries. If you're caught by the police.

You may not think the sky is blue

Sometimes it's black, orange, grey, etc.

or driving on the left side of the road is right in the US...until there's a head on collision.

It's fine on a closed course in the US where everyone agrees to follow left-hand rules.

But yeah, I get that there's clear causality sometimes, but it's still based on lots of qualifiers. This is why it's so hard to make repeatable scientific experiments. And these causal relationships also need to be observed in order to build the patterns to be able to put it into words, and those observations are going to go through brains that have biases.

Life's complicated, yo.

• @slowblink: Hmm. Maybe there's one coalescing. I haven't seen a consistent system of ideas and ideals which anyone could embrace to make them an ally to trans people, though—there only seems to be one idea that'll make a person an ally to every trans person out there, and it's "you should treat people how they want to be treated."

• @slowblink I mean, being pre-transformation trans is a medical condition. Is there a lupus ideology?

• edited September 2022

@cyclee1180 Objective meaning truths that are true for everybody right? Does that the mean the astronaut who believes in gravity but isn't experiencing is in a fake reality? Does that mean the exhibitionist on the nude beach isn't living in reality? ten people can look at the sky and agree its blue but the experience of the color blue is undoubtedly not the same for all of them. The fact that there is always exceptions to the rule means there is no objective truth. You could say we all breathe but have you ever breathed in your dreams? People have and that didn't mean the dream was real.

• @DaringSprinter Just to name one; you must believe a man can become a woman and vice versa. Of course, "man", "woman" and "become" all need to be defined but, assuming their traditional definitions, I'm sure you can imagine how any biologist would have quite a few things to say about this single notion.

• edited September 2022

@zerocantaloupe @slowblink Sure, there are exceptions and not everything applies in every situation , but by and large , the point is that there are laws or rules or perimeters that exist regardless of our perception or opinion of them. Which makes me believe in am objective truth: cause and effect.

Differences in consequences or perspectives can kind of be attributed to Einsteins theory of relativity vs. An alternate reality.

Buddhists and Taoists take it further and say our bodies, our time on Earth is just an illusion and that this is a temporary stopping point on our karmic journey towards enlightenment (birth, death, rebirth).

That our lives are just a dream and we wake up when we die, or are enlightened and can see all the truth and end suffering.

• Questioning what is real is definitely a healthy mindset, just as accepting what is real or truth is also an equally healthy mindset imo.

• @zerocantaloupe pretty sure it was removed from the DSM as a disorder which begs the question of how surgeries relating to it are covered by insurance outside of being elective. I'm not sure about all that but I see where you're going. An ideologie can spring up around anything...including medical conditions. I mean being obese is a medical condition and body positivity is a movement that is very lenient on obesity. Of course, obesity itself is only defined by one's BMI as determined by their doctor but you get what I mean.

• @slowblink This boils down to sex vs gender.

• @slowblink: But the astronaut is experiencing gravity! Wherever you go in the universe, mass will attract mass at varying strengths depending on distance and, well, mass. That's gravity!

And if the exhibitionist is avoiding areas where he'll get arrested in favor of he won't, doesn't that show an awareness of reality?

And isn't the sky whatever it is no matter who is looking at it or what color (or shade of color) they'd call it?

The exception tests the rule, but in these cases it just shows the supposed rule was conceptualized poorly. Cypher chose to live out his life in a tank, never moving his real, physical body. He decided fantasy was preferable—but if something happened to that tank, if something fell on it and crushed his real body, his physical brain, where would he be?

Responding to the comment that was actually directed at me: no, you don't need to believe anything other than "you should treat people how they want to be treated" to be a trans ally.

You can misunderstand and be confused and think it's silly all you like—so long as you treat trans folks the way they want to be treated and stand up to people who don't, you're an ally.

• @cylee1180 Agreed. Whatever feels real is real is IMO despite the fact that the observable known universe could very well be a physical manifestation of a thought inside a giant turtles brain swimming through the ethereal plane.