Question about times out

What does it mean if someone is temporarily timed out?

Comments

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

They misbehaved on the forum and temporarily can't participate in forum discussions.

• Does a forum timeout also prevent people from seeing the person's profile/sending them messages? I don't remember that being the case four or five years ago, but things do change, so....

• @Moxytocin - Let me correct that. It actually means that one of the moderators decided that misbehaved on the forum and temporarily can't participate in forum discussions. They're allowed to appeal, but I've seen no indication that anybody acrually reads the appeals.

edited September 2022

@GreatHornedOwl I've been let back in after an appeal but then went right back to mouthing off again and got time out again. That was a looong maybe not so long time ago. 😇

@DaringSprinter I didn't think a timeout had anything to do with profile viewing or messaging. 🤔 Not sure though.

• There is a message that sometimes shows when trying to view a profile that says something about being timed out. I think it’s people that you may have corresponded with before. I don’t know why a forum time out would affect the profile, but maybe.

• @Moxytocin: I'm pretty sure there used to be a couple different levels of timeout. Forum timeouts just kept a person from posting in the forums—profile timeouts took their whole profile offline. When I made fun of the idea that non-platonic = platonic, my whole profile went away (even I couldn't see it).

@DaringSprinter Ohhh dang. That's next level moderating. I was not aware.

• Hi it was someone who is never in the forum

• @Moxytocin: Well, to be fair, I had my Fake Serious hat on (if you weren't paying attention I guess I can see how the mockery might've looked like sincerity), and for all I know that level one forum timeout isn't possible anymore.

edited September 2022

@supadupa according to another thread if it's a pro it could be a warning to her about circumventing booking on-site, giving outside contact info, or possibly needs to update her credit card on her account.

• edited September 2022

@supadupa
    A person can get a timeout either by something done in the forums or on the main site. An account is suspended if someone is attempting to charge without having applied to be a Pro until they do so, there is a serious question of their age or validity of who they are claiming to be which requires an ID check, or if they have repeatedly broken site rules that hasn't yet warranted a ban.
    And yes, you can get a timeout from just the forums, just the main site, or both. Depending on what the issue is, outside of an untagged Pro or an ID check, a timeout can range from 3 days to 30.

• Thanks everyone!