What's your favorite vehicle and why

[Deleted User]sharedwarmth (deleted user)

I usually buy practical cars and trucks. Do you prefer buying practical vehicles? If you weren't being practical or don't care about practicality, what would you buy?

Comments

• I like to use cars for recreation purposes - I drive for fun, and not just function. Perhaps there are less polluting ways to have fun, but it is what it is.

As such, I like sporty, nimble cars. A big plus if they sound good too. Some are more practical than others. I’ve owned both types. If you’re okay with and fully understand working around the impracticality of sports cars, it’s the way to go. If not the practical car will be the better buy.

• Porsche 911 - easy peasy.
    (IF I had the money too)

• BMW 4-Series. Handles like a dream!

• [Deleted User]sharedwarmth (deleted user)

A sports car sounds fun, but... Porsche's look nice, but have never driven one. I've driven some BMW's, they are nice. What about the maintenance?

• Lamborghinis are sick. 💋

~ Sunset Snuggles

• Fav? The ones that are paid off ! 🤣

• I have owned 4 2nd gen camaros, but honestly any classic muscle car built from early 60's to about 1981 would be my dream.

• In the last six years, I've had two vehicles that I really enjoyed. One was a little Mazda Miata, convertible sports car. The other is big Chevy Silverado, 2500HD 3/4 ton diesel, with crew cab and 8' bed.

Those may seem like an odd combination, but there is a reason to my madness. The Miata was a really fun car to drive. It had nice acceleration, and was fantastically nimble. The turbo charged diesel engine actually gives the Silverado nice acceleration, but the handling is anything but nimble. What makes it fun, is that it tows my 27' 5th wheel all over the country.

• Trains are my favourite

• I like bicycles.

They're simple enough you can take them all the way apart, clean 'em, and put 'em back together again—which scratches the part of my brain that misses watchmaking, despite being much larger and easier to wrap your brain around.

There's something about a simple, medium-sized machine that just makes me happy. Plus bikes are cheap, and I like the burn in my thighs and wind in my face when I ride them.

Practical and fun!

• [Deleted User]QueensCurryPuff (deleted user)

The train. It’s more expensive than any of your rides 🤣🤣🤣

• My dream car since I was little was always a convertible. I still would love one but I'm also outdoorsy and would love an off road car I can strap my kayak to!

• @DaringSprinter There was a day, before computers, when you could do that with a car. I did a complete engine rebuild on my first car.

• Alright, so I’ve gotta say Honda CRV!! Big enough to haul stuff, cuddle in, camp 🏕 with.. has all wheel drive and good clearance and awesome safety features but also maneuvers well, and gets ~27 miles per gallon. I was without mine for 6 weeks because some punk shot it 3 times and it needed repairs: so glad it’s now home.

Of course, if I lived right in a city, I would say a Honda Fit or some other company 👍🏻.

• [Deleted User]CrouchingAUTigr (deleted user)

If I could buy an impractical vehicle, it would be a really slow, delightfully classy, truly vintage type car. I couldn't tell you a specific make/model as I haven't pondered it enough. But that is the direction I would take since older cars make my head turn more often than any of the newer cars.

@GreatHornedOwl That's so awesome! If you can restore something and make it functional again, I have great respect for you. Perhaps you would give me car building lessons. And when the time comes, I could restore Josie (yes, I have named my car) to v2.0. Then she will truly be forever (my car slogan is "Josie forever").

• A Lotus or Acura CRX

Or a fancy BMW. They handle so well.

• [Deleted User]Btown (deleted user)

I enjoy my kayak a lot. It takes me away from the mainstream.

• @Btown Go with the flow!

• [Deleted User]sharedwarmth (deleted user)

This is good. We have ranged from pickup trucks to sedans to sports cars (topped of with the iconic Lamborghini), from paid for to environmentally friendly to luxury, and old to new. Got a few unexpected entry's like trains, bicycles and kayaks. I noticed that a couple convertibles were mentioned, are there any other features you favor? What about color?

• 🐵❤️⛵️!

• @05vita21lov21 - The car that I rebuilt was was a Jaguar, 3.4 Liter Sedan. It was relatively easy. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a a car built within the last 50 years or so, on which neither I, nor anybody else, would even consider attempting that same job, without some mighty expensive computerized diagnostic equipment.

• edited September 2022

I just test drove a 2021 Miata Club and it was a ton of fun. I used to own a 1999 Mazda Miata and that was also extremely fun. Go- cart like convertible. Despite not being fast, acceleration is dramatic, the car goes where you want it, high-ish revving 4 cylinder with a pretty flat torque curve. Very responsive.

Another fun car I drove was the 2019 GT350 - it has a glorious engine! 5.2 liter V8 that was a mix of flat plane and cross plane characteristics that revved up to 8200 rpm. My word. The best Mustang and probably the best modern car I’ve ever driven. Handles very nice as well.

@PlushandPerfect Sounds like a Jeep Wrangler with yhe removable top and doors might be the option for you!

• @GreatHornedOwl: Technology just keeps on advancing... and the average person's interest in being able to service it keeps falling.

My dad bought a build-your-own-motor kit when I was in my early twenties and tried to get my younger brothers interested—not a one of them cared to learn, from the 15-year-old to the 11-year-old.

Could be they had the right of it; for all I know engine service might be a specialty profession these days.

• [Deleted User]LUVS2CUDDLEWITH (deleted user)

MY Slingshot!!!!

• @LUVS2CUDDLEWITH looks fun!

@DaringSprinter @GreatHornedOwl one plus is that atleast newer cars seem to be quite a bit more reliable than older ones, with maybe some exceptions. Most modern cars can make it to 150k miles without needing any major repairs. Of course modern cars would probably be even more reliable if they made them without all the extra things to break. But big numbers make sales.

And sadly not many US cities are bike friendly.

• @sunnysideup: Fargo isn't friendly to nearly any vehicle.

Sometimes I miss Grand Junction.

Anyhow, I agree that newer cars tend to be better in many ways. Safer for sure. Crumple zones alone are a great improvement!

• [Deleted User]CrouchingAUTigr (deleted user)

@GreatHornedOwl That is quite remarkable. I can see how modern cars would be harder to work on without specialized diagnostic equipment. I am only acquainted with one other person that rebuilds cars and I've only known him to work on older cars as well.

Today's cars are extremely technologically integrated and also easy targets for hackers. It is probably for this very reason that I dislike modern cars.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

• Hard to pick a favorite. Sporty & full of tech is what I like. Even "average" cars I would have said no to a few years ago have become really nice.

• My dream car 😍