🌙💤Story Time & Bookworms📖🐛

Hi everyone!
Im curious...
What was your favourite bedtime story as a kid?
What do like reading now?
Do you enjoy audio books?

I used to read so much as kid/teen but now as an adult I just dont take the time for it. Im thinking audio book might be a good option since I can listen whenever and multitask and do something else at same time!😅 I also love reading bedtime stories for my children! 🤍

Found this one on youtube about hugs and consent, so so so cute! Seems like there is a few different version of it out there.

Comments

• Where the Wild Things Are and Velveteen Rabbit stand out as ones I remember enjoying. Also Silver Bullet holds a special place because it is the first book I ever checked out from library that was more adult oriented and horror /suspense based. I was hooked on scary stuff from then on.

• I liked Jael. And Samson was pretty good, and I loved the story of David and Jonathan, especially the part when they had to separate because Jonathan's dad wanted to kill David. It didn't make sense, but it was really touching.

Dad always wanted to read Esther, so I heard that one a lot, but it was far from my favorite.

I still read fantasy. Science fiction too, and horror, mystery, all that—but my favorite genre will probably always be fantasy. I like authors like Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Diane Duane....

Can't do audio books, though. I lose track of the sentence before the speaker's reached the end of it every time!

...I do not recommend the bedtime stories of my childhood for children.

• Goodnight Moon

• I read a lot of history as a kid. Now I read mostly mysteries and I write for children.

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

I can't really remember favorite books as a really young child but once a really started reading on my own, I enjoyed Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries and had a huge collection of them. Then at some point I started reading my mom's V.C. Andrews and my dad's Stephen King. I've enjoyed anything from Jodi Piccoult to Anne Rice.

Probably my favorite book in recent times was The Time Traveler's Wife. I just finished The Girl On the Train. And I'm really addicted to collecting self-help books (more than reading them). I don't really listen to audio books but I listen to a variety of podcasts and speakers (like Ted Talks and motivational people) on YouTube.

• @Moxytocin - HUGE Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys fan here. I'd get 1-3 books from the library each week. Then came Jack London's Call of the Wild. I'd already read the Hobbit and LOTR series by my teenage years, but it was Terry Brook's Shannara series that cemented my path into sci-fi/fantasy. Other notable favorites from yesteryear:

Young Adult reading:

• Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle
    • Riddlemaster of Hed, by Patricia McKillip (first of the Riddlemaster series)
    • Prydain Chronicles, by Lloyd Alexander
    • Witch World series, by Andre Norton
    • A Wizard of Earthsea - by Ursula K. Le Guin
    • His Dark Materials series - by Philip Pullman

Adult reading:

• The Far Pavilions, by M. M. Kaye
    • Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    • The Talisman, by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Don't bother with the sequel, but if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.
    • The Shadow of the Torturer, by Gene Wolfe
    • Coldfire Trilogy, by C. S. Friedman
    • Fionavar Tapestry series, by Guy Gavriel Kay

Enjoy.

• @Sideon: I will enjoy. Witch World and the Coldfire Trilogy? The Prydain Chronicles and His Dark Materials and The Mists of Avalon? It's so rare to run across someone who's read and enjoyed so many of the same books I have! I'll have to look for The Shadow of the Torturer and the Fionavar Tapestry series. What an excellent list of recommendations.

Thank you; and thank you, @RainsCuddle, for starting this thread.

• If anyone is interested in listening to an ASMR bedtime story read by yours truly, here is the link to my YouTube https://youtube.com/watch?v=9OK2gMMurTQ&t=47s :)

• What a great thread!! These are all that came to mind right away (I might add more later).

Childhood favorites (and still):
    Number 1 for sure was Humpty Dumpty's Bed Time Stories (like the others listed, I still have and absoluty love this book!!)

The Christmas Kitten ~ Ruth Carroll
    Winnie The Pooh Collection ~ A. A. Milne
    The Oz series (fave TikTok of Oz) ~ L. Frank Baum
    The Chronicles of Narnia ~ C. S. Lewis
    Behind the Attic Walls ~ Sylvia Cassedy
    Just So Stories ~ Rudyard Kipling
    Andrew Lang's Rainbow Fairy Books

As a bigger kid (to adult-ish/now):
    Zen Shorts ~ Jon J. Muth
    Micawber ~ John Lithgow
    And Tango Makes Three ~ Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell
    The End of the Beginning ~ Avi
    Apocryphal Stories ~ Karel Čapek
    "fuck, YES!" : A Guide to the Happy Acceptance of Everything ~ Wing F. Fing M.D., Ph.D., D.D.S., L.L.D., D.V.D., and much, much more!

As audio books:
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat and Other Clinical Tales ~ Oliver Sacks
    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Tell-Tale Heart ~ Poe
    And anything by David Sedaris!!

• @Sideon @Moxytocin
    The Hardy Boys were the best! I read every book in the series when I was growing up.

I just finished re-reading “The Science of Fear” and yesterday I started “The Expectation Effect”.

• edited September 2022

I am surprised that The Bobbsey Twins series was not mentioned, but then again, my granddad was born in 1896 and grew up reading those and left them to my mom.

• The Very Hungry Caterpillar and others by Eric Carle are the best bed time stories.
    In middle school I loved reading "Where The Red Fern Grows" and "The Kite Runner". If you want to warm your ice cold heart, or just cry non-stop those are good ones. Now "The Kite Runner" is on broadway! 😭😭

• @RainsCuddle those who know me best know that I have a collection of just about anything. When my kids were little the routine was to read to them till they fell asleep 💤 There are so many books still here at home
    and I hope to give them or read them now to my grandkids…

• The Anarchist Cookbook.

• @OhioMike quantum physics for babies?? Very interesting.