Huberfans - Your Top Tips?

Every Monday I have sincere intentions to listen to the new edition of the weekly Huberman podcast. Every week time somehow escapes me and another round of useful information floats off into the ether (technically it’s still there on YouTube)

There are at least a couple of Huberman listeners on the forum, so I was hoping to do a little crowd sourcing and ask you all to post some of your favourite, actionable Huberman tips for the benefit of the community

One of the earliest tips is still a favourite. Short sharp breath in, followed by a second shorter sharp breath in before releasing the first breath and finally a long slow breath out through the mouth. Keep cycling around this sequence until you feel nicely relaxed. Apparently this is one of the fastest, most consistent and repeatable ways to activate the parasympathetic nervous system after a stressful event. I use it all the time whether I am experiencing stress or not.

The episode with Justin Sonnenburg sticks in my mind. Essentially covering his study comparing eating high a prebiotic food diet vs. high probiotic food diet (6 servings a day of Kefirs, Kimchi, Krauts, Kombuchas etc). To his surprise, the latter group had the biggest improvement in biome diversity, which he used as a key marker of overall gut health. His next step will be to run a study with a group eat both pre and probiotic foods. Key takeaway for now is to stock up on the live fermented foods as long as you tolerate them.

Comments

• edited September 2022

The breathing method you're talking about is really the only thing I picked up and still use from the days when I was a fan. For those who prefer a demonstration to a text description, embedded below is one from Dr. Huberman himself, along with an explanation.

I do this often when I'm stressing out, but I'm never sure it's working. This is how a lot of his recommendations regarding both practices and supplements affected me, and why I'm no longer a regular listener

• Saw the thread title and thought, "What's a huber?" ... 🤦‍♀️

Yah, I'll see myself out now. Thanks.

• @PlantDaddyPHL Thanks for the link, lot more info than the short version I had previously watched. Interesting what he says about the technique taking some time to fully kick in and the effect intensifying the more you practice over time. Personally experience a light tingling in feet and hands which I understand to be blood flow returning to these areas as the calmer state kicks in. I found that to be a tangible signal of a physiological effect and hence worth the sustained effort. I wouldn’t try supplements but I would try all of the activities related to sleep, light exposure, physical activity, mental exercises etc. Thanks for your thoughts on that