Quitting smoking before I cuddle again.

So for a multitude of reasons I’ve been working on trying to quit smoking. I’ve had 2 different long term pro cuddles that I met through this site and both expressed at one time or another their dislike of me smelling like cigarettes for our sessions. This is one of the reasons I haven’t cuddled in over 6 months but I’m finding the added stress of quitting combined with the missing stress relief I got from cuddling is making it much harder then I expected.

I currently have a quit coach from my jobs health plan but I’m finding their suggestions lacking. Is there anyone here who has successfully quit smoking after being a longtime smoker who has any suggestions? I’ve been smoking for roughly 20 years and am currently at 2 packs a day but have been at as many as 4 packs a day in the last year.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]SnuggleSuz (deleted user)

I'm proud of you for putting in the effort needed to quit. I haven't ever smoked cigarettes, but I have had many friends who were long term smokers quit by microdosing psilocybin mushrooms.

• I have not smoked, but I am proud that your taking the first steps. I hope that you are successful!

• I was a long term smoker for about 50 years. I quit many times, but had trouble staying quit. I tried the nicotine patch, and found it to be totally ineffective. Teen, I tried the nicotine gum. BINGO. I haven't had a smoke since. I've been smoke free for 15 years.

I think that two features of the gum that resemble smoking were what did it. I would pop a piece of gum when I felt a need, instead of on some schedule. As with smoking, I was putting something into my mouth. During the time that I was using the gum, I felt no need to smoke. I was still getting my nicotine dose, and that's what I was addicted to.

One word of caution. It took me 3-1/2 years to get off eo the gum. For a while, it seemed as if I had just substituted one addiction for another.

• Cinnamon mouth wash or cinnamon gummy bears. Grapefruit juice. York peppermint Patties. Each of these are about countering the taste/tolerance for the cgaretres. Believe me. They don’t mix. Lol. The idea is to flush your system, first, of the product. That’s 15-30 days. Then, it’s about the instinct. Find a snack or a fidget tool that can replace your instinct / need to reach for something. Meditation & replacement therapy can help as well to identify & tackle where the needs come from & what could handle that need in a better way.

• Good for you. You will end up saving hundreds of dollars and be able to breathe better, smell better, have better sense of taste, and have lower blood pressure. Good luck in your journey

• what if, instead of making it one big daunting commitment, you endeavor to not smoke 24 hours before your session? inhale the cuddle :) your partner will appreciate it, probably offer encouragement, and you can get some support and stress relief that will maybe help your brain and body make positive associations

• Short term quitting if even for just an hour at a time and then build on that gradually ever increasing time.Know why you are quitting which can be unique for each individual.I remember sometimes just quitting for a day and then falling into the habit again.I was a long time heavy smoker for 30 years.Enough tries and now I haven't had a smoke in over 5 years.

• @biancalovecraft & @Alan2018 Short term quitting is easy. I must have done it al least 20 times. Staying quit isn't easy.

I once threw (the contents) of a pack of cigarettes over the edge of the Grand Canyon, and then departed on a week long raft trip through the Canyon. I knew all of the people in the raft, and none of them smoked. I couldn't smoke foe a week, if I want to, and believe me, I wanted to.

Within two days of being back in civilization, I was smoking again. By contrast, within one day of starting on the gum, I no longer felt any urge to smoke. I wasn't actually addicted to smoking. I was addicted to nicotine. My body didn't care if the nicotine delivery devise was a cigarette or a piece of gum.

• Have you tried virtual cuddling? You can cuddle with cuddlers now with the Pro Cuddle Pillow. The virtual cuddler puts on a full body suit, you cuddle the pillow and its almost as if shes there with you. Dont forget to subscribe to her only fans for 200/month!

• A few suggestions:

1) There are some great recent books on breaking habits: "The Power of Habit," and "Atomic Habits." The second one, in particular, seems to be very popular.

2) Smoke a cigarette less every day until you're down to zero.

3) Don't hang around other people who smoke, or go to places where there's smoke. Make it as inconvenient for yourself as possible to buy cigarettes. A lot of habit-changing is about avoidance. If I buy ice cream, I know I'll eat the whole thing in a couple of days, so I don't buy ice cream.

• I agree with @FitSmartCuddler … if you’re around other people smoking , you’re more likely to give in & smoke , if you love having a smoke after drinking a few beers, ect , you’re more likely to give in and smoke , and lastly … having easy access (meaning having a pack readily available) or a place where you love to get it, you will be likely to buy and smoke … if possible, Remove all 3 scenarios for 3 weeks … all the best 🙏🏻

• edited October 2022

I think quitting long-term is a great goal for your health and well-being! But along the lines of what @biancalovecraft said, I don't think it's necessary to quit completely in order to be more considerate towards your pro cuddlers. Instead, consider it as part of having good hygiene before a session. You want to make sure that once you're showered, wearing clean clothes, and have your teeth brushed, you don't smoke until after the session.

• You could try transitioning with using nicotine gum (as mentioned) and vaping (controversial, but I'm not sure it's worse than smoking). Those at least get rid of the smell. Then you can work on cutting down on nicotine overall for your health.

• Another technique to help quitting is saying to yourself I'm just quitting for a short time so I don't have to worry about actually quitting.Extend the time but don't feed the mind about how difficult it is to quit because its only for a short time.You naturally will go beyond days into weeks into months into years.You're playing a trick on the mind and your body will love you for it.

• I feel you, it's hard! The only thing that really made me stop was finding out I was having a baby ~ Guess that won't work for everyone! Ha

• @NQIGCyan you could try some acupuncture. The auricular acupuncture has been used for years to help people quit their choice of substance. acudetox.com/programs/

• Wow! Kudos to you @NQIGCyan I can relate to trying to eradicate things that are enjoyable but aren't in your best interests. The only thing I keep telling myself is that I am the one that is worth doing it for. It never stuck when I was quitting something for an external source.

YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!! (ps I sent you a message. 😊)

• Keep working at it. It’s so hard!! Find something to fill that time. So many great suggestions here as well. Also lots of water to flush the toxins helps tremendously!!

• Congrats I know it's hard. I quit smoking when I was 21 and had migraines , diarrhea , and the shakes . I had been smoking since I was 11. My mom got tired of me shoplifting them so eventually started buying them for me lol. Very bad habit and hard to stop. I truly do empathize with you

• Not trying to be trite, but this seems like a good tool to have in your toolbox. Maybe not the sole solution but can be used in conjunction with other methods:

https://cbqmethod.com/10-quit-smoking-quotes-that-helped-me-quit/

• Yes. I was a smoker from 2011 - 2017. I typically averaged 3-4 sticks a day. I quit because my insurance premium went from $160/month (on topof my medical insurance) to nearly $500. I literally went cold turkey but still had to go through a quitting coach to affirm the fact that I indeed quit. I'd recommend you get rid of any packs and lighters you have na dbe intentional about quitting while going through the process with the coach. I notice a significant change in my breathing pattern ever since. Goodluck!

• +1 to the early comment of microdosing

Here's a video if you're interested; I really like the presenter.

Also, 12 step programs are absolutely amazing.

Please reach out if you wanna talk.

• What works is whatever makes you successful in meeting your goals. Just keep trying even when you fail repeatedly because you just never know what will eventually work for you.