Career thoughts

Hello, I don't know if this is allowed for me to post or talk about, but if not, I apologize and will comply with removing it. I've been debating about talking about this for a while on here.
So to start... last year I finished a Computer Science Bachelor's Degree. I have been working at my family's accounting business for a long time now which has nothing to do with anything I learned while obtaining that degree, nor does accounting or the related office work fulfill or interest me. Income tax season and accounts payable aren't very interesting to me. I am thankful that I've been able to have a job thanks to family, but I really would like to do something different.

This is the reason I went back to school to finish a degree. Well it certainly wasn't easy at all, but I got through it. Unfortunately due to life circumstances, I was unable to do any internships while I was in school (I still had my full time job and couldn't lower my hours for an internship since I things to pay). Since I graduated last year I have been job searching applying over and over to various places in hopes of using this degree and growing my skills and experience. It has been discouraging and disheartening to say the least. So many "entry level" software development related positions somehow require all this specific experience that I don't possibly have, or have difficult assessments to pass. Sometimes after all is said and done, they might send an email saying something along the lines of "while we were impressed with your skills, we have decided to move forward with someone else." It would be a dream to work for one of the big companies such as google or amazon even if just for a short while to learn and absorb all that I can before moving on to something else, however my hope would be that it would be fulfilling enough to stay for a long time. I know there are certain consulting companies such as Revature that advertise job listings all over the place with no experience required. But as the saying goes if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. I have heard horror stories all over the place from companies like this, from forcing you to relocate (sometimes multiple times) with very little or no relocation assistance, to being paid minimum wage while waiting for a client, to treating employees poorly, and being locked into a 2 year contract. Of course there will be some with positive experiences, but this is what has kept me from applying to those specific types of companies. I have applied many other places, from google, to amazon, to various banks, and just anything that I could find that I might be qualified for and isn't one of these consultant companies. I have told myself that I need to have a new job by the end of the year, as I really don't want to go through yet another income tax season. Well it is now November and still despite this, nothing has changed. I just applied to 3 jobs today and am hoping for the best. I try not to let it get to me, but I am feeling a bit anxious, stressed, and saddened by this.

Also I can feel a sense of desperation, which is pushing me to start applying to those less than desirable places just to change something and get my foot in the door of software development.

I do have a linkedin and several accounts on apps for job listings. The majority of people who do try to recruit me seem to ignore the part about what kind of job I'm looking for and ignore my recent education, but instead base it off my current work experience, hence I get offers for accounting or financial positions which I am not interested in (I would just stay here if that were the case), or offers for things like being a salesperson or something else way off.

I hate to bother anyone with my problems, but I figured I might as well give it a shot. If there is anyone that knows someone willing to hire an entry-level software developer, or other roles that my computer science degree would qualify me for and will give me a chance to learn, be trained, and do my very best to be a great hard-working employee, please let me know.

Any other thoughts or advice are appreciated as well. Thank you.

Comments

• With a great amount of luck maybe I'll find a job that pays 100k or more a year, I perform well and maintain that job, and then can definitely be able to afford more pro cuddling sessions.

• edited November 2022

You'll probably have more luck if you look to a forum dedicated to CS careers. One option is reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions .

While the job market for software engineers has been extremely hot in recent years, there's always been a hesitation around hiring entry level engineers with no track record. Also the tech industry is in a downturn right now and hiring has slowed quite a bit. There is very little chance you'll get hired at a company like Google or Amazon right now.

I have 3 suggestions:

1. Do some independent open source projects, put them on github, and refer to this work on your resume.
    2. Try to make some contacts in the software world, maybe by participating in an existing open source community.
    3. Be open to taking any non-terrible software engineering position you can, with the intent to use it as a stepping stone into the career.
  • I really enjoyed reading this post! Thank you for sharing with us & putting yourself out there! 1st I want to say don’t feel feel unlucky like this is happening to you and you only , I forgot what the numbers were, but most people end up working in a career completely different to what they went to school for, their degree , secondly I’ve learned that connections is 85 to 90% of the process … you shared with us that you were unable to do internships and all, so I’m really hoping you made some friends from school who are currently now in the field you’re seeking to get into, this would work wonders if you had a really good rapport with several classmates and you happen to leave an impression, I have a cousin whose In the civil engineering and telecommunications field, he’s really moved up in the industry and 2 of his last best opportunities were by way of 2 different classmates at 2 different times (this is extremely valuable) … I also want to say that your degree , what you majored in is extremely valuable in the blockchain / web 3 space … I highly recommend you do job searches that include the words “blockchain / defi / web 3 / payments ect … I hope I was able to help even if just to share some feedback, im rooting for you and hope you get exactly what it is you’re looking for 🙏🏻 🌌

• @CuddleWho … just curious, are you a dev / coder? If so that’s really cool!

• @CuddleWho and @cuddles_ndream Thank you both for the advice and kind words. I reached out on LinkedIn and someone reposted it, and a former classmate (who has the same first name as me - first and only time I've been in class with someone with the same name) messaged me about an opportunity where he works. So hopefully something will come of it.

• 🙌🏼 congrats & best of luck with the opportunity!

• edited November 2022

I've never worked for a very large company, so I can't speak from first hand experience, but I've one friend a Google who loves it and one at Amazon who hates it. It all depends on the group you end up in and who you work with.

I agree with you about the consulting jobs - those companies are basically middle men looking to hire you out to clients. They might be a good way to start out and get experience with a few technologies, but often times what clients want outsourced is the stuff which must get done but isn't among the key ingredients in their secret sauce.

My best advice is - keep learning and keep acquiring new skills. When I was laid off and in between jobs, I invested in purchasing access to CBTNuggets, Safari Books, and Interview Cake. The first two to learn IT specific tech, the last to hone my technical interview skills. This was some time ago, so there may be much better options now.
    You might also consider joining either ACM or IEEE, they have discounted memberships for unemployed and you can get access to a good digital library of books & papers that way.