Daylight Saving time change 2022

Comments

• @stormydaycuddle absolutely! I almost did too. 🙂

• @Tranquilescape Awesome!🤩Love it!❤️ ⏰

• Ugh. I'm so done with this clock-changing nonsense. It does nothing to time or the planet's rotation, doesn't alter how much sun there is at all—the only thing it does is throw off my internal clock and make me grumpy.

I'd be pleased to get shot of it.

• @DaringSprinter I completely agree. We should have a national petition to end it 💯 %.

• We have to do it hear too. Stupid, stupid idea.

• I believe it was originally done to give farmers more "Daylight" hours to work with. But it seems odd that we all have to go along with it now.

• @stormydaycuddle: It wasn't—farmers actually hated it, the stupid thing made it harder for them to get their work done and goods to town on time—it was a fuel saving measure, a war thing. [source]

@Tranquilescape: I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat!

• @DaringSprinter you are speaking my language lol I hate when my internal clock is thrown off

• Good chance that next fall the nonsense will stop. Source

• Well doesn't Arizona not do daylight savings time? I guess there's that state to be in to avoid it.

• @xelda: My fingers are tightly crossed. Let it be so!

• [Deleted User]SnuggleSuz (deleted user)

Oh wow thats tomorrow! Thanks for Cher-ing! It always takes me until the day its happening to really realize what that means even though it happens every year. Time for longer sleeping periods in the winter orrrrr to migrate to the Southern Hemisphere!

• @CSnMUS87 There are a few places that don't change. I'm in one of them right now. It's constant mental math when relating to people outside of our time zone... yesterday I had the same time zone as my people in Manitoba; today I'm an hour ahead of them. Then there's Newfoundland, who's time difference is on the half hour.

• Thanks! But Europe did that last week.

• Thanks to cell phone and atomic clock changing on it's own I don't have to think about these things , but I did start to panic a little when I went downstairs this morning and my microwave said 8, because I had to get to work by 830🤣

• @DaringSprinter
    ditto,
    ditto,
    and ditto.

• This is everyone who has to change all of the clocks😂

• Benjamin Franklin takes the honor (or the blame, depending on your view of the time changes) for coming up with the idea to reset clocks in the summer months as a way to conserve energy, according to David Prerau, author of "Seize the Daylight(opens in new tab): The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time" (Thunder's Mouth Press, 2005). By moving clocks forward, people could take advantage of the extra evening daylight rather than wasting energy on lighting. At the time, Franklin was ambassador to Paris, and he wrote a witty letter to the Journal of Paris in 1784, rejoicing over his "discovery" that the sun provides light as soon as it rises.

Even so, DST didn't officially begin until more than a century later. Germany established DST in May 1916, as a way to conserve fuel during World War I. The rest of Europe came onboard shortly thereafter. And in 1918, the United States adopted daylight saving time.

Though President Woodrow Wilson wanted to keep daylight saving time after WWI ended, the country was mostly rural at the time and farmers objected, partly because it would mean they lost an hour of morning light. (It's a myth that DST was instituted to help farmers.) And so daylight saving time was abolished until the next war brought it back into vogue. At the start of WWII, on Feb. 9, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt re-established daylight saving time year-round, calling it "War Time."

After the war, a free-for-all system in which U.S. states and towns were given the choice of whether or not to observe DST led to chaos. And in 1966, to tame such "Wild West" mayhem, Congress enacted the Uniform Time Act. That federal law meant that any state observing DST — and they didn't have to jump on the DST bandwagon — had to follow a uniform protocol throughout the state in which daylight saving time would begin on the first Sunday of April and end on the last Sunday of October.

Then, in 2007, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 went into effect, expanding the length of daylight saving time to the present timing.

• IMO, just leave time alone!!!

• Cutting one foot off the bottom of a quilt and sewing it onto the top doesn't make it any longer . Silly daylight savings

• Long live Arizona. The rightful kingdom of savingless.

Although somehow it still always affects me more when we don't have it... Like today I ended up working 9 hours instead of 8... Because I was teleworking with people in San Diego and forgot to sleep in an extra hour.