The voice that lifts you up inside

edited November 2022 in General

Hey everyone. I’ve been absent. I don’t like it. I’d like to be inspired by you at this time.

When you’re feeling spread thin, depressed, tired, aimless and are acutely aware of a dialogue occurring in your mind that says you’re nothing but simply another cog in the machine, what from within is able to lift you up from that?

Is there a person in your life whose voice comes through telling you not to give up? Is it a pet who snuggles up with you no matter how much of a mess you are? Is it your faith (for those it applies to)? Is it an inspiring quote or piece of text you hold onto dearly? Maybe something you believe about yourself and know to be true?

Let’s try and avoid the answer “consulting with my physician/therapist”, “practicing self care”, or a physical activity that you do to avoid the feeling. These things are obvious and the go-to easy answers. I’m more interested in a prompt we can explore via this thread: what does your “motivated conscience” do to lift you up, if you have one?

I know not everyone is capable or in a place to have a “motivated conscience”. Mine doesn’t work all the time. So I’m hoping this thread is of use to others who feel the same.

Comments

• Figuring out a goal, even a small one, to focus on. Putting mind to that goal and even accomplishing some of it can be the spark to build motivation for more.
    Keep your chin up..one day at a time. Hope you find the inspiration you seek @Catloaf.

• edited November 2022

To me, it’s telling me that there’s a purpose I have yet to discover and should be doing, and so motivates me to try different things.

Here’s to us taking that dialogue and using it to guide us to our ideal life. Turn the life that could have been into a reality.

Thanks for this post @Catloaf

• edited November 2022

I know it's not the answer you're digging for, but meditation helps me. Why? Bc oftentimes the scars, false narratives, and insecurities do run amuck in our head and we don't have the power to stop them.

This part of our brain is the chatty, neurotic, and sometimes irrational part of out brain that clings to memories, cognitive ideas, abd recycles thoughts.

In meditating, you will:

• confront the root cause of these thoughts or emotions
    • by focusing on a single object of focus, your mind will be intentionally guided away from the chitchat
    • over time, the source and symptoms of the chitchat become louder and more obvious; also your mind is more clear and calm so you'll be better able to deal w that wave of emotion
    • over time, constant meditation roots out these issues to leave you more at peace and more tranquil (takes time though)

To add, it is difficult or almost impossible to shut down one part of the brain while using that some part of the brain or level of consciousness.

To quote Albert Einstein :

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.”

Good luck.

• @Catloaf, this happens to me often and the way i find peace is by telling myself, i am going to help someone in whatever shape or form that i can. That help doesnt have to only be financial but listening to them and letting them know i am there for them.

Seeing a sigh of relief on their face / voice helps my healing process.

Good luck!

• @Catloaf I have a sense of faith and a sense of presence and comfort from that. I also have read and identified with the theory of Internal Family Systems. What I take from it is there are many parts to myself, so I try and use the idea if the "different parts," say my ideal of a wise older woman or caring parent, and use the idea of the wise woman to cheerlead the part of me that is negative, anxious, depressed, or (fill in the blank here). I imagine the caring wiser part talking to the hurt part giving comfort, gentle encouragement, and validation. The combination of faith and inner parts dialogue helps me.

• edited November 2022

• I have to hack my brain with serotonin and dopamine inducing activities. Starbucks, car rides, sunlight, hot baths, dogs, cuddles, swimming, etc. I have a list of things I keep on my phone and choose from when I'm feeling not ok.

I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling this way. Sending love. 💜