Duality of the subconscious mind?

edited December 2022 in General

How do you think is it possible for a dreaming person to scare or surprise themselves in a dream if the source and observer of the dream are both taking place in the subconscious mind?

To me this indicates that their are at least two independent parts of the subconscious mind. If we count the conscious mind, we have at least three parts of the mind at this point.

What does this lead you to believe about consciousness?

If one part of the subconscious mind acts like a TV receiver and another part acts as an observer of what appears on the screen as content of a dream, there could be another deeper level of subconscious that transmits the dream. Either that or the source of the dream is outside of the mind, like the content of a TV is outside of the TV.

Comments

• edited December 2022

When we get surprised/scared in a dream, it might be a spurious electrical signal to that part of the brain, and then the brain works backward to figure out a reason.

Just a possibility.

• Theres a question I have on the TV analogy:

the tv wouldn’t act as both tv & observer. the tv is independent of the observer and is essentially a primary receiver and the observer secondary (excluding AR). Which receiver are you referring to in this case? (If you've grouped them here for easy reference, I think their separation might be crucial in figuring out your answer irrespective of source).

• @PrettyLuv
    I reworded the TV analogy slightly. I was lumping the TV receiver and observer previously to show that the content is external to both, but they can be separate and then we have three parts of subconscious mind.

• I think the mind is similar to how robot software is designed, which is generally

Sensor inputs -> Perception -> Planning -> Actuators

When we sleep, we naturally turn off the actuators (that's why sleep paralysis is a thing). I suspect we're just getting random stuff into the sensor inputs, and our mind is trying to make sense of it as best it can.

• I think in the context of the tv, it’s logical to see that the observer can definitely be surprised by what the receiver is displaying on screen. Duality exists. In as much the same way as we can be consciously surprised by a thought or idea that just suddenly “comes to us”.

In regards to sources, I think there is a free flowing exchange of information emitted and transmitted, externally & internally. subconsciously likely more active during sleep than any other time but possible to be just as active during consciousness if we’re aligned with those channels of thought while awake.

I wonder though what level of impedance, if any, WiFi transmission has on such exchanges. I do think we’re reading it all but not sure of the impact.

• edited December 2022

@PrettyLuv Brain waves are usually pretty low-frequency, like 7.5 to 12.5 Hz. WiFi runs at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (a billion times faster). If a wifi signal merged with a brain wave, it would likely appear as a little bit of noise on the larger wave. Also, to extract brain waves, people usually have to make direct skin-to-electrode contact, even for the waves that should theoretically travel through the body easier (low frequency is easier to penetrate through mass). Not saying it's not possible, but I'd be very surprised.