What instrument(s) do you play?

Hello cuddlers!!!!

It's been awhile that I have posted a forum and just recently bought an acoustic guitar this week. What advice do you have for beginners and what beginner song should I start with to get familiar playing the guitar? Fun fact about me, I used to play a little bit of piano a few years ago. What instrument(s) do you play?

1. Which Instrument do you play?38 votes
    1. Drums
        7.89%
    2. Guitar
      26.32%
    3. Piano
      21.05%
    4. Violin
        5.26%
    5. Saxophone
        2.63%
    6. Flute
        7.89%
    7. Ukuele
        0.00%
    8. Harp
        0.00%
    9. Other (Please comment below any other instruments not listed here that you play)
      28.95%

Comments

• That’s really cool! In junior high I played the trombone in the 7th grade and never touched an instrument since … always been intrigued with with guitar 🎸 & saxophone 🎷! Great choice 🌌

• I dabble on the Ocarina

• I play guitar and sing. I used to play trumpet when I was younger and took some piano and bass lessons a few years ago.
    Advice I have is just have fun learning, be patient with progress, consistent daily practice is key if possible (I'm sure you know this from piano). Better to do 20 to 30 minutes of daily practice than several hours just once a week. However in time, you'll probably end up practicing longer more often when you get into it. Make sure to stretch your hands, fingers, arms, back after playing so you don't get stiff or pain.
    Some recommended beginner songs:

Some free resources:
    https://www.guitarlessons.com/guitar-lessons
    https://www.justinguitar.com/

If interested in buying lessons to learn at your own pace (and include some songs):

Hope you have a great guitar journey. :)

• @cuddles_ndream Very cool that you played the trombone back in junior high. Was it hard to play it? @munkg cool that you play the orcarina and I've noticed in the picture that it is the symbol of legend of zelda the video game? @tacolibre Very cool that you play the guitar. I always wanted to play that as a kid and had a guitar, but never learned how to play it. I will definitely take advantage learning how to play and how long did it take for you to learn how to play it? @CSnMUS87 That is so extremely informative and will definitely take time to look into all these links. I definitely had to be very patient to at least learn to play beginner music on the piano and had to go through so many trial and error to learn to play it. That makes sense to play a little bit everyday to get familiar with the keys than long hours and not being consistent. You gave exccellent advice here for us beginners.

• edited December 2022

@CuddleBarista1 yes, its a 12 hole STL ocarina with a legend of zelda ocarina of time finish.
    I wish i could play string instruments 😓

• @munkg me too! I never learned how to play a string instrument and really want to learn. I saw a deal for 25 dollars for an acoustic guitar and I was like why not? Thank you for confirming that to me about the ocarina.

• Have been tinkering with stringed instruments for the past few years - guitar, bass, and now a bouzouki from my village in Greece.

(hey, I said 'tinkering' - I didn't say that I was any good B) )

• @Jubal thabk you so much for sharing! Are the keys for the string instruments like or do you have to learn differently? I'm no expert either on the piano and only knew a few nursery rhyme songs.

• I remember it being 3 (or 4) buttons if I remember correctly and it was pretty much repetitive … looking back now I feel like I got played 😅 I shoulda went for the Guitar or Sax … heck even the flute 🤣

• Flute, piccolo, and piano when I was much younger. I can still plunk around on piano and flute, but sold my piccolo. I also sing. Music can be so healing.

• Guitar and American Indian flute.

• @CuddleBarista1 just don't play STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN at the guitar store. For the folks who work there it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

• @TNNative Very impressive that you play multiple instruments. Which instrument is your favorite out of the 3? @CallMeMikey hahaha lol! That analogy is like for some retail workers getting annoyed of Christmas music played on loop all day non-stop. It didn't bother me at all, but to a lot of people it did. I didn't know that people in the guitar store have a pet peeve with that song lol! What song do you like to play on the guitar and Indian flute?

• An update on day 1 playing guitar: I am struggling positioning my fingers and have small hands. :'( I will give try again to practice on my chords.

• I played the French Horn in High school, until one day the band director suggested that perhaps, I might want to consider quitting. I recall was terrible.

More recently, I built a Dulcimer, and more or less, learned to play it. I soon learned that I wouldn't be much better on that. Instead, I used some miniature file to form my daughters initial out of a piece of German Silver, inlayed it into the surface of the Dulcimer, and gave it to my daughter. She's the musician in the family.

• I’m immature based on my thought of response but i can play the hell out of a lunch table.

• @CuddleBarista1 at first just practice your scales. That'll give your fingers the practice moving to the frets, which will make chords easier.

• I used to play the drums when I was in high school and had a little cover band for a few years (strategy to get myself a girlfriend); fun years!

• @CuddleBarista1 I enjoy singing most.

• I play guitar and bass guitar. Both electric. Electric guitar is easier for finger positions than acoustic guitar. The strings aren't as thick or heavy and the body and neck are less bulky. Bass is easier than guitar in that it's not as many chords. Also I find it easier to play with fingers on a bass than playing with a pic on a six string. But my main love is memorizing and singing song lyrics -- when I was younger though not anymore.

• @GreatHornedOwl sorry to hear that the band director deterred you to play the French horn and at least you didn't give up to find an alternative instrument to play. So nice that you passed on your daughter to play instruments. @BashfulLoner nothing wrong with playing the lunch table. Not everyone is on beat playing on the table and who hasn't played the lunch table when we're children?

• edited December 2022

I play guitar a bit and can play the frame drum and djembe a bit. My frame drum is my favorite and feels like such a deep part of me <3 When I was younger, I played the violin and flute. I know a little bit of keyboard because of music theory. And, I love to sing! <3 My vocal chords are probably the instrument I know how to play best :-)

• @CuddleBarista1 that was my second factual thought. My first thought was bad comedy and immaturely mannish. I also can play steering wheel assist.

• @CuddleBarista1 You can do this, just keep at it. I have the opposite problem with my hands, my fingers are a bit thick and chunky so for some time it made it hard to do certain chords that have the fingers bunched close together, while also making it sometimes hard to have the notes ring out on the last frets at the bottom of the guitar since the frets get really small there. What I was told was the key is finding a way to adjust to your hands/fingers and eventually you will be able to do it.

• @CuddleBarista1 This on guitar. On the flute I just play what I feel.

• I used to be decent with a keyboard. These days I try to play the Ukelele but my fingers don't actually bend properly to do any more than 2 chords :p

• I play Piano, Keys, Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar, Bass, drums, Irish whistle (Low/penny) , and I've courted a handful of others, lol. I absolutely love music!

• edited December 2022

A little background: my original career was music. I toured, played with some famous artists in front of thousands of people, blah blah, and eventually gave it up for a more stable career in high tech. I mainly play saxophone and flute and also double on guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums.

How you approach it depends on your goals. Do you want to keep getting better, challenging yourself, improving your technique, playing harder and harder pieces? Hate to say it, but this path isn't exactly "fun." You improve by constantly pushing your limits, which means stumbling and struggling. Then, just when you start feeling comfortable, you push it up a notch which means more struggling. That's how you keep improving. The "fun" part comes with the satisfaction of knowing what you've accomplished.

On the other hand, if you just want to learn some basic rock/pop/folk songs for personal enjoyment or to get together with friends and have a fun social time--that's very achievable. Most songs in those styles only involve a few chords which can be easily learned. You could reach that skill level in less than a year and then just coast on that indefinitely.

I love to play jazz, which is extremely difficult to do well at a high level, but I like the challenge. It's both a blessing and a curse. :-)