“Why the healing journey feels so lonely” by Dr. Nicole LePera

The following is the first couple of tweets in a long tweet thread by Dr. Nicole LePera. I started to post this in the “What happened to accountability” thread but I decided to make it its own topic instead as it is broader than just accountability.

“Here's why the healing journey feels so lonely and why it's worth it, anyway:

We live in a highly dysfunctional culture that focuses on productivity over: self awareness, emotional intelligence, and relational education. Not surprisingly, when people don't know themselves or understand their emotions, they're disempowered.

They don't know healthy ways to get their needs met. This results in all sorts of dysfunctional behavior like:

• manipulation
  • controlling behavior
  • lack of communication skills
  • addiction (attempt to self soothe)
  • anger and rage cycles
  • lack of boundaries
  • inability to honor other people's boundaries

Many of these behaviors are deemed "normal" in our society because they're so common.

Note: just because something is common doesn't mean the behavior is normal or healthy.

Some people, begin to wake up, or to become consciously aware of these dysfunctional patterns and expectations.

Waking up means that we’re able to see the dysfunctional patterns first within ourselves. Usually, this is because we hint an emotional rock bottom. Or we face a crisis and our suffering becomes so intense and so deep, we're forced to face it.“

The Tweet thread continues for a couple more paragraphs, here is the link if anyone is interested in reading the rest of it. I believe it is well worth the read.

Comments