The lack of gentle platonic touch in men’s lives

I’ve come across various discussions in the forums about the lack of platonic touch in men’s lives and how it is affecting not only men, but also the people around them and American society (and probably other societies) at large.

Here is an article that is choke full of illustrations, examples, hypothesis I think you might find interesting. It appears that apart from the gentle platonic touch between men and romantic partners or fathers and their very young children, most men experience touch isolation which is detrimental to their wellbeing. It might also make you more sympathetic towards yourself and the men around you.

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/megasahd-the-lack-of-gentle-platonic-touch-in-mens-lives-is-a-killer/

Here is are excerpts (read article to get context):

_“In American culture, we believe that men can never be entirely trusted in the realm of the physical. We collectively suspect that, given the opportunity, men will collapse into the sexual at a moment’s notice. That men don’t know how to physically connect otherwise. That men can’t control themselves. That men are dogs…

And where does this leave men? Physically and emotionally isolated. Cut off from the deeply human physical contact that is proven to reduce stress, encourage self esteem and create community. Instead, we walk in the vast crowds of our cities alone in a desert of disconnection. Starving for physical connection.

We crave touch. We are cut off from it. The result is touch isolation.

How often do men actually get the opportunity to express affection through long lasting platonic touch? How often does it happen between men? Or between men and women? Not a hand shake or a hug, but lasting physical contact between two people that is comforting and personal but not sexual. Between persons who are not lovers and never will be. Think, holding hands. Or leaning on each other. Sitting together. That sort of thing. Just the comfort of contact. And if you are a man, imagine a five minutes of contact with another man. How quickly does that idea raise the ugly specter of homophobia? And why?

While women are much freer to engage in physical contact with each other, men remain suspect when they touch others. There is only one space in our culture where long term platonic physical contact is condoned for men, and that is between fathers and their very young children.”_

_
“But at the root of all these flawed rationalizations is the fact that most American men are never taught to do gentle non-sexual touch. We are not typically taught that we can touch and be touched as platonic expression of joyful human contact. Accordingly, the very inappropriate over-sexualized touch our society fears runs rampant, reinforcing our culture’s self fulfilling prophecy against men and touch. Meanwhile, this inability to comfortably connect via touch has left men emotionally isolated contributing to rampant rates of alcoholism, depression and abuse.

And what if the lack of platonic touch is causing some men to be far too aggressive toward women, who, as the exclusive gatekeepers for gentle touch are carrying a burden they could never hope to fully manage? Women, who arguably are both victims of and, in partnership with men, enforcers of the prohibition against platonic touch in American culture? The impact of our collective touch phobia is felt across our society by every single man, woman and child.”_

What thoughts and feelings does this article evoke in you?

_

Comments

• @ribenge
    “Not a hand shake or a hug, but lasting physical contact between two people that is comforting and personal but not sexual. Between persons who are not lovers and never will be. Think, holding hands.”

I could not agree more. Thank you for sharing this.

• edited January 2023

@ribenge Than you for sharing this article .... it is well written and well thought out. As I read I thought about the over sexualization of our society via the various media avenues but also the perpetuation of these ideas within smaller groups. I particularly liked:

the very inappropriate over-sexualized touch our society fears runs rampant, reinforcing our culture’s self fulfilling prophecy against men and touch. Meanwhile, this inability to comfortably connect via touch has left men emotionally isolated contributing to rampant rates of alcoholism, depression and abuse.

I also LOVE that he quoted Brene Brown! She is a favorite of mine regarding shame, vulnerability, and the connection between mind, body, and emotions. www.brenebrown.com

I think all we can do is take one step at a time, because as we do this others will be doing the same in the other direction.

Edited to add: I think there will be constant work on this as rotten apples will always rot the barrel, per se .... We will have to always throw out the rotten apples.

• edited January 2023

Thank you for this! There is so much here. But I’d like to jump in on one recurring topic. In other threads I have suggested that men who come here assuming that platonic cuddling is just code for sexual foreplay aren’t necessarily behaving badly on purpose. No matter how the rules of this site are explained, society doesn’t provide an entry point for most men to really hear and comprehend the words. Yes, men behaving badly is wrong. This article says what I had in mind in a lot more comprehensive and detailed way.

• Thank you for sharing…couldn’t agree more!

• I think while there is socialization involved, no one truly gets into a classroom and learns to touch. Women aren't given lessons on touching, but they are encouraged more and maybe receive more from a younger age. While men may not be recipients of excessive platonic touch when young or growing up, I think once this deficit is realized, they have a responsibility to fill that missing area. While knowing ones limitations, one can still strive to improve each day and not constantly point to the lack of something in the past as reason for one's lack of in the present.

Also, men are monolithic and not every man will have the same reaction to platonic touch. Platonic touch doesn't make one a rapist, but maybe lack of positive touch can def affect them when growing up. But, I don't think the author can use one monolithic, over simplified voice of men take that generalization.

• It's a very complicated thing.
    The idea of cuddling with another man causes a visceral reaction in me that's very negative.
    However it made me think of the last time I had any physical contact with a man and it was with my dad. Couple of years ago we were sitting in the hospital room bench by the window watching over my mom who had been in a coma for weeks.
    We leaned on eachother and hugged. I realize we never hugged as adults or did that since I was a kid.
    I've had plenty of touch and cuddles from women since then but none of it can compare to how that felt. I don't think the gender matters though. It's who it is. The energy we exchange. What that person means to you. I just remember thinking how I wish we had hugged more often.
    He also died soon after that. I'm grateful to have had that memory with him. But it also makes me sad that it's just a memory now.
    I try not to think about it because I hate that I can't stop my eyes from watering.

• @ribenge Thank you for sharing this.

• @cylee1180 my idea of socialization begins with parents, grandparents, siblings, and any other family we experience in our early years. I believe is starts at birth and can change via insight and conscience choice to change.

• @TNNative It absolutely begins at birth. One study detailed how neonatal nurses pick up crying female babies more quickly than crying male babies. And in addition to socialization, other studies detail genetic and prenatal influences—however relatively small they may be. None of this is determinative. Just helpful in interpreting the world around us.

• @homeboy ... totally agree.

• It seems like it's a very good article from those excerpts alone. The part where it mentions "not a hand shake or hug, but lasting physical contact" I can say I've lacked that. Dealing with depression myself over the last several years, while there's been a lot of struggles, a lack of even platonic touch has definitely been a contributing factor. There's just something about that experience, the few times I've been close to someone, that gives you a reassurance that things are going to be ok and that you're cared for.

Is it unique to gender? I can't say 100% it is. But I know in my life, to want to have physical contact at its most pure and innocent form, I feel like there is still stigma surrounding men wanting that. And therefore not only leading them to not have a basic human need to want to be cared for/about fulfilled, but not knowing how to give that to someone else when a lot relationships and situations need it.

• Wow! @homeboy and @TNNative I couldn't even have imagined that socialization around this issue would begin that early in life. I thought the differentiation in gentle platonic touch begins in the pre-teen and teen years. The reference to neonatal nurses is just mind boggling! It is certainly something to think about.

• @ribenge ... gender reveal parties can contribute to the start of the gender socialization and gender related expectations.

• Thank you so much for sharing this article. It's so poignant. I hope lots of people read it and reflect!

• [Deleted User]Alan1975 (deleted user)

It almost sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. My niece is 19 years old. She has a very unique innocence for someone her age. Her father, my brother-in-law, is almost a perfect representation of a bear turned human: big, intimidating, grumpy, ornery. I've seen her curl up against him on the couch, too tired to keep watching whatever movie might be on. It doesn't make me think of anything but how much they both trust and care for each other. And, yeah, I wonder how I would feel about it, if I hadn't grown up with the social opinions I have, the taboos involving men showing platonic physical affection towards other men. And maybe I can find a way around those, I don't know. But there definitely needs to be a redefinition of male, of masculine. Society as a whole tells us not to emote, in essence to be hard, rather than strong. But hard is brittle.

• This reminds me of the scene in the film Grease where Danny Zuko and his best friend (and fellow “T-Bird”) Kenickie share a very brief yet playful moment of hugging after having a heart to heart conversation. As soon as they notice the other tough guys staring at them they both instantly revert back into “cool” mode and play it off completely. It’s a comedy bit yet also a commentary on this same topic.

• @MrMarkAndrew - All comedy is based on an exaggeration of the truth. If there wasn’t some truth to it wouldn’t be funny at all.

• This makes me think of the deconstruction of the Berlin Wall. Slowly, piece by piece openings are made, crossings become assessable, the wall keepers become lax, and over time, the whole thing comes down. This article looks like another stone being removed. I am happy to see The Good Men Project found its way here.