Taking your mind off things

edited January 2023 in General

Anyone else here a chronic overthinker?

I sometimes get caught up in my own thoughts which seems to stress me out a lot. I tend to be overly analytical and overcritical of my own behavior.

Lately I find that doing my math work on a chalkboard to be therapeutic. What other coping mechanisms do you guys have for overthinking?

Comments

• i have deleted social media accounts and feel better for doing it.

• 100% agree with @friendlyhugging about avoiding social media.

I am naturally and extremely analytical which was a gift when I was doing full time consulting work - but it can be a curse outside of some fairly narrow circumstances. I find connecting with nature to be my best coping mechanism. I am into cycling and I have rain gear and cold weather gear so I ride my bike outdoors year round. When it is really cold and/or raining outside I usually have the bike trails to myself. There is just something about being out in nature on 2 wheels that makes all my stress and overthinking fade away.

• 100% me! I’m an overthinker / shy / timid / introvert / all the above …. To cope I drink 4 beers 😂 😂

• I find doing jigsaws and crosswords relaxes me.

• [Deleted User]GreyAndGreen (deleted user)

Like @friendlyhugging I left social media and think I'm better for it.
    Additionally, I'm using cognitive processing therapy for PTSD, an approach that addresses 'stuck points'. I try to be vigilant in recognizing triggering situations, asking myself:

Are these thoughts realistic or helpful?
    What can I tell myself on such occasions in the future?

• edited January 2023

Overthinking is the wrong word. I think a better description is leaving the door open and letting too many thoughts in. You will be asked to leave most reputable hotels if you have more people than the capacity of the room. So you have to limit the number of guests and you normally do that by who you like best. In the same manner, you need to prioritize thoughts according to how they affect you as a person. For example, saying if I do X will make person Y react a certain way is a wasteful use of your time because you do not know what will happen most of the time—people are wild cards. Wasteful thoughts like that you can disregard. Thoughts about the people you love and who love you should always be the highest priority. The rest of the spectrum is up to you in accord to what is important to you.

Of course this might not make sense to you, but it declutters things for me. I know one person that was struggling with negative thoughts and depression trying to tell me what they accomplished the past week. I stopped them and asked why didn’t you write this down as a list so you can visually see your progress and then you don’t have to clutter your mind with trying to remember everything. This made sense to her and she told me a few weeks ago that it helped some.

I also don’t believe there is a magic bullet. I think it takes a few different strategies otherwise if you only have one strategy you start to critically nitpick it and convince yourself it won’t work.

• @Ripley54566 I do this all the time. Working with a therapist has helped me a lot. One easy strategy that works for me is mindfulness. When thoughts overtake my mind I stop and use my senses to notice things around me presently. I make a mental list: "I hear ___, I smell ____," etc. Helps me focus on now instead of what has already happened, or what MAY happen in the future.

• edited January 2023

I'm ruminating so much lately. It drives me completely crazy.. hopefully when my partner gets back ill be less alone in my thoughts and not fixate on things as much. Will be nice when my life feels more stable... I don't do well with chaos and new stuff.
    I try to find a addictive tv show to distract myself.. been watching in the dark on Netflix

• I always overthink, going to the gym or hiking sets me at ease for awhile, or hanging around my close friends. Sometimes a TV show can help or listening to your favorite music.

• I overthink everything, but it's not a stressor. It just is, like brushing my teeth or watering the plants.

• I use meditation, especially the techniques that are made to stop my mind.

• Music. My mind is constantly racing with all these thoughts and images. Music does it for me. Adds some kind of structural element I can work with.

• Yoga. Productive YouTube videos, like on decluttering or setting goals. Taking my dog for a walk in nature. Or if it's really bad, sleeping it off.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• [Deleted User]Mman (deleted user)

Keeping busy is very important, even with minor routine tasks. This has been a lifetime battle for me and no meds have helped. Therapy has helped only to the point where I have followed the keep busy advice. I hike, bike, kayak, read, listen to music, crossword puzzles, pencil paint, garden, dance, volunteer at four non-profits, tinker with my old car, and bottle cap art. If I stay idle then my brain wanders.

Winston Churchill said "If you're going through hell, keep going".

• I would definitely say I overthink a lot. It's in part because of having gone so much with my mental health, I am constantly trying to find ways to achieve my goals. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes I fall flat on my face with stress and worry overtaking me. Having learning disabilities like I do doesn't help either because I have to work harder, or adjust more to accomplish most things. It's a battle. What helps me is mainly music. It settles me. Overall, I'm trying to work on being busier as others have suggested.

• @FunCartel
    Great analogy! I will use that because I visualize everything, I appreciate your post!
    I listen to music and paint or draw. I have a lot of ways to refocus my thoughts. I will usually look at books or pleasing images online. Go outside and look around. Anything to distract.
    Also making lists to sort out my thoughts.

Are we ever at peace in our lives? And if not can we ever find it? So far, I am still searching .

• [Deleted User]Cater2you (deleted user)

Yep. Lately I have been listening to chinese instrumental music, Guzhen. My spouse is overjoyed because I'm constantly listening to it, every night. It helps a little.

• Cook. Bake. Draw. Color. Music. Puzzles. Garden. Yoga. Hike. Bike. Exercise. Pets. Walk. Cuddle.

Specific strategies: soft music, bubble bath, candles, and two ounces of chilled Fortaleza or Casamigos repasado in a crystal glass.

• [Deleted User]Cater2you (deleted user)

Been listening to this the past while and it has helped a bunch this past month. There are many short and simple vids she has but I'm grateful to her for posting them. I've been getting lots of simple amateur string intrument musicians popping up on youtube.

• I'm definitely big open door of thoughts as @FunCartel so well put it. 1. Journaling, reading or completing projects at coffee shops which I love doing because it's fun to experience different flavors of coffee beans and coffeehouses. I get energize by being around people but alone enough to channel my thoughts and 2. Hanging with people with good energy which is hard to do as often.

• The headspace app is good. I listen to their sleep sounds at night (laundromat, don't ask why) but they also have mindfulness practice and a bunch of other things. It was created by a monk left and moved back to England.