Comments

• My sympathies. Textbooks in the USA are a total scam.

• ..... torrent/pirate them.

• @CuddleDuncan - The U.S. government made student loans so easily accessible that anyone who is a student can take out a loan for as much as they need no matter their major without any co-signer or proof that they will ever be able to pay it back. As a result, the cost of tuition and books went sky high.

• On the plus side, you should be able to claim the cost of books and tuition on your income tax education credits. Though the books may or may not make a difference depending on which credit and how much the tuition is. For me they helped in that regard though. But yeah the prices are ridiculous. I always try to find used somewhere else like amazon or something.

• @CSnMUS87 - My job reimburses me up to $5,250 per year for tuition and textbooks. I'm just making a comment how how ridiculously expensive it is.

• College books were even expensive back in my day. Always looked for ways around the costs like used, sharing etc. lot of professors took pity and would put like a half dozen on closed reserve at main library. You could study there with book but couldn’t check them out It was more conducive to study there anyways than apartments lol So it worked out !

• You can likely get the same edition on amazon for like $30. Delivered next day, saving you $270. That’s so crazy. Like someone else said, you could also get the pdf someplace. My uni used to have a dc++ site that shared everything.

• @PrettyLuv - The bookstore on campus is the most expensive place to buy textbooks, but I have to buy through them to be eligible for a reimbursement from my work. It's silly. For some reason it's named after a beer. Tivoli Station. Tivoli is a microbrewery on campus to get a beer before or after class.

The website claims that students save money over the publisher's listed price. Bullshit.

• You should tell your boss about the outlandish exorbitant prices of the books and ask if receipts to purchase it elsewhere would be sufficient proof so you could save the funds for other student specific expenses that might come up. It’s so messed up how they take economic advantage of the poor little students this way for the sake of educating them whilst burying them in greater and greater debt.

• @PrettyLuv - They also buy back used books and give the student around $10-20 to sell it back to them then turn around and sell it for $250-300. It's silly.

• Good luck with your studies this semester.

• good luck! i would scour the internet for cheap/pdf versions of your books. i did it when i was in school and it sometimes took forever but it was worth it. the easiest way is to copy and paste the ibsn code into google

• also renting books saves a lot of money too

• Definitely renting books saves money if you won't need it as a reference in later years.

Try asking your profs if buying the textbook - 1 edition older than the newest edition - will be ok. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference and stores are often trying to unload them at very low prices.

• edited January 2023

I start today. These are my two classes I'm taking this semester.

(Analog & Digital Communications and Interface Techniques)

• @Mike403 - When I went to school, both my employer and the V.A. offered reimbursement. I asked the company Personal Dept. if it was okay to also get reimbursed by the V.A. There response was "I don't know. Nobody ever asked before. Go ahead." Since I was making money on it, I deliberately picked the most expensive school in the area. Somehow, I never bothered to ask the V.A.

• edited January 2023

My employer offers reimbursement also, so I would purchase the books on Amazon, get my reimbursement, then resell them on ebay and turn a little profit ;)