TV show that the writers should be embarrassed about

edited January 2023 in General

Velma takes the cake. It attempts to be a reimagining of the Scooby Doo series, but fails drastically. The characters don't look anything like they do in the Scooby Doo cartoons and their personalities are completely different. It's like they were making a completely different show, figured that nobody is gonna care to watch this, then named everyone after Scooby Doo characters to add some familiarity to it.

Scooby Doo isn't even in this which a good thing. I'd hate for him to suffer the same embarrassment of this atrocity.

Comments

• And yet they're already talking about a renewal for a second season.

• @WriterGF - It's getting a lot of coverage on how bad it is causing people to watch bringing the ratings up making them think that the show is popular.

• End of the day, it will depend on if they feel it is bringing new people to the service. if it is just a curiosity watch, then viewership will plummet by second or third episode.

• 1.5 rating on IMDB, 7% Audience Score on RT, 55% with critics. I don't think I've ever seen a worse rating for a show. I loved Scooby Doo growing up. Watched it on Cartoon Network, also enjoyed Pup Named Scooby Doo.

• The show is a racist show, it’s anti-white, anti-man. And unfunny! I hate when they take beloved existing characters and change them for stupid reasons. Mindy Kalling is super overrated.

• I heard that the new The Last of Us show based on the game may actually save HBO Max's reputation. It is actually really good.

• "Friends". Just a real snoozefest with no comedic value.

• Velma’s actually getting a lot of great reviews. Most of the complaints I see are from a particular political bent complaining that it is “woke.” The head writer worked on the Office and SNL, and I personally know some of the cast who are totally psyched about it.

But, to each their own!

I feel that way about a lot of The Witcher. The bard is SO cringey that I can’t even watch it.

• [Deleted User]CatGirlColorado (deleted user)

Yikes… I’ve seen clips of it online and this sounds about right. I’m sure there are people that will like the humor but doesn’t sound like something for me. This is a review on Reddit and it echos what many are saying.

• @Mike403 I just watched the first episode of The Last of Us and it was great! I am a huge fanboy of the games though so I’m prob a bit biased.

• I find most shows to be written poorly. It's so common for characters to be incredibly stupid so that the story goes in a direction they want. Whether it's an entire army of Imperial troops not knowing which direction up is, super smart engineer/scientists not knowing how to turn off a monitor, or constantly changing rules of a story world.

It might be easier to list shows that writers shouldn't be embarrassed about.

• @JasonCuddles - Yes, but they took a well loved TV series and made a mockery of it. If it was its own show, it probably wouldn't have gotten as much hate.