Who here plays D&D, or other RPG’s?

2»

Comments

• @Mikitea I've thought about putting together an all-bard campaign. My first story would have involved a group of bards going up in to the mountains to get material (stories), so they can write a song and win a battle of the bands (not a literal battle, probably). What's your campaign like?

• edited May 2023

@Unscented_Lemon so it started out with all of us winding up in hell, forced to play a show there for a devil in exchange for our souls. We wound up roleplaying an over the top set complete with special effects and pyrotechnics and it was going great until he caught us trying to steal our souls back. We escaped and its just been a long two years of us accruing a heaping list of bbeg's and really cherished memories. My favorite is us playing together for the first time in person at a game shop. We ran tomb of annihilation and our bard Rogue rolled a nat 20 cooking stew and we chanted "soup! Soup! Soup!"

• [Deleted User]WinterSoldierzz (deleted user)

Always been interested in playing, never actually did. Being a DM sounds difficult I must say

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@WinterSoldierzz

In my experience the hardest part of being a GM is weeding out the “bad” players.

And by “bad” I mean the ones who don’t respect everyone else’s time, who are rude or combative with you or other players, who complain or sulk when dice don’t go their way, who don’t make the effort to have a good time and make the game more fun for others.

You know, just like anything else in life.

It’s funny, in retrospect, but learning to be a GM, helped me be a FAR better game designer, and a professional level band leader.

Who knew?

• I play and sometimes dm an ongoing 1st edition campaign.
    I also play in a 5th edition game sometimes when we can all get together ❤️.

• [Deleted User]LeafOnTheWind42 (deleted user)

April 2020. My kid was watching MLP and the ponies were playing “Ogres and oubliettes” and she asked “Dad is that a real game and can we play it?” Thus began my journey as a DM. Now i run a biweekly 5e campaign (on our 3rd year) for my daughter and 4 of her friends, a monthly with some adult friends, and just finished a mini-campaign for a couple i know. And today, ran a one-shot for 4 ten year old boys at a birthday event. Just putting away all my Dwarven Forge from the 3 maps this weekend, and then back to painting tomorrow while i catch up on my Critical Role Season 3.

How did this happen???

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@LeafOnTheWind42

That is fantastic!

• I love D&D I have played it a Lot.

• Copying my reply to a thread I saw before, much more of an appropriate response in this thread:

I play D&D weekly with a group of friends for the past couple of years. I'm also more recently playing this role-playing game using the Hunter the Reckoning system

• edited June 2023

I have played in 3 campaigns over the past 3 years and DM’d two other campaigns, and I absolutely adore the fantasy itch that it scratches for me!

As a private school teacher who was privileged enough to create their own curriculum (and someone who believes whole heartedly that what we learn through joy and play [and relevancy] we always remember), I used DnD in my classroom as an engaging and amazingly plasticine medium for multidisciplinary learning.

It began in my Astronomy class when I asked my students to create their own imaginary, but completely working solar system with a named galaxy, planets and moons. They would pick one to be a goldilocks planet which would have specific geography, climate zones, atmospheres, apex predators, and fauna and flora that would survive there. I also asked them to imagine creatures that inhabited their planets similar to how humans do on earth. This would be the kind of creature they would model their own Character from.

We explored the elements of Creative Writing as we created their backstories and cultures and planetary histories (even generational differences in cultures across different races).
    This part was incredible. I simply couldn’t believe the intricacies of culture and racial and inter-racial justice and journeys of gender identity that they created here.

Then the Fine Arts:
    Learning to See as an Artist, a.k.a, Drawing, as they took their writing and reimagined what a 2D version of their characters would look like.
    Usually I would teach a painting course first here, but we explored Sculpting and Pottery for a while, sculpted our characters, and followed with color theory while discussing the ins and outs of using acrylic paint as an artistic medium.
    After that, I had them scale down their characters to a 1”x1” or 2” by 2” base (for larger creatures).

At this point they still had no idea that we were going to use these creatures for a game of any sort.

But when I told them we were going to use the miniatures of their characters to play DnD all afternoon on Fridays, they were so stinking stoked! A few of them had always wanted to play, and others were quite curious about it.

I created a campaign on DnDBeyond and we went through their digital character creation as they mostly had regular races, with some that had to be home brewed, but ended up with an Apeling rouge, Triton/merfolk Barbarian, Myconid Ranger, Aasimar Sorceress, Faerie Cleric, Gnome Druid, Dwarf Cleric and a Dragonborn Warlock.

I started them out with a couple of levels worth of a practice run of the Lost Mines of Phandelver, so they could get a feel for it; and then went with using Mercers Wildemount as a basis of where they would meet in their permanent campaign.

In game, depending on what they would roll, I had them solve simple mathematics to complex analytical geometry to get through certain obstacles. We learned to exercise critical thinking through solving riddles (mathematic and otherwise).

The fundamentals of Ethics, Philosophy and Interpersonal Communcation/Social Emotional Skills were a daily part of the adventure.

We even recreated favorite parts/story arcs of their adventures as skits/plays in Theatre Arts Class for the school and community to enjoy.

Clearly I love it, and still use it as a method of teaching as a private tutor.
    If you have a child that is struggling with Math, I highly recommend it. It’s worked wonders for my students confidence!