Spurious Onomatopoeia

When I was a young lad in the process of learning my first language, I created sound-words based on how I perceived the sounds.

In the style of splash, boom, and pop, here are some I came up with:

Someone running across the yard was bolp bolp bolp...

The flushing of a toilet was glolllllGIT!

A piano being played went dlun dlun dlun

The built in vacuum-operated milking system we used for our cows went kee-lah kee-lah kee-lah

For those who didn't know that I'm goofy sometimes, this is your notification. For those who were suspicious, it's a confirmation, and for this who already knew, this is a reminder.

Does anyone else have made-up onomatopoeia?

Comments

• edited May 2023

@JoyfulHeart I do like to make up words sometimes and onomatopoeia is one of my favorite words to say, however my quirk is that since I was young, I associated certain numbers with colors and sometimes genders. I remember something going around social media about questions that can't be answered "like asking what the color nine smells like." I said 9 would probably smell like grape, because 9 is purple. No one understood me.

• For some reason, I have an idea what dark brown sounds like when played on the piano. It's rich, smooth, sweet, and blended, like expensive chocolate

• @JoyfulHeart - are you synaesthetic?

• Not really. For some reason my mind made that connection.

• I am synestheic but grahine. Love these visual sounding words! I used to enjoy just saying onomatopoeia when I first learned it.
    @Sideon are you synesthetic?
    I see every thought as a picture. I thought everyone did until about 12 years ago.

• @carrieanne - Chromesthetic. Sight and sound, here. Sharp sounds are spikes. Music is usually waves of color. I notice it more when I'm relaxed.

• I visualize music as shapes, or as a kind of line graph.

• @Sideon i will check that out! Looks interesting!
    @TxTom ive met someone else here who is synesthetic with music like you but not as a graph I think. Maybe like each note creating images?
    With music I only see images of what it reminds me of. Memories or places and emotions.