Memorial Weekend

[Deleted User]Cuddleguy030 (deleted user)

A shout-out to those veterans and those who had fallen for our Country or their native country.

What are some activities everyone will be doing Monday?

As for me, I may spend it by myself. I will work on my book and nap in the sunshine or something like that.

Comments

• At least, just take a moment this weekend to remember those who didn't come back.

Their ultimate sacrifice paid for our ability to screw around on these forums, or to chill out this weekend and enjoy a bar-b-que with friends and family.

Pop a top for those that didn't come home.

• @TxTom exactly. I have a friend who lost two buddies in Afghanistan to a sniper. They got the sniper at least. Has a tattoo of the two guys dog tags on the chest area and a tattoo on the wrist of the box of ammo they found that was used on them. It had a wolf on the box.

My dad is a Vietnam vet and my brother served in the Navy during peaceful times, but damn I can't image the terror of being pinned down by a sniper. No training can prepare you for that.

• My condolences for anyone who suffered any losses. I usually do a cookout with the family and maybe a few friends

• @MrAdmirer The accounts I've heard of when battles devolved into hand-to-hand combat... an unimaginable nightmare.

Anyway, Peace Thru Strength.

• I returned last night from an Honor Flight to Washington DC. We took 32 veterans to see the memorials; at the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials, the names of the fallen are inscribed; chronologically for Vietnam, alphabetically for Korea. I was a guardian and pushed veterans in wheelchairs.

• we saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.

• @CuddleButtLOL I have seen that ceremony about 20 times now and I walk about 8 minutes afterwards to the spot where my mom and dad are buried. First time in three years I didn’t get back to put flowers on their graves from me. Of course the Old Guard puts the flags on the graves. The ceremony at the Unknown Soldier’s Tomb never gets old and never ceases to touch a nerve.