When Superficiality Meets Cowardice: A Tale of Judgments

Because I can't use the language that I would prefer to use (as it would be inappropriate), here is the more poetic version of my message.

To the Vanishing Soul Who Deigned to Abandon Me,

In the realm of human connections, each person holds their own preferences, an orchestra of desires that guides them towards their chosen companions. Yet, it is with a heavy heart that I address you, the fleeting apparition who appeared before me, only to dissolve into the mist without a single utterance, leaving behind naught but a digital barricade between us.

Our conversations, although modest and benign, held the semblance of civility. Alas, it was at the chosen hour and place, as our paths converged, that you abruptly turned away, denying me the courtesy of even a whispered farewell. It seems the sight that befell your gaze in that moment, beyond the confines of my visage, failed to meet your expectations. But instead of donning the garb of empathy, you chose to retreat, evading your own capacity for kindness.

May you stumble upon the fulfillment you seek, although it seems, from my humble estimation and the veiled allusions you cast in our discourse, that your desires transcend the bounds of this modest realm we find ourselves in. May each day bring you encounters with souls who mirror the courtesy you bestowed upon me, which, regrettably, amounted to none.

Know this, with unwavering conviction: I am an extraordinary being, crafted with a tapestry of greatness. Judge me solely by my physical guise, and you shall miss the grand symphony that resides within. Thus, I extend to you, in the sincerest fashion, the wish for a truly magnificent day.

Yours, resplendently,
The Fabulous One

Comments

• I don't know what your situation was, but it sounds like a number of blind dates I had in my youth. They see you before you see them, then they turn around and leave and you never hear from them again. (That's why I tried to arrange my meetings in the vicinity of a bookstore, so that if I got stood up, I could go buy myself something.)

• We had agreed to do our public meet at a local restaurant. Thankfully, it was right next to a store I had been wanting to visit this week. So I managed to get myself a few goodies to make it worthwhile rather than a waste of time and gas.

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

Imagine a tale of love unspoken, where once two hearts were closely bound.
    Alas, a sudden vanishing token, a specter of silence without a sound.

’Tis ‘ghosting’ that we now name this act, when one disappears, leaving the other perplexed.
    No letters nor courtesies, just a cold, hollow pact, where communication is cruelly hexed.

In this age, our modern ways decree, no obligations to each other we must bear.
    ‘Tis a choice we make, to be untethered and free, leaving hearts adrift in despair.

No debt of response or farewell is owed, as each soul wanders through life’s vast sea.
    Yet, let us remember, in love’s timeless code, empathy and kindness can still set us free.

Although Shakespeare’s eloquence may not have touched directly on the specific concept of ghosting, his words could offer insight into the transient nature of relationships and the changing expectations in our modern world.

• There is nothing wrong with your appearance, which should not matter at all.
    That this individual was incapable of discerning your mental prowess suggests the hand of fate stepped in and in reality, you got clean getaway.
    ❤️

• [Deleted User]MrAdmirer (deleted user)

I would be thrilled to meet with any enthusiast

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)

@MrAdmirer

Heh. Enthusiasts are rare creatures that only live in other cities…

But, yeah, sounds wonderful.

• edited June 2023

I’m very sorry this happened to you, the person should have at least acknowledged you. However there is the possibility that they were up to doing something no good and guilt overtook them in the moment. Whatever it was, it wasn’t about you. It’s something going on with them.

• Trust me, it's not you, it's them. Whatever they're mental problem is, they just couldn't get over it. Do not let it bother you, please. Your agility with words is simply amazing, plus you're cute too!!!

You definitely deserve to be treated better than that. ☺️

• So beautifully written…thank you for sharing and I’m sorry you went through that.

• edited June 2023

They probably bottled it. Not you, the whole cuddling thing. All too much, so they just fled.

Wouldn't have killed them to drop you a line later though.

• @lyzzi1489 and @CharlesInWI
    You each made me smile from reading such eloquent expressions. I can’t imagine anyone not wanting to meet you and/or @WriterGF
    They were likely not able to cope with the reality of meeting in person and their loss!
    It’s really nice to just write the experience right out of your mind.
    Meanwhile back when I did online dating, I had both sides of that experience!
    One who cowardly left before meeting me and another who was definitely not my type or match but I went right up to him with a smile and we sat and talked for a while anyway.

• Clicked for the inflammatory topic title.

Being ghosted is one thing, but you were stood up? That’s crappy. It’s not necessarily that they caught a glimpse of you and changed their mind, unless you know that somehow. It’s hard to tell what is being assumed here as part of the passive aggressive vitriol!

• @lyzzi1489

From an aficionado of eloquent prose:

You are a brilliantly gifted wordsmith.

• @lyzzi1489

I second what @JoyfulHeart said!!! That's what I was trying to say but I'm not gifted with words.

I appreciate people who are though, and they rank super high on my list of favorite peoples!!!

If you ever need help with math, formulas, or mechanical stuff, just let me know, because that's where I shine!!!

• @lyzzi1489 For what it's worth, I can't see any reason anyone would not want to meet you. I know from my own experience that sometimes the people who stand you up never even left their house ... just cold feet, I guess.