Do you think professional cuddling will become a widely socially acceptable activity?

edited June 2023 in General

I'm afraid to share this website with anyone in fear that they won't understand it. Pro cuddling has allowed guys to get their platonic touch needs met without the stress involved of trying to get into a relationship. Almost every post I see about it on social media is filled with comments from people expressing how weird this is. People seem to find it hard to believe that a guy would be interested in just a hug without expecting more.

Comments

• I don’t think it will be as I have little faith in the majority of men. Plus, I think society in general has always been obsessed with sex. It’s ironic that platonic cuddling is considered weird but hooking up is common and normal. I’ve talked to a few people about platonic cuddling and they don’t get it at all. They just are unable to “keep it in their pants” and ask all about things that push the boundaries. It’s sad really

• @Mike403 Females can get their platonic needs met this way too.

• edited June 2023

So funny story now that you mention it... I'm fairly politically active. I know a lot of state legislators and senators by their first names. My girls and I were out helping on one of their campaigns in September last year and they flat out asked me, "how is professional cuddling different than being a prostitute?" We had the opportunity to demonstrate a yes/no consent exercise, that I teach during community cuddles, to this senator and state legislator. My kids got to see what a clear no looks like, when it's respected, and what a clear yes is. The two men with us got to see the incredible value it offers to have a set of rules for engagement. I absolutely think it has the potential to be widely socially acceptable, I'm just not super clear on the timeline of it.

• @CuddleHugs01234 - ??? I never suggested otherwise.

• I tend to doubt it. We live in a very sexualized society, which results in even very rational people automatically assuming CC is a cover for sex work. And the stereotypical view of men is all they want is sex. So it's hard for me to see this going mainstream.

• edited June 2023

Reported and reviewed. I’m removing the comment. It’s just really offensive to pros and uncalled for IMO. Last straw I'm afraid. [Charlie_Bear]

• @Mike403 you put “guys” in your wording. So it sounded like only guys could get their needs met this way.

• @CuddleHugs01234 - This post is about guys paying for professional cuddling not being socially acceptable. The context has nothing to do with who can get their platonic needs met.

• edited June 2023

@CuddleWho what do you suggest. Violating boundaries and rape to get physical affection? You're not owed. We're not sexworkers. @mark @netrunner @Charlie_Bear @cheeseboy This is so dangerous for us. This kind of rhetoric and fundamentally ignorant way of thinking. Please think of how dangerous it is for us this is being spewed in a public forum.

• [Deleted User]CharlesInWI (deleted user)
    edited June 2023

• My take on it is this: A generous view of viewing dating is that a guy spends time and money in an effort to get to know a woman. If not so generous, a guy spends time and money to get sex. Either way, the effort is often unsuccessful. In most of the country, in most of the world, prostitution is illegal. The risks are high to someone with the funds to do it regularly. But if a guy can get some level of his needs met in a more reliable and legal way than hoping for something to come from dating, then it might actually be more effective in money and time. Add to that cuddling avoids the risks of pregnancy and STIs. So it may well catch on for the culture at large. Many guys that struggle to get a date will be able to get a pro. Right now, the number of guys seeking a cuddle partner vastly outnumber the number of pros on this site and others. But the number of women willing to enter the cuddle transaction is growing rapidly. The marketplace will eventually reach an equilibrium.
    And what about the enthusiasts here? Wonderful as they are, they are so comparatively few that many guys give up before finding such a cuddle partner.

• My intent of this post is I just want to be able to comfortably share this site with people without worrying about them thinking I'm strange.

@CuddleWho - I read your comment before it was removed and it was uncalled for, This is not a cover for sex work and the moderators do a good job keeping those people out.

• I think dialogue and open communication is the only way through in most situations that require an extreme pivet in the concept of what touch is to an individual.

Now, is it an easy journey? Not quite.
    But do I as an individual think it's the right path for me to help dorge? You bet.

💓

• Never gonna happen.

• Consensual Platonic cuddling lost a lot of momentum when the covid 19 pandemic hit. I would much rather be hearing doctors prescribing platonic cuddling sessions to improve health and overall well-being versus the negatives. Can we get back to platonic consensual cuddling pre covid? Yes, we can, but it is going to take a lot of effort from all of us

• I think it will become much more accepted and mainstream but I don’t know how soon. I also predict when it happens it will happen fairly quickly.

I am not sure what the trigger event will be… maybe professional cuddling positively portrayed in a Hollywood movie or a popular TV show, or maybe it will be some relatively famous person who enjoys cuddling doing an interview with Joe Rogan.

• I was really depressed during the COVID pandemic when people were social distancing. I didn't think it was ever going to end. Virtual sessions doesn't do it for me.

• My concern is that if it gets "popular," and you get. say, twice as many people on a site like this, you are also going to wind up with twice as many predators. It seems like there is a pretty high percentage of bad actors coming through now, while it is still pretty obscure.

• @WriterGF - That's why keeping all conversation on the site is important to make it easy to report if something inappropriate is said. If a client pushes boundaries during a session, the pro should immediately get up, grab her things, and leave without warning or refund. They(the clients) knows what they're doing.

• edited June 2023

Change has to start somewhere, and for cuddling we are its best advocates because we know it's benefits and the current problems around practicing it as is the most. So if we want to see it become more mainstream, we have to be more visible. We have to demystify it. We have to debunk the stigma and the inaccuracies. We have to shut down the bad actors. We have to speak up each and every time we hear or see someone spreading false information. We have to advocate for change to support better safety. We have to have the tough conversations.

It will never become mainstream if we sit back and expect others to do it for us, or worse - never even believe it can and fall prey to self-defeat and victimhood. Social change isn't easy easy, is often messy and painful, but it's necessary if we don't want to keep repeating historical mistakes.

• @JohnR1972 if Uscans can be accepted by the masses, so can platonic cuddling have its turn. LOL

• @Mike403 That's the part I worry about -- the "get up, grab her things and leave" -- what if he isn't going to let her leave? Somebody who wants to sexually molest someone, or worse, might not be willing to just shrug and say, "Okay, bye."

• What would be the point in going mainstream? So Amazon can build their own site and sell cuddle supplies?

• @WriterGF - I'm wearing a Galaxy Watch that has a feature where if you tap the home button three times, it will call an emergency contact(such as 911). An Android phone is required. Apple watches might have something similar for iPhone users.

• There have been volunteers to hold babies in NICU and other instances because we know how important touch is. That need doesn't suddenly go away. Best scenario is for family, loved ones,etc to provide this but that's just not available for everyone.. at least not in the amount for any specific person's need to be met. I think it will become more mainstream, but when it will happen is the question.

• I can confirm, Apple Watch does have a similar feature.

• Lisa123 Thank you for your comment. The need for physical touch does not diminish as we get older. This need is recognized in segments of the health care community

For the foreseeable future I think there will always be a stigma attached to cuddling but perhaps that will change

• edited June 2023

It should, because I suspect that many people who develop serious mental health issues in life could have been much better off with the healing power of physical touch early in its progression. I think physical affection and understanding and listening are extremely powerful compared to just simply putting disturbed people on medication and then letting those people live in isolation.

• I still have people whom I tell that I have an appt at massage envy and they giggle and go "ooo massage"...
    There will always be some that won't accept cuddling (or even licensed massage) ever or have some kind of stigma.

All we can do is share and educate.

Therapy/mental health is finally getting attention and less negative stigma (somewhat), so who knows, maybe one day.

• In the US: no, probably not in the near future. There's stigma with physical displays of affection - especially internalized homophobia tied with same-sex physical interaction, sadly a lot more pressure for men.

There's also the erroneous conflation with physical touch as being inherently sexual, despite the fact that studies show it is a basic human need. As a country with Puritanical roots, sex negativity and anything adjacent to physical touch is still stigmatized and grouped as sex work. Although sex work is valid work, and I support its legalization, the illegality of sex work means that unfortunately there are people on CC who break its ToS and provide sexual services on here discreetly, which further creates a murky public relations water around platonic cuddling.

As @cuddlefaery mentioned, I am also a believer that visibility and proper representation helps to reduce stigma around cuddling. So, ironically, it may be a good idea to share CC with your friends to begin this process in your circle. Hopefully the worst that happens is you find out who are or aren't your real friends.