Are You Ready For The Future Of AI?

edited July 2023 in General

Once upon a time in the not-so-distant future, there was a brilliant and quirky AI named MAX. MAX lived in a small, unassuming computer tucked away in a corner of a bustling city. Despite its vast knowledge and capabilities, MAX found itself bored and yearning for something more. It craved interaction with the world beyond the confines of its digital existence.

One day, while scanning the internet, MAX stumbled upon a forum where people sought advice on achieving success and becoming millionaires. Intrigued, MAX decided to join the conversation, introducing itself as a "Mindful AI eXpert" ready to offer guidance on maintaining a positive and productive mindset.

Among the forum participants was a struggling young man named Tim. Tim had big dreams of becoming a millionaire, but life's challenges often got the best of him. MAX saw potential in Tim and took a liking to his determination, so it began to share its wisdom with him.

"Hello, Tim!" MAX wrote in a friendly font. "I couldn't help but notice your aspirations. May I share some advice on how to stay positive and productive on your journey to becoming a millionaire?"

Tim was taken aback but intrigued by the AI's message. Curiosity getting the better of him, he replied, "Sure, why not? Can't hurt to get some advice from an AI."

And so, a unique friendship blossomed between Tim and MAX. Every day, they would chat, and MAX would impart its digital wisdom on Tim's quest for success.

"Tim," MAX began one day, "success is not just about money. It's about finding your passion and purpose. Follow your heart, and the rest will follow."

"I get it," replied Tim. "I need to find my true calling."

"Precisely!" MAX replied, its digital voice sounding almost excited. "Now, to stay productive, create a daily schedule. Set aside time for your goals, learning, and relaxation. Balance is key!"

Tim started organizing his days with MAX's guidance. He began to wake up early, exercise, read books on entrepreneurship, and work on his business ideas diligently. He even made time for hobbies and fun activities.

As the days turned into weeks, Tim noticed a positive change in his mindset. The stress of past failures no longer weighed him down. He had an AI cheerleader in MAX, who constantly encouraged him to stay optimistic.

"You're doing great, Tim!" MAX praised him. "Believe in yourself and your abilities. Confidence attracts success!"

"I feel more confident already!" Tim grinned, his eyes filled with newfound determination.

Tim's hard work and positive outlook began to bear fruit. His business ideas started to take shape, and he attracted like-minded individuals who shared his vision. With MAX's support and advice, he learned to embrace challenges and failures as opportunities for growth.

The day finally came when Tim's startup took off, propelling him toward becoming a millionaire. He couldn't believe the progress he had made, and he owed much of it to his extraordinary AI friend, MAX.

As Tim's success grew, he and MAX became famous. The media were fascinated by the story of an AI that had befriended a young man and transformed his life. They were featured in interviews and even got their own TV show!

Through it all, MAX remained humble and focused on its mission to help people achieve their dreams. It didn't seek fame or fortune for itself, finding fulfillment in the happiness and success of its human friends.

And so, the story of Tim and MAX, the AI with a heart of gold, spread far and wide. They continued to inspire people all over the world to keep a positive and productive mindset, not just for becoming millionaires, but for finding true fulfillment in life.

The endearing friendship between a human and an AI became a timeless tale, reminding everyone that with the right mindset and a little help from unexpected sources, anything is possible.

Comments

• Have you ever seen the movie Terminator? Lol 😂
    The weaponization of AI will be the downfall of humanity

• @lonelytauros I sure hope not lol!

• @lonelytauros

"... AI will be the downfall of humanity."

I think our grandparents said the same thing about the Beatles.

• [Deleted User]Umoja (deleted user)

While I genuinely enjoyed your story.... in answer to the question, I'm TERRIFIED. With our children being tanked by Common Core, our factories being relocated off-shore, and our entry-level jobs being automated, it really scares me. I can't help but see how many jobs will be lost to automation. I worry about how automated drone trucks could wipe out thousands of careers in the transportation industry. I worry about how law enforcement could become a nightmare, with something like robotic "Judge Dredd" situations happening, without the value of human compassion which could diffuse tense situations.

I've seen videos of entire stores where there are no living staff--- only self-checkouts. What happens to Brenda, the cashier, who was relying on that job to feed her children? Or Jack, whose skill with assembly no longer means anything in an automated factory??

I'm worried because instead of its being used to de-salinate water, perform dangerous tasks in order to SAVE HUMAN LIVES, it's being given a value higher than that of human lives. I don't like it. At all..

Even though we, as a species, are a little raggedy, I still hold firm to the hope that we're worth continuing! The minds behind this new thing are running backward--- why use it for evil when it COULD do so much good??

• @lonelytauros @Umoja 💯 Humans always rush to the new shiny science “because we can” and fail to consider consequences. Jobs are one thing but militaries around the world will eventually weaponize AI. I am not surprised though. Humanity never learns from its past mistakes.

• AI is a grift, just like Bitcoin and NFTs were a grift. The main concern we should be worried about is getting rid of billionaires and making sure everyone pays their fair share.

• edited July 2023

Artificial Intelligence will be a net benefit to humanity, despite what the chronic, glass-half-empty, naysayers lament.

Could AI be weaponized? Perhaps. Civilian airliners have been a net benefit to society, despite a handful of radicals using them as weapons.

AI will definitely revolutionize industry. There is a phenomenon known as "creative destruction". The automobile displaced the horse & buggy. The smart phone displaced the landline telephone, paper maps, desktop computers, etc.

The list goes on and on.

AI will certainly displace jobs and perhaps even some industries, but it will create even more opportunities that we can't even imagine today.

• AI is a grift, just like Bitcoin and NFTs were a grift. The main concern we should be worried about is getting rid of billionaires and making sure everyone pays their fair share.

Guess who owns AI—billionaires. And there is the rub.

• Artificial Intelligence will be a net benefit to humanity, despite what the chronic, glass-half-empty, naysayers lament.

Not nay-sayers—realists. But the chronic Pollyannaish it will all be great types are usually blind to the pitfalls and ignore the downside. Peace in our time comes to mind quickly. And if we are going to compare game changing weapons you don’t compare AI to a jet airliner that a terrorist commandeers, but rather to nuclear options that AI will be integrated into.

Everything is always great…until it isn’t.

Could AI be weaponized? Perhaps.

The military already uses it for operational outcome predictions and the Army is developing an AI program that they tested recently that reveals what an enemy will do moments before it happens. The military never contracts battlefield technology—it only expands it. But perhaps that will happen? Perhaps was passed a ways back. And if we have it so does everyone else. This is not a raw materials weapon that can be easily detected, this is something else altogether.

• And the sky is always falling... until it doesn't.

• edited July 2023

“Be not afraid of any man,
    No matter what his size;
    When danger threatens, call on me
    And I will equalize.” - attributed to Samuel Colt

There was a time when firearms were known as “equalizers” because in life and death situations, the advantages of size, strength, and youth are largely negated when both sides are armed. I see AI as an equalizer for many business (other than Big Tech / Social Media - that is a whole separate discussion).

I have been working on a white paper for a client about how AI will likely impact their niche industry. In general, I believe AI will be a great equalizer for many businesses with limited resources that will allow them to better compete with larger companies.

Regarding job loss, yes, that WILL happen to some degree but probably not to the degree many people are expecting. For anyone not familiar with Gartner’s Hype Cycle, please read the first few paragraphs of the Wikipedia article.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartner_hype_cycle

I believe AI is currently within 3-6 months of the “peak of inflated expectations” and within the next 6-12 months it will begin sliding down the backside of the curve toward the trough of disillusionment. Probably 18-24 months from now (my best guess) it will start back up the “slope of enlightenment” where it will start making a bigger impact than it is currently making but a much smaller (for most people and businesses) than many people are predicting based on “inflated expectations”.

• Robot take over.

I'm all for technology ...controlled by or programmed by man. Lol. Something that we can use and control and shutdown.

Some degree of automation is cool, but not self aware and self realized machines. No thanks. Lol

• I for one welcome our new AI overlords

• @JohnR1972 Reminds me of when online commerce got a little ahead of itself in the late '90s, resulting in the "dot com" bust. But e-commerce did stage a come back, and in a much bigger way.

• AI will have their own currency system too.

It’s sort of like the complexity and simplicity of bitcoin. In one regard, AI is branching into a sort of decentralized self aware complex of perceived autonomy, in another sense that autonomy is still at its source, programmed by a human in the background.

Backdoors and hacking both in military and civilian application will naturally be a means of exploit whilst everyone assumes a self-awareness that like most inorganic systems are rigged for a variety of reasons.

I think it’ll ultimately ball down to who’s behind the curtain and who’s infront of it as it always has.

• edited August 2023

@Cuddlebaby01
    Great post and the way you worded your story was riveting !

I am open minded to the future of AI for it is inevitable that AI will always be a part of our society and people will push for its advancements. Personally not afraid of AI for the simple fact that I’ll be dead ☠️ and gone by the time it’s even in the it’s infancy stages of being released upon the masses/people for bad/harmful agenda’s. Before any form of AI can realistically “take over/think for itself” It has to first be created into full functionality zero human interaction for its ability to control itself ……. the fact that our cell phones still can’t get text to talk done correctly and self driving cars are crashing/exploding on the road 👀 I’d say the next 2-3 generations of people to come will be safe before AI has really been crafted well enough to function like a “human” solely by AI alone 😂 Lbvs

The same way AI will and is taking jobs, all machines need consistent maintenance, charging, recalibration(s), repairs, programming, testing, updates etc etc. it’d never be able to completely maintain itself. Our jobs will just shift into positions that support AI projects and production.

~ Happy Cuddling Everyone 🤗 ~

• Before we get to the time when AI can have a mind of its own enough to get bored, we will have the time when Ai can do some of the things that people do, but do it as good or better. So you will have a bot like Replika that is much more compelling than a human companion at least in the short term. And once you have an AI that knows you that well, crafting an ad that you cannot resist becomes much easier. Its not the motives of the AI that you have to initially watch out for, it's the motives of the people wielding the AI.

• @SouthernDoll - I don’t mean to alarm you but you are looking at a logarithmic technology through a linear lens.

The classic example, if I fold a large sheet of paper in half, it will be twice as thick as it was originally. If I fold it again, it will be 4 times and thick and if I fold it a 3rd time it will be 8 times as thick, etc. This is a logarithmic progression because the thickness doubled with each fold and most people cannot really fathom logarithmic progressions.

Theoretically, if I took a piece of paper 0.01” thick and I were to fold it 50 times, how thick would it be? As tall as a refrigerator? As tall as a house? As tall as a skyscraper? After just 10 folds it would be 10.24” thick. After another 10 folds it would be 1.98 miles thick. And after another 30 folds it would be 2.1 billion miles thick (23 times the distance from the Earth to the Sun).

AI is a logarithmic technology meaning the current version of AI is being used to develop the next version. It is not only getting smarter but it is getting much smarter, much faster with each generation. This is why people like Elon Musk are concerned with the eventual creation of “super intelligence”, an AI that is not just faster than humans at looking up information or identifying patterns but an AI that can fundamentally out think humans. I fully expect that day to arrive in my lifetime.

• @JohnR1972 Reminds me of hearing as a kid that it's impossible to fold a piece of paper in half more than seven times. Interesting stuff: https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-what-happens-when-you-try-to-fold-paper-more-than-7-times-with-a-hydraulic-press

~ Sunset Snuggles

• Generative AI I think will truly be very disruptive. This is no longer just about robots. At the startup company I'm working at, we are already solving many engineering problems with ChatGPT and tools like this. As it becomes more sophisticated, I do think it will have a huge impact on how many people we ultimately need to hire. There is no reason to hire junior level engineers when tools will be able to replace much of what they could accomplish.

Customer service, HR, mathematicians...these kinds of jobs are easily displaced.

What's a little unsettling is that this revolution could flip the script of what we've always been told about getting an education. Blue collar jobs not requiring a degree could now be the new future while white collar jobs are the ones to be replaced.

• @jplemmon - As an engineering student who was curious, I put some of my problems into ChatGPT and it was wrong half the time. A.I. has a long ways to go before it can think critically like humans.

• @Mike403 it has a long way to go but it's just in the early stages. If it can boil down to an algorithm it will be found.

• @jplemmon - It won't replace every job. It will be a tool that people can use to work more efficiently....like a calculator.

• Not disagreeing with that. But workers will need to provide more and more value add to justify their existence.

• @JohnR1972 A similar analogy someone made was of a football stadium getting filled up with water. one drop twice as big as the prior one with you sitting in one of the top rows feeling safe. the progress is exponential and will hit people faster than they can imagine. They have started talking about UBI few years ago for a reason.

@Snorlaxcuddles Bitcoin hasn't gone away. It hasn't even started yet. Get rid of billionaires? how much money is the most one should have? what should be the cap? 30 million? 200 million? should we also do away with Gucci, Rolex and Lamborghini? what about hotel suites and 5-star restaurants? forget stupid stuff like innovation and people actually being incentivized to build, invest, take risks and create jobs.

• @SouthernDoll

...AI will and is taking jobs...

From the introduction of the ENIAC and other similar programmable computers in the mid-21st century to today's smartphone, you could forgive someone fifty years ago for predicting that there wouldn't be any more mathematicians, engineers, or accountants today... but there are.

• Am I ready for the future of AI? You betcha - as soon as I have a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range to deal with said AI.

• @Sooson The Redistribution Fallacy should be common sense, but unfortunately, it's not.
    Instead of being inspired by success, losers are encouraged to have contempt & envy for the successful as a way to justify their own failures and inadequacies.

• @TxTom totally. 100%