If you were a mod

What if you were a mod? For a day, a week or a month?

Do you think the forums would survive under your control? Would you uphold different opinions from your own or seek to silence them?

Would you ban those you’ve always wanted to ban or those who’ve irked or upset you in the past?

Would you allow people to double down on threads or would you impose limits?

Would you read through every thread? Go through every report with a fine tooth comb or give it a brief run-through at best?

How about tone? Would you foster a joking, sarcastic or mocking one, or a transparent, respectful, and honest one? Or some mixture of both? How would you respond to one vs. the other in the heat of an argument?

How would you be and what would you do if you were a mod, and the power were in your hands to do with as you please?

scenario presented if you had full autonomy to do as you wish

Comments

• I am consistent as a person, regardless of what hat I wear. Kind, but firm, is my motto. 💓 As a reminder, boundaries and rules of autonomy are key, and that's what keeps the balance in most social interactions, including moderation of a cuddle forum.

• edited November 2023

The forums would thrive under my Modship.

I would only ban those Users advocating violence, criminal activity, or thrice violating site policy.

Flags and timeouts would be heavily curtailed. Unpopular/politically incorrect opinions would be put behind a spoiler-like "Possible Hurt Feelings" warning. After all, we're all adults here.

I would encourage a friendly, respectful tone because, ultimately, we're all here for cuddles.

But I don't want to be a Mod.

• I'd quit in a day, as I wouldn't want all that responsibility and work. 😅

• edited November 2023

Oh my, this is a loaded set of questions... 🤣🤣🤣

Do you think the forums would survive under your control? Would you uphold different opinions from your own or seek to silence them?

Probably. I'm hard-wired to try to think of things in balanced terms, even when the majority is set to pounce on a post or an opinion. It probably drives some people crazy how tolerant I am sometimes, but I only know how to be me. 😁 Our community and the world is made up of so many different people with different backgrounds, opinions, and life experiences. And so those in leadership have to be as reasonably accomodating as possible to those different perspectives. "Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlysle

Would you ban those you’ve always wanted to ban or those who’ve irked or upset you in the past?

Nope. That demonstrates poor leadership. A good leader understands that in a world of 8 billion people, there will always be people in the world you don't get along with, people who disagree with everything you do, people who tick you off. The world is too diverse to make everyone happy. Being a mod requires having a thick skin and not taking everything personally or being too lax or too serious.

Oh, I would definitely impose some limits. I don't think you have to silence things every time people get into a tussle. Conflict in and of itself isn't an inherently bad thing. Good ideas come from conflict. Expression is a good thing within certain boundaries. But some threads devolve into non-constructive shouting matches and those kinds of fires should be extinguished sooner rather than later.

Would you read through every thread? Go through every report with a fine tooth comb or give it a brief run-through at best?

Nah, I wouldn't read through every thread. Too time consuming. And that's why there are multiple moderators.

How about tone? Would you foster a joking, sarcastic or mocking one, or a transparent, respectful, and honest one? Or some mixture of both? How would you respond to one vs. the other in the heat of an argument?

"To everything there is a season" (Ecclesiastes). There's a time to be funny, to be serious, to respond with a hint of sarcasm, a time to be restrained, a time to be blunt and honest. But ultimately across it all, a moderator cannot be disrespectful. It requires a measure of self control.

How would you be and what would you do if you were a mod, and the power were in your hands to do with as you please?

I think I'd focus on creating a more warm, welcoming environment. A lot of people read the threads and have opinions but are afraid of speaking up because of the often piranha-like nature of the forums. I'd also try to add some additional protections and safeguards to prevent the constant barrage of inappropriate remarks pro cuddlers report receiving.

My Final Thoughts

Who in the world would ever want the headache of being a mod? 🤣 I'd like to applaud those who tireless work to keep things reasonably civil, to protect our members, and to create a hospitable environment. 👏👏👏

• Actually, it would kinda be cool to see like a circulating modship - only caveat is you can’t ban unless you became a full time one.

• @PrettyLuv oooo so many questions to ponder 🤔

1st thing I’d change my profile pic to …

• @KingsportCuddle

Oh, I would definitely impose some limits….But some threads devolve into non-constructive shouting matches and those kinds of fires should be extinguished sooner rather than later.

yeah, I’d probably impose some limits too but not in the way that you mentioned. I don’t think I’d want to put out any fires because sometimes fires are necessary, but I think the kind of limit I’d impose is if you’re going to double down, only the first 3 double-downers will be allowed. After that there would need to be at least 3 anti-double-downers to reset the next 3 double down comments. Something like that so there’s some kind of a balance instead of a free for all bashing episode.

If there’s no one to counter the first 3 or take an opposing side because the 3 double downers are correct all the way through. The double downing would essentially end there…a.k.a point made.

• 😂 @OhioMike you sound like you’d be a fun mod lol

• If I was mod I would be increasing my intake of my anxiety medication every day as people constantly target other members, bullying people they claim to be bullies whilst constantly calling the people that differ in views from theirs a “mob mentality” whilst in a mob themselves, not realizing what colossal a-holes they are being on a site meant to be open and welcoming and a refuge for ALL of us who seek touch where we can otherwise not get it. And this is just on the forums which is nothing compared to the profile reports that come in. Yeah, being a mod would really suck.

• edited November 2023

@CharlieBear 😂 - you are a mod. Yeah, I agree though, bullying in every form would stop. Even if it’s opposing sides mimicking the bullying actions of the other.

• @CharlieBear I told ya I was having a BAD day that day ! 😂

• There is always going to be an ebb and flow to the site and forums and there will always be people who like how it's run and people who don't. Can't please everyone. And I hope that this doesn't turn into a back door for mod and site bashing, because no mod is perfect and no mod can please everyone but I do know that they do their best with what they are given , and have certain guidelines and protocols that they have to follow.

• And I hope that this doesn't turn into a back door for mod and site bashing

That is my concern as well. Arm chair quarterbacks are long on ideas and criticism and short on action.

• edited November 2023

I'm locking this thread. I'm highly suspicious of the sincerity of its intent given recent context of OP's account.

EDIT: I've placed OP's account in a 365 day time-out due to persistent community disruption.

This discussion has been locked.